Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §
Religious Tolerance: Your views Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Your tolerance level?
  Anyone who does not believe in my religion is going to hell. Convert!
  I hold some predjdice agianst those not of my faith, but I don't act on it.
  All people are good, just misguided.
  To each thier own
  We are all people and that's what should be most important in the day-to-day dealings with others
  I believe in my religion and have read up on other faiths to better undersstand the people who follow them
  GOLD!
View Results

King Robert Silvermyst

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:50 am
Religious tolerance. Something most every faith preaches, yet rarely practices. Convert or your screwed. According to our faith, that shouldn't be done. Well, if they don't believe in our faith, they must worship the devil. I'm sure we've all heard these lines before. But has anyone really took a step back to look at the other religions? See the hows and whys of thier faiths? Put aside thier own religious bias and accept that people believe in other things and accept them as equals? Has anyone ever thought that maybe all Deities exist? or perhaps there is one God who's aspects are all of these other Gods and Goddesses, meant to help form a deeper spiritual connection with the Divine? perhaps we need to stop comparing our faiths to the faiths of others, end the close mindedness and accept others as people of faith.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:35 am
I can be tolerant, but I don't tolerate people trying to do missionary services to me, I don't need to belong to any religion. I simply can't talk with too religious people, because in every second deeper discussion they try to involve their almighty being into it, or try to demote me to a lower being, because of my spiritual direction.

Anyways, religious tolerance is not existent, since almost every religion declares itself to be the only true one.

People not reading their own fundamental writings, like the bible or whatever hit the ground on me, because those are the fakest of the fakest, telling me about their god, without reading his word. Almost everyone of the religious people around me, seem to like cherry-picking their arguments and rules. They often give a ******** about rituals and pick the lines suiting best to their situation.  

Verderbnis

azrael the reaper_95210

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:54 pm
King Robert Silvermyst
Religious tolerance. Something most every faith preaches, yet rarely practices. Convert or your screwed. According to our faith, that shouldn't be done. Well, if they don't believe in our faith, they must worship the devil. I'm sure we've all heard these lines before. But has anyone really took a step back to look at the other religions? See the hows and whys of thier faiths? Put aside thier own religious bias and accept that people believe in other things and accept them as equals? Has anyone ever thought that maybe all Deities exist? or perhaps there is one God who's aspects are all of these other Gods and Goddesses, meant to help form a deeper spiritual connection with the Divine? perhaps we need to stop comparing our faiths to the faiths of others, end the close mindedness and accept others as people of faith.

I am completly tolerant in all those aspects. I have a religion, but as none of us have concrete evedence, I can accept that I may very well be dead wrong. Any one of our religions could be right or wrong. It might even be that we are all wrong. I wont put down anyones beliefs, no matter how strange or off the wall it may seem to me.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:38 pm
I dont have a religion. I have a bunch of philosophical beliefs, but that's about it. I also have the utmost tolerance and respect for the religious beliefs of others, tho I have no tolerance for a religious individual that lacks tolerance or respect for me and my own ideas.  

Calypsophia

hydaIV

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:31 pm
well i won't say i really have a religion. my parents force me to go to church so i wouldn't really say that i have a specific religion. but i believe that no religion is right. its just beliefs. there is no one solid right answer because there r loop holes in every theory. no one religion has solid evedence. i dont really care what other people believe. i respect there beleifs and let them do as they wish. i dont really like when people get all religious on u cause its just kinda wierd. i mean all religions have really crazy stories and some of them r very hard to believe. i would rather stay neutral on religious beliefs.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:20 pm
Nurge

Anyways, religious tolerance is not existent, since almost every religion declares itself to be the only true one.

Actually that is not true. there are some religions that do not declare that they are the 'one true path' I know the kemetic orthodoxy, Buhdists, Hermetics and some covents of Wicca, do not profess to be the'one true path', but to be A path of spirituality. Religious tolerance also does not mean one entire religion holds tolerances to other religions. That would certainly be ideal. What I mean by religious tolerance is we and individual people can become (and some already are) tolerant of other walks of faith.  

King Robert Silvermyst

Kachan36

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:57 am
When I was in college, I had the opportunity to hear Eli Weisel speak at my school. (For those who don't know, Weisel is a Holocaust survivor, Nobel Laureate, political activist, and the author of the well-known memoir Night.) I don't remember his words exactly--I wish I had written them down--but the one thing I will never forget is that he said he did not like the word "tolerance." Religious tolerance suggests that we are merely putting up with different ideas and beliefs, while still believing them to be inferior to our own. Tolerating other religions is like tolerating a headache; you can deal with it, but you wish it were gone.

What Weisel wanted instead was for people to understand and embrace each other because of their differences, not in spite of them. The best way to eliminate hatred and to live in peace with those who have different beliefs is to get to know why they believe what they believe and to understand that we are all people who all got here the same way, no matter what way we believe that to be.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:14 pm
Kachan36
When I was in college, I had the opportunity to hear Eli Weisel speak at my school. (For those who don't know, Weisel is a Holocaust survivor, Nobel Laureate, political activist, and the author of the well-known memoir Night.) I don't remember his words exactly--I wish I had written them down--but the one thing I will never forget is that he said he did not like the word "tolerance." Religious tolerance suggests that we are merely putting up with different ideas and beliefs, while still believing them to be inferior to our own. Tolerating other religions is like tolerating a headache; you can deal with it, but you wish it were gone.

What Weisel wanted instead was for people to understand and embrace each other because of their differences, not in spite of them. The best way to eliminate hatred and to live in peace with those who have different beliefs is to get to know why they believe what they believe and to understand that we are all people who all got here the same way, no matter what way we believe that to be.

That is sooo true...
However when i say "Tolerance" I mean exactly that. I'm a Buddhist, and I believe that every religion has something to say about life, and that all religions lead to the same ultimate path of enlightenment. To me, Religion is like a medicine for the soul. People have different spiritual needs. Sort of like you wouldn't take a cough drop if you head hurt.

I always remember this simple quote by HH the Dalai Lama when it comes to other faiths, "This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness."  

Je Suis La Vie

Liberal Millionaire

5,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Signature Look 250

Kachan36

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:33 am
Antron3001
Kachan36

That is sooo true...
However when i say "Tolerance" I mean exactly that. I'm a Buddhist, and I believe that every religion has something to say about life, and that all religions lead to the same ultimate path of enlightenment. To me, Religion is like a medicine for the soul. People have different spiritual needs. Sort of like you wouldn't take a cough drop if you head hurt.

I always remember this simple quote by HH the Dalai Lama when it comes to other faiths, "This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness."

I love this idea! If I were to ever tap into my spiritual/religious side, this is how I would like to look at it. At the moment, I'm very pragmatic and logic oriented, but who knows? Someday, I may need some soul medicine.

P.S. I like your signature, too!  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:15 pm
Kachan36

I love this idea! If I were to ever tap into my spiritual/religious side, this is how I would like to look at it. At the moment, I'm very pragmatic and logic oriented, but who knows? Someday, I may need some soul medicine.

P.S. I like your signature, too!

Buddhism is a very logical and pragmatic religion. Its very practical because it teaches us to learn about everything. It teaches us to never stop asking questions; in fact the Buddha said, "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." To me this very revolutionary in religious thought, and practical. To many of us, we MUST believe in the dogma of a religion, without asking questions. This, I believe, limits the knowledge that one can attain should they follow this guideline.

And, thanx...i love my siggy too heart 4laugh  

Je Suis La Vie

Liberal Millionaire

5,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Signature Look 250

Card_King1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:58 pm
Like what has been brought out earlier, there is more than one kind of tolerance. One kind where you know in your heart that another person isn't right but you still love them and accept them and treat them the same way that you would treat anyone else on the planet.
The other kind is a step farther, to be that kind of tolerant you must actually accept that the other person is correct. I can certainly treat a homosexual exactly the same way as another person. I can respect them as a person. Sometimes even more that some other Christians because they are willing to make a stand for what they believe. but I know that they are wrong.
I love them as a person, and can accept them and would never dream of telling them they are going to hell, just like that. What Christians often don't realize is that they are just as guilty in God's eyes as everybody else on the face of the earth.
I can accept you and love you as a person, but It would be wrong for my to endorse what you believe as right. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. I'm not sure if I'm being totally clear.
Thanks for listening,
Benjamin  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:06 pm
I must say "To each their own" here.
I simply do not let such things get in the way of any personal feelings.
I am "Christian", basically anyway. Yet, some of my best friends are "Satanists", "Devil-Worshippers", etc. I find our conversations and debates most interesting.

They respect me, because I respect them and their views.
and my views  

Al-aaraaf

Kachan36

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:02 am
Al-aaraaf
I am "Christian", basically anyway. Yet, some of my best friends are "Satanists", "Devil-Worshippers", etc. I find our conversations and debates most interesting.

and my views

I like the word "respect" better than I like the word "tolerance." I think that's a much better way to describe the way we should think about, and treat, people who have different ideas than we do. We should appreciate and accept them, not just put up with them.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:12 am
Kachan36
Al-aaraaf

and my views

I like the word "respect" better than I like the word "tolerance." I think that's a much better way to describe the way we should think about, and treat, people who have different ideas than we do. We should appreciate and accept them, not just put up with them.

yeah, that sounds a little more accurate of a word........  

azrael the reaper_95210

hazel843

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:16 am
I tolerate other religons and I dont get really wound up about them, but my dad does ,its embarrasing in public redface  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff