Submit

Do you believe in God?
  Yes
  No
  Unsure
View Results

ooky dookz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:23 pm

So recently, some people asked me if I believed in God. However, I wasn't sure how to answer. I feel like there is something higher, but I'm not sure if it's God.

Points to Discuss:
- Is there a God?
- Who is God?
- What powers does God possess?
- If there is a higher power, but not God, what it is?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:29 am
sounds to me like you may be a little agnostic. agnostics believe that there is a higher power, but it may or may not be god or some other religious icon. some agnostics follow a particular religion, but still accept that they may be wrong, while others dont. Thats sort of how I am. I follow baptist christianity, and believe it, but if im wrong, i can accept that. I will not shove a bible down a non-believer's throat by any means..... but i will help those who seek help.  

azrael the reaper_95210

Aceys Son - Soul Nommer

Friendly Streaker

9,325 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:18 am
I believe 100%. In fact thats why I am how I am now...I went to a Private School for Preschool through 8th grade and I am perfectly content with my beliefs I like Azrael won't shove my beliefs down anyones throat but I will not accept anyone talking bad about God or Jesus in my presence.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:11 pm
I'm a little unsure. Actually, I'm a lot unsure. I think there's something out there, but I don't know whether to classify it as God or not. Maybe it's like the Force, maybe it's omnipotent and omnipresent, or maybe it's akin to the gods of ancient mythology.
I don't know, and it's kind of scary to think about at times.

Parisian Loafer

the_forgotten_thought

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:59 pm
well, i believe in god. but i don't believe he wants us to go to church to prove our loyalty. i think that all that matters is if we're good people. and then, even if by some off chance i am wrong, then at least i was a good person.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:14 am
the_forgotten_thought
well, i believe in god. but i don't believe he wants us to go to church to prove our loyalty. i think that all that matters is if we're good people. and then, even if by some off chance i am wrong, then at least i was a good person.

I like this one. Yes, I go on occasion, but I dont believe you have to go every sunday, be participant in everything, etc in order to go to heaven. I believe we all have a private relationship with god, and we all have our own purpose/purposes we are sent here for. And yes, for some ppl, I think that being mega-involved with a church is their purpose. they keep it going, and spread the word. That is an important purpose, for sure, but not mine necissarily.
I have not found any major purpose as of yet, but so far I set a good example to others (i am to many ppl, the more honest and good hearted person they know!), I spread a message of tollerance (which in modern days is an important one), and I reach out to those who are often unaccepted (in high school, my "posse" was the fat kid, the nerd, etc). So I'd say I'm generally on to a good start.  

azrael the reaper_95210

Aceys Son - Soul Nommer

Friendly Streaker

9,325 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:19 pm
Hey Azrael which one was I the nerd or the fat kid?

I believe church is a way to figure out if you want to follow that religion or not and since parents make their kids go every sat. or sun. when the kids grow up they go and make their kids go every sat. or sun. out of habit.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:31 am
I believe in no higher being, but there may be a power equal to us that exists outside of our own senses, so I'm kinda atheist/quasi-agnostic  

AShadowsEmbrace

Je Suis La Vie

Liberal Millionaire

5,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:07 am
To me, there could be a 'god', but I don't believe that we have to worship it. To me, worshiping something is quite stupid. I am a Buddhist though.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:45 pm
Odin the Paladin
Hey Azrael which one was I the nerd or the fat kid?

I believe church is a way to figure out if you want to follow that religion or not and since parents make their kids go every sat. or sun. when the kids grow up they go and make their kids go every sat. or sun. out of habit.

(adam was the fat kid, brandon was the nerd... you? you was an "etc".)

but yeah, u got a good point there. many ppl do things the same way they were used to growing up, out of habit. though many others actually take the opposite path. ive seen several ppl here who are from or formerly from catholic schools who are currently athiests or buddhists.  

azrael the reaper_95210

Aceys Son - Soul Nommer

Friendly Streaker

9,325 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:51 pm
Yeah thats true. but I've seen very few of them.

So What does etc. include?  
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:13 pm
Je Suis La Vie
To me, there could be a 'god', but I don't believe that we have to worship it. To me, worshiping something is quite stupid. I am a Buddhist though.

how can you be a Buddhist and not believe in worship? confused

anywho, I believe with my whole heart that there is a God.
there is no unstableness in my faith on that because my soul
is too important to me to gamble on.I believe in the God of Abraham,Isaic,
and Jacob, the Great I Am, ect... I believe all humanity is born into sin
because of Adam's mistake brought about by satan's rebellion towards God.
I believe that God saw that people were being trapped by their sin and
doesn't want them to go to hell (which was made by God for the
punishment of sin, since the Bible says the wages of sin is death) And
therefore loved us so much that He sent His son to earth who willingly
died and bled and became sin and bore the punishment of the sin of
every human being so that if we put our faith and life and belief on Him
and accept that he paid the price for our sins, we might have eternal
and everlasting life with God our Father.

This is the correctly named Christian faith.

if you have any questions for me, please go ahead and ask.
I don't want anyone to hesitate ok.  

FREAKAman01

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:55 pm
I am, personally, an agnostic-atheist: I hold to no religion and believe in no god, I do not claim to know any more than anyone else, and I give great thought to evaluating religion, beliefs, faiths, etc. from a logical, evidence-based perspective.  
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:56 pm
I like your sig, Nemesis. It's kind of paradoxical to the Catholic faith. (used to be Catholic.) XP

I believe in God, but it's a little different on what some people are used to. I think God doesn't have a form (think invisible fog) , and doesn't really caring what we do. He is a non-breathing, or non-thinking form.
He's the one that triggered the creation of the universe, and helped creation do its thing. He helps keep nature in check, and does what he can to keep the planet alive (think of the earth's changes in global warming).
If we pray to him, He won't listen. Only actions of those that are willing to make change, will make change. How big the change is what will affect the lives of others.  

Volucris Ego

7,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100

akira-otomo

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:20 am
Maybe ... I don't know. For the time being, I'm an atheist, but I suppose that if I want a happy life that I should follow a religion. I think that really, there is no "afterlife", we just die, we stop living, we have no soul, we become a life-less shell and bodies get buried in the ground and rot. But if I believed in a religion, then there would be an after-life, a heaven or hell, something to look forward to, to be with God.
Looking at burial for religious reasons, we plant the bodies in the ground so that new life can come from the earth (Copyright FFVII ...).
But what if there is a God, what if he/she/it gave me the life I have, and this is how I repay the Supreme Being?
Back to one of the earlier posts, "I believe there is something bigger, better, ect. But is it God?", there is always someone or something better, something important, your parents, boy- and girlfriends, husbands, wives, those who know more, family, friends, ect. Pets are probably the best things that matter to you with pets, but they get the most s**t the world has ever seen. People don't appreciate that pets and animals have lives to. Every time you crush a fly, kick a dog, flick a bee, think that someone or something has taken their time to make that animal you just hurt, maybe not God, but the parents. Fellow humans get tortured every day, insulted, hurt, killed, someone or something made them too, taken their time to create that person and when you insult that person, you insult their makers for making them in-perfectly.
If there is a god, why do they let bad things happen, the attack on the World Trade Center, the Izmit Earthquake, the death and starvation everyday, to the innocent people who do nothing wrong, the believers, the dis-believers, they are treated alike, the sinners and the do-gooders, so why are those who just live their life in harmony with everybody else are killed and tortured for nothing, they do nothing wrong yet are prosecuted for the wrongs of others, tell me, would a god, would the God do this to innocent people?
But maybe there is a God, one that makes people live in harmony, to show others the error of their ways. "Deliver us from evil", they are sacrificed to keep others safe, the needs of the one or the needs of the many?
If there is a God, am I doing wrong? Am I going to be sent to hell? But if I am, will God ever forgive me?  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff