Submit

Centre or 'Center'?
  Centre
  Center
View Results

IamredMage

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:25 am
Hi!

I decided to make this topic for British/English people who feel bogged down by the constant incorrect spellings and grammatical errors of the 'American English' that is used throughout Gaia.

A Quote:

'It was decided upon whence the continent of North America was colonised that it's main spoken language should be English. I fail to see why that has not happened.' rofl  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:14 pm
IamredMage
Hi!

I decided to make this topic for British/English people who feel bogged down by the constant incorrect spellings and grammatical errors of the 'American English' that is used throughout Gaia.

A Quote:

'It was decided upon whence the continent of North America was colonised that it's main spoken language should be English. I fail to see why that has not happened.' rofl

I will give you an answer. Its because ENGLAND DOES NOT OWN THE U.S ANYMORE. just because we do not spell as you do does not mean it is incorrect. you spell color like this "c-o-l-o-u-r" we spell it c-o-l-o-r. it is our country and if we decide its correct to spell it that way so be it, and if you feel so "bogged down" just quit gaia. and for your information gaia is in the U.S. not in england so get over it.  

Anabethe

IamredMage

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:18 am
meleny7
IamredMage
Hi!

A Quote:

I will give you an answer. Its because ENGLAND DOES NOT OWN THE U.S ANYMORE. just because we do not spell as you do does not mean it is incorrect. you spell color like this "c-o-l-o-u-r" we spell it c-o-l-o-r. it is our country and if we decide its correct to spell it that way so be it, and if you feel so "bogged down" just quit gaia. and for your information gaia is in the U.S. not in england so get over it.

Jesus, woman, take a chill pill. Seriously, you need to take life less seriously and stop acting like people are trying to offend you when they clearly aren't. If you can't even see the humour in that quote then seriously, just don't bother acting like a friggin injured party.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:26 pm
IamredMage
meleny7
IamredMage
Hi!

A Quote:

Jesus, woman, take a chill pill. Seriously, you need to take life less seriously and stop acting like people are trying to offend you when they clearly aren't. If you can't even see the humour in that quote then seriously, just don't bother acting like a friggin injured party.

no i wont chill out you are really ignorant for putting this topic up. and its stupid people like you that start problems. it doesnt matter if it was a joke its not a good one. and im positive that if i made an offensive topic about british people you would probably try to bite my head off. but clearly i have more sense than you and know not to do dumb things like that.so THINK before you post something stupid again.  

Anabethe

DZootZuiter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:52 am
meleny7
IamredMage
meleny7
IamredMage
Hi!

A Quote:

no i wont chill out you are really ignorant for putting this topic up. and its stupid people like you that start problems. it doesnt matter if it was a joke its not a good one. and im positive that if i made an offensive topic about british people you would probably try to bite my head off. but clearly i have more sense than you and know not to do dumb things like that.so THINK before you post something stupid again.

Oye, relax woman. He's right, American English is not the same English that is spoken in Europe. American English and the subsequent spelling of some of the words in the language has greatly changed from it's European conter part due in large fact to the different cultures that make there home here in the States.

Since the United States has a very unique blend of cultures, language and customs different factors went into the evolution of the language. Case in point the word "Colour" is originally from the French, which is why it's spelled that way outside of the United States, in the States since that "u" was never pronounced in spoken English, it was eventually dropped from the written version of it.

The man is right you shouldn't take life so damn serious, he was just trying to have a little laugh, if you take everything so seriously you're going to end giving yourself a heart attack.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:44 am
Exactly. Trust me, this topic isn't offending any americans with NORMAL blood pressure levels, and I've said nothing offensive about anyone. I understand that Gaia is mostly american - if I didn't, why would I put this in a 'foreign languages and cultures' forum? And trust me, after the stuff I've heard people on Gaia say about English people, nothing offends me anymore.  

IamredMage

Anabethe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:55 am
IamredMage
Exactly. Trust me, this topic isn't offending any americans with NORMAL blood pressure levels, and I've said nothing offensive about anyone. I understand that Gaia is mostly american - if I didn't, why would I put this in a 'foreign languages and cultures' forum? And trust me, after the stuff I've heard people on Gaia say about English people, nothing offends me anymore.

oh i have a normal blood pressure. put it this way ive met too many people like you that say s**t like that and most of them DO mean it. by you taking things like this as a joke gets me really annoyed because sometimes you just dont know if someone is joking or not. take this for example. someone put something up about hispanics going to their own country. they might be joking but who knows because we cant hear their tone. for anything online you dont really know the tone of the person, so the best thing to do is to chill out with things like this.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:00 am
meleny7
IamredMage

oh i have a normal blood pressure. put it this way ive met too many people like you that say s**t like that and most of them DO mean it. by you taking things like this as a joke gets me really annoyed because sometimes you just dont know if someone is joking or not. take this for example. someone put something up about hispanics going to their own country. they might be joking but who knows because we cant hear their tone. for anything online you dont really know the tone of the person, so the best thing to do is to chill out with things like this.

Yeah, but the thing is, insulting hispanic people and immigrants is wrong and spiteful. I've said nothing of the sort, starting this topic purely for english people to discuss the differences (which you have to admit can sometimes put people in humerous situations) between 'English English' and 'US English'. That's all, lol. No harm done...  

IamredMage

Anabethe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:52 am
IamredMage
meleny7
IamredMage

Yeah, but the thing is, insulting hispanic people and immigrants is wrong and spiteful. I've said nothing of the sort, starting this topic purely for english people to discuss the differences (which you have to admit can sometimes put people in humerous situations) between 'English English' and 'US English'. That's all, lol. No harm done...

ok thank god you have sense not to do that. fine i hate admitting im wrong but i apologize for misunderstanding what you were saying, but also i cant be fully blamed because reading messages and finding out if the person means it or not is really hard. >.< everyone doesn't interpret everything the same way sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:12 am
meleny7
IamredMage
meleny7
IamredMage

ok thank god you have sense not to do that. fine i hate admitting im wrong but i apologize for misunderstanding what you were saying, but also i cant be fully blamed because reading messages and finding out if the person means it or not is really hard. >.< everyone doesn't interpret everything the same way sweatdrop

lol, it's okay 0 I shall try to make my posts less ambiguous next time...  

IamredMage

Anabethe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:48 pm
Cool^_^ but its ok i have to stop taking things so seriously.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:18 am
Some spelling and term differences (British English on the left, American on the Right)

Aeroplane__________________Airplane
Aluminium__________________Aluminum
Analogue__________________Analog
Analyse__________________Analyze
Calibre__________________Caliber
Capitalise__________________Capitalize
Catalogue__________________Catalog
Cheque__________________Check
Clamour__________________Clamor
Colour__________________Color
Counsellor__________________Counselor
Dialogue__________________Dialog
Rubber__________________Eraser
diarrhoea__________________diarrhea
Doughnut__________________Donut
Draught__________________Draft
Favour__________________Favor
Encyclopaedia__________________Encyclopedia
Fibre__________________Fiber
Centre__________________Center
Theatre__________________Theater
Grey__________________Gray
Humour__________________Humor
Initialise__________________Initialize
Judgement__________________Judgment
Kilometre__________________Kilometer
Maximise__________________Maximize
Manoeuvre__________________maneuver
Mum__________________Mom
Pyjamas__________________Pajamas
Skilful__________________Skilfull
Smelt__________________Smelled
Towards__________________Toward
Tyre__________________Tire

Yeah, those're just a few...  

IamredMage

Anabethe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:11 pm
wow thats insane i just thought we spelled like two words differently. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:42 am
Alrighty then. I'm Dutch, so this whole English or American thing is really strange. I spell some words the English way and I spell some the American way. Frankly I don't think it matters wether you spell it colour or color. It all depends on if you're writing a paper, or a letter to a friend, or a book or story. Take it from someone on the gray end of the black and white spectrum. IT DOES NOT MATTER. IT MEANS THE SAME EXACT FROGGING THING. There. I've said my peice and I'm leaving now.  

SavingPollyOliver

Sparkly Sex Symbol

7,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Citizen 200

IamredMage

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:02 pm
Driinex_the_Flower_Child
Alrighty then. I'm Dutch, so this whole English or American thing is really strange. I spell some words the English way and I spell some the American way. Frankly I don't think it matters wether you spell it colour or color. It all depends on if you're writing a paper, or a letter to a friend, or a book or story. Take it from someone on the gray end of the black and white spectrum. IT DOES NOT MATTER. IT MEANS THE SAME EXACT FROGGING THING. There. I've said my peice and I'm leaving now.

Yeah, but sometimes (excuse me whilst I slip this amazing phraze in again somewhere...), in american context, English becomes so butchered (Oh, yeah, I knew I'd find a place for it somewhere...) that to a person who's taught english english from a young age, it becomes almost unrecognisable. You should have seen me the first time I heard an american refer to something as 'in back of' something else. My brain hurt for weeks...  
"FLC" Foreign Languages and Cultures

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff