Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What kind of Gaian are you?
  Greedy Merchant
  Struggling Merchant
  Forum only
  Forum and Merchant
  Noob (can't afford to contend in the market yet.)
View Results

newtypephynix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:50 pm
I address this through pure curiosity, I once played a different Gaia account, namely 'phynixblack' if you do not know. And was banned in my own seemingly meaningless opinion, unfairly.

But I dismiss my bitterness at that to point out the absolute and utter hostility that has arisen in this game, and while you may not see it as a life issue, Gaia is a part of our lives, is it not?

I must start from the very beginning again, I am what is referred to as a Noob, even though I am a veteran of this game.

I can't do a thing, I cannot put money in the game for Gaia cash, which would give me a great and easy boost in the market, because I am too poor for such mindless indulgence. Even if I sold all my items, I would have barely 1500 gold. which might get me a 'Red shirt' if I am lucky.

This doesn't even seem like a game, A game is a little on the easy side, just easy enough to keep you smiling, I come into Gaia solely to speak on this board, since I find myself drawn to the minds that flock here.

Experienced players would rather shoo new players away and price their items high enough that they would buy from their own store given the choice.

And new players beg incessantly only to waste what little they are given because they never learn how to do proper business. Actually, most experienced players don't seem to understand business at all, and how can one get the most from an economically structured game without knowledge of proper money handling?

I think I might quit the game, slowly, but surely enough, the game is morphing into something you have to pay to play to its fullest, it's like, you can log in free. wander free. spend free. but the 98% that is left of this game is blocked off by high price boundaries, sorta forcing the new player to buy into massive Gaia cash and collectibles, just to start out with at least 15000  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:16 am
Awww, don't quit! I've been hacked once and I had to start from scratch. Appeal your case and gather hope. You can rebuild your veteran state. Go for it!  

Bob and Dawn

Guardian1239

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:22 am
I enjoy talking to people over the forum and I'm looking forward to their new battle system. To be honest, I'm more of a battle system person, anyway. I don't remember why I started Gaia, but I'm glad I did. I don't care about my avatar too much, it's what you can do that makes this community so great.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:57 am
I agree, dont quit because of high prices. it's a game, and the point is to play around on it. who knows, you may get lucky and get a golden trunk with the most expensive prize in it. there are lots of ways to make gold, but that's really not the point. it's a place to make friends and have fun. I have a couple of guilds which I post in their forums, I like to go around collecting trash and flowers and sell them at reasonable prices in the market, sometimes I get lucky and grab a bargain at an auction, I play the jigsaw puzzles and sometimes fish and play at blackjack.

it sux that you were banned from your previous account tho, I admit that. so I guess all of this 'dont quit, it's fun!' easy for me to say. pm me if you want. maybe I can help you.  

Calypsophia

duo7700

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:00 am
Don't quit. The only way I got money was one day I got a WTF hat and sold it while it was worth 150k.
You don't need to have money irl to be successful in Gaia. I personally waste my money on two world of warcraft accounts biggrin
But it helps.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:32 pm
There are ways to make alot of gold... Without spending real money... It takes a while... But then again in the real world it takes time to save money... Save the money you get from walking about and stuff then start playing cards or something with tokens... The reason for this is you can sell tickets or even the item in the market place for more than you sent on tokens... Most of the time... It's a slow process but you make gold eventually... I lost alot of gold because I tried to make an investment but instead of the price going up it went down... So there is a bit of luck involved...  

kyoshiro2

newtypephynix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:29 pm
I'll be honest, I have played every darn game that you can find easy and play free, I am a bit of an online game veteran, I wont claim master, or near it, but I have seen a good many come and go.

Every time I get on Gaia, there is a flock of new economic issues that anyone can fix. It is not a game when a good 60 % of it's players are out to get everyone else out of greed. In-game greed, how stupid is that? I mean, there are at least 12 'no noob guilds' and such, This game is outright Hostile to new players. The arena is mean to newcomers, Some forums can get pretty mean, Towns is like a noob scam-trap, half of the inhabitants are websites mules copy/pasting so their website name floats over their head.

I will be honest, I love this game, I started because you need to be 13 to play, my little brothers were twelve and eight at the time, I would sit here and maneuvers about and we would play and build the avatar together. In all that time, I had never realized how mean this game is. I got lucky starting out, managed to scrounge three letters off the market for under 1000 due to 0 start bid and good timing. But you get that change once in a blue moon.

I asked someone a question in towns and got 'stfu you newb, quit the game.' I was outright angry. I know the market is not all that bad in reality, I own my own store in real life, But still, There is no real breaks for newbies, no wonder there are so many beggars. Maybe if the market learned true economic sanity we would all be better off. I always figured a game was something people could smile at, no reason I should find myself angry all the time, no reason at all.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:36 pm
Calypsophia
I agree, dont quit because of high prices. it's a game, and the point is to play around on it. who knows, you may get lucky and get a golden trunk with the most expensive prize in it. there are lots of ways to make gold, but that's really not the point. it's a place to make friends and have fun. I have a couple of guilds which I post in their forums, I like to go around collecting trash and flowers and sell them at reasonable prices in the market, sometimes I get lucky and grab a bargain at an auction, I play the jigsaw puzzles and sometimes fish and play at blackjack.

it sux that you were banned from your previous account tho, I admit that. so I guess all of this 'dont quit, it's fun!' easy for me to say. pm me if you want. maybe I can help you.

Thank you for the offer, that is awfully kind of you, But I kinda just wish enough people would come to grips, your right, its an online game, why is there greed on an online game? you know what I mean?  

newtypephynix

Guardian1239

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:53 pm
Greed exists in everything. There is no such thing as a self-less act. When we do something good, we get rewarded by feeling good. It's a basic part of every being, but some people let it consume them. It's really a shame that new members are treated that way, but one has to get used to that kind of a reaction if they wish to participate in any kind of online game.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:06 pm
newtypephynix
Calypsophia

Thank you for the offer, that is awfully kind of you, But I kinda just wish enough people would come to grips, your right, its an online game, why is there greed on an online game? you know what I mean?

hey no problem. and yeah, I know what you mean. I think the reason people get greedy on gaia is because they take it too seriously. I dont mind being generous (tho I tend not to be generous on here when it comes to beggars.. they're just looking to take advantage) with what I have because for me it's not serious, and I know what I have will be built back up. it's not like my rent is dependent on gaia gold, ya know?  

Calypsophia

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:11 pm
Guardian1239
Greed exists in everything. There is no such thing as a self-less act. When we do something good, we get rewarded by feeling good. It's a basic part of every being, but some people let it consume them. It's really a shame that new members are treated that way, but one has to get used to that kind of a reaction if they wish to participate in any kind of online game.

certainly there are selfless acts. your of thinking only makes it selfish if one is actively looking for self gratification. personally, I like to do nice things for people not because it makes me feel better, but because it might make them feel better.

not to mention I would die for my husband and child.. you cant tell me that wouldnt be a selfless act.. once I'm dead I wont be feeling anything.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:13 pm
Calypsophia
Guardian1239

certainly there are selfless acts. your of thinking only makes it selfish if one is actively looking for self gratification. personally, I like to do nice things for people not because it makes me feel better, but because it might make them feel better.

not to mention I would die for my husband and child.. you cant tell me that wouldnt be a selfless act.. once I'm dead I wont be feeling anything.

I am of course excluding love in what I said. Love and guardians are an exception to this. One reason I think I am a guardian is because I would be willing to sacrifice myself for just about anyone, even a complete stranger. Of course, this may be because I'm not afraid of death like many people are.

However, when not talking about love or guardians, when you make someone else feel better, you usually feel better about yourself. You're proud that you made the right decision.

Guardian1239

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:55 am
Guardian1239
Calypsophia
Guardian1239

I am of course excluding love in what I said. Love and guardians are an exception to this. One reason I think I am a guardian is because I would be willing to sacrifice myself for just about anyone, even a complete stranger. Of course, this may be because I'm not afraid of death like many people are.

However, when not talking about love or guardians, when you make someone else feel better, you usually feel better about yourself. You're proud that you made the right decision.

how can you exclude love? it is love that drives us (at least it does me) to reach out an help someone, even and especially a total stranger. such acts (stopping on the road to help someone who's car wont start, or taking a wounded animal to the nearest vet) are acts of compassion, and compassion is born from love. compassion is not the same as sympathy or empathy. those are just feeling regarding someones situation. the true meaning of compassion goes deeper than that.. it drives us to actually do something... to help.

@bold: so basically what you're saying is that your assessment of helping others goes for everyone but yourself? heh, I somehow doubt that. you could be whatever you want online, but in real life you cannot be the exception to your own rule.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:04 pm
Well. I guess I understand Gaia's flaw. The one way in which it will always fail.

Gaia may have a pretty real marketplace, and prices can rise and fall like in reality, But Gaia is run by younger kids, 13-16. I myself only see myself as excluded because of the way I make a living as a small business owner. Any random user on gaia wouldn't know the first thing about business.

Maybe I should just start posting How-to essays in other places. It isn't like good business is hard.

(btw, for the richer players out there, good business is not necessarily selling at top dollar every time. that is why our economy is ruined in this game.)

Guess I'll post my little way of doing it for newbs and unknowing alike.

Buy low, Sell high. Gaia likes that little saying. they are 100 % correct.
The way most try to get you is Buy low, sell higher higher higher higher.
You wanna buy an item to sell it again? use the Bid button, or orange button.

The bid button (orange) is what you want to rely on for making money without having to boost the market prices.

The Buy now (blue) button should be used mostly when buying for YOUR avatar. Trust me.

buy a 14000 item at 7000 through bidding smart, then sell it at 14000 on buy now. you make 7000 gold just like that, without chancing market pricing going up. THAT is good business.

That makes sense to all of you right? I wanna see if I can make a 'how to buy/sell' for newer players.  

newtypephynix

Guardian1239

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:02 pm
Calypsophia
Guardian1239
Calypsophia
Guardian1239

how can you exclude love? it is love that drives us (at least it does me) to reach out an help someone, even and especially a total stranger. such acts (stopping on the road to help someone who's car wont start, or taking a wounded animal to the nearest vet) are acts of compassion, and compassion is born from love. compassion is not the same as sympathy or empathy. those are just feeling regarding someones situation. the true meaning of compassion goes deeper than that.. it drives us to actually do something... to help.

@bold: so basically what you're saying is that your assessment of helping others goes for everyone but yourself? heh, I somehow doubt that. you could be whatever you want online, but in real life you cannot be the exception to your own rule.

You have defeated me in this arguement. I am sorry for stereotyping everyone. I seem to be unfortunate enough to know a lot of people like I was describing that seem to care about no one but themselves. It's not too often that I say that I am wrong.

As for my online life, I am more myself online than I am in real life. I'm not afraid to express my ideas when the person I'm talking to can't see me. No one in my real life knows about my religion I've started yet. I tend to hide myself around real people and become open when I'm typing.

"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff