Reply "ALI" Advice for Life Issues
Stuff that will save you in highschool. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

K1T3

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:55 pm
hi everyone my name is kite i am a junior in highschool. i'm about to take you into the world of highschool. yes it's a scary place and i will guide you through these tough heart wrenching issues. keep in mind this guide isn't meant to take literally you can change it up a bit just in case to suit your style or adapt to the areas.

let's get started.

BACKPACK = LIFESAVER
now one thing i've came to notice is that many highschoolers come in with no idea on how to carry their stuff. many use their friends packs. not to be offensive but this is literally annoying. i don't someone putting their stuff in there. i got my own things to worry about not his moldy sandwhich.
to combat this i prefer using a laptop pack. yes they may seem nerdy at first but believe me they'll save your life. they have alot of places to hide things, they can carry textbooks. me ? i carry a first aid kit and extra tissues/ napkins. just in case you have trouble at anytime.
now i know what you're saying why 35 dollar pack? well let's see do you wanna spend 40 dollars on a tiny pack that can't hold anything that makes you look tired from carrying stuff in your hands? OR do you wanna use a pack that leaves your hands free and makes you look more sophisticated to your peers and teachers?

next part we come to calculators. i prefer a texas instrument ti 83. yes they maybe 80-90 dollars but they're accepted by most teachers giving you an edge for later highschool or college yrs with it's graphing capabilities.

now we come to the point where everyone gets a lil nitpicky about stuff. pens pencils and notebooks. well thanks to that big laptop pack you now have, you can carry all of that stuff.
make sure you have college ruled notebooks/paper
mechanical pencils are good. 0.7 and 0.9 leads are very good
pens any is good. but prefer eraseable.

always and i mean always carry around a planner. that's one of teh most important things you can have. of course if you're the more techno savy you can use a blackberry. but the teacher will usually confiscate that so ya lol.

COMING TO SCHOOL

now next part of this guide is related to style. your style determines who your friends and enemies will be for the next couple of yrs. it's good to stay within your own style. that way everyone will like you. i know there's a thing about emo and punk and all these other new stereotypes out there but they just categorize yourself and make you feel surpressed and making you regret it later. just be yourself and you'll gain many friends.

STUDYING
make sure you eat regular healthy meals. lol who am i kidding? lol. just make sure it's good enough so that you don't get sick. healthy body = healthy mind. get to bed before or at 9:30pm. this will allow your body to recharge and allow you to get up early enough to plan out your day. always eat breakfast i can't stress that enough.

Gf's and Bf's

now i know alot of you like to get into that sort of thing but believe me highschool relationships usually end at the end of the yr. usually around this time. not saying it's bad but if you got someone who won't let you go keep them.

now there are abusive people out there. so try to steer clear of them.
try balancing time.

PASSTIMES
this part relates to the whole partying scene. i won't go into it cuz it's a little racy so ill just give simple advice about it. DON"T GO. we know it seems fun and all that jazz but cmon you don't need bad stuff getting into your body.

apart from that plz do you best to relieve stress and anger. highschool isn't a battle field.

DEALING WITH FRIENDS

being alone usualy seems like a good idea at first but no it's teh worst idea you could ever do. and pushing people away just makes you look more like a bad person. so if someone tries to talk to you who notices your sad jsut let them. sure it may seem weird but cmon wouldn't you try to help someone who was down? be agood person accept it or give it.

For Band people X3.

alright in terms of band people you'd already be set if you are one . with your multitasking abilities. plz be careful with yourselves out there. if you're a leader don't be the bad guy. be a good leader help anyone in your unit. not your section every single person in your unit whether they'd be someone you broke up with in band or w/e. once you're in band mode that doesn't matter.

but if you're not give them respect they work even more harder than anyone. if you don't like them who cares? it's like stereotyping someone just for being who they are. that is RUDE.

any thing you'd like to add please feel free to do so.  
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:37 pm
I completely agree, I'm only a freshman correction sophomore, but I oringally bought a laptop bag, it can hold all of my books and still looks great, The gf bf thing completely agree with. In the last week I have seen so many people cry, and someone who doesn't try to stay with you over the summer is not worthy of your time.

Another thing I would like to add is make friends with upper classmen, they will help you out if you get lost, in trouble, or if your an emotional wreck, where I go to school you can walk up to anyone and tell them your having a bad day and they will sit down and talk to you and find out how to help you.  

~AwatingDarkness~

Zat In The Hat

Hilarious Capitalist

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:17 pm
Thanks i can use this when i enter high school. BTW using a laptop case is good and all but for about 40 bucks you can get a better book bag which can take like 5 minutes to check seeing how big it is but for defense if your a band geek a clarinet , oboe , or flute case (like mine) are a good option. I would also recommend buying a fraction calculator (like my Casio fx-300ms) which will set you back about antoher 50 bucks or so but it will make fractions and tests easier and less fustrating beacuse this thing as more faster shortcuts than any other calculator i ever seen.  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:28 pm
ok so i'm going to be a junior this coming school year so here are someof my tips/commentaries on the original post:

-laptop bags are great for everything, you can hide almost anything in them ^^

-don't bring drugs to school. i know, it seems like common sense, but you'd be surprised. i don't care if you do them, just don't bring 'em to school because it's almost a given that you'll get caught

-find a good set of friends your freshman year, chances are, they'll last you all through high school

-hang out with people that you enjoy talking to, don't just hang out with them cause they're popular or whatever. what'll happen is you'll be popular but you'll never look like you're having fun which leads to less people wanting to hang around you

-just get it done and over with the first time. seriously

-enjoy yourself, after high school you're stuck working full time for the next 60 years ^^

thats pretty much it i guess

dark_raez

MiStiEM00K

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:05 pm
I can keep a [(secret)] if you can keep me guessing
the //flavor// of your lips is enough to keep me pressing ...

as a soon to be sophisticated moron {{sophmore}}
here it goes:
- don;t carry a freshman book bag.
they look ridiculous.

-make friends with the upperclassmen.
they;re not scary.

-girlfriend boyfriend thing i don;t exactly agree with.
you should have fun, and if you want one, go ahead.
just don;t get too serious.
92% of high school relationships don;t last forever.
but a lot of them do last for a few years.
... for more than just a [(moment)] of truth between the //lies//
told to pull ourselves away from the _lives_ we leave back

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:01 pm
i totally agree with you. that and dont procrastinate and try your best on EVERYTHING because this is your building block for college. And college is the real deal, they use your grades to determine your eligebility for jobs.  

xxtaintedlips

Zaevia

5,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:52 pm
If you're say...a sophomore/junior/senior, and you've just moved to a new state/city/whatever here are some helpful tips.

-If you promised you're old friends at you're old school that you wouldn't make any new friends and that they'll be the only friends you ever have...slap yourself. You WILL NOT make it though the rest of high school without new friends. Plus, you'll be bored and lonely. Try to be friends with as many people as you like, just as long as you can get along with them and vise versa. Don't throw yourself at the popular crowd, they'll think that you're desperate and they'll shun you.

-MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE that you memorize the school floor plan and the teachers' names within the first two weeks. Do the same for your locker combination.

-This next one you really need to pay attention to: If you live on the east coast of the US or anywhere where there are a LOT of black people (I'm not being racist, but if you're not black, pay attention), DO NOT EVER tell them to "shut up" or anything negative like that. I made that mistake at my school and they made my sophomore year complete HELL. (Well most of them anyway...)

-Don't slack on your school work because of friends or a boyfriend/girlfriend; when/if they ditch you, you'll regret it.

-Be yourself, not whats popular.

-Fighting is pointless.

-Don't tell lies about your old life. Be honest.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:00 pm
As someone who JUST graduated, I'll say this: When you're given homework, do it and turn it in. Do things the first time around, it will be worth it in the long run. Then your Senior year you don't have to worry about your GPA and credits that you don't have.  

Liara Miyu

Cykik

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:39 pm
I have just finished my Junior year in highschool and let me tell you:
That is the worst year of your effing life.
Everything is so stressful, you have multiple projects due in a short time period and you have to deal with the everyday drama friends {especially female} bring up.

As for relationships...It's true that the majority of them don't last out of highschool. But I'm on my 1 year and 5 months mark of being in a relationship with the most wonderful young man. He's kinda clueless, okay, kinda really clueless, but I'm also not the easiest girlfriend a guy could ask for.
In relationships, stay away from the people who are more likely to abuse you/control you, yes, this includes manipulation. The shy types, I've found, are more gentle and sweet. They're more nurturing than say, the loud, annoying prep/jock. And if you feel that you really do love them, tell them, if they run off, then that means they weren't ready for that type of relationship {or any kind of relationship for that matter}.
Here's an example of a No-No relationship:: The guy picks up the girl and pretends to drop her and/or pretends to hit her really hard. Or even worse, actually does hit her really hard. If the guy calls the girl a 'b***h' then the girl should be smart enough to dump his f***ing a**.

IMPORTANT: Keep a friggin' eye on your stuff! I've had more pens and pencils stollen this year than in Junior High and Grade School put together. I don't know why, but highschool students love to steal from one another, and they love their cliques.

I don't find anything wrong with being alone during lunch. You get to eat your meal in peace, you get to read your book, do your homework, or play a hand-held videogame.
Granted, this is not for the socialites. They need people and conversation.
{Unlike me. In real life, I'm more likely to tell you to shove off than sit down and be buddy-buddy with you. But on the internet, since I don't have to go to school with you people, I like you all and I'm much more inclined to be friendly}

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:34 pm
Hmm... as a newly graduate, I would like to add a few things.

~The library's a safe haven if you find yourself alone. There's free access to books and computers.

~Head for class when the five-minute bell rings, not before unless there's an assignment due you're working on. That way at the first day of class, you can tell where which clicks sit and avoid/join as they enter.

~Turn everything you can in, even if it's homework because the points add up. And if it's late, try turning it in even if the teacher said she won't accept it; most change their minds not even half way through the semester.

~I would suggest bringing money for the school snack bar instead of their lunch program. The stuff there you can actually eat, as opposed to cardboard pizza.

~Try and get PE classes before lunch. It's not fun running on a full stomache.

~Don't be afraid to work/eat/sit alone. Not everything revolves around your friends, and peer pressure sucks. "No" may become a very hard word to say, but keep in mind that most of your friends at high school aren't going to stay in your life afterwards.

~If you don't like somebody, be curtious to them anyways. It's a waste of time being enemies, and what you say could affect their life decisions. Depression is almost common in high school, and low self-esteem is more so. Don't be the one person who throws them off the edge because you couldn't say a kind word.

Lirel

K1T3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:44 am
my teacher gave us tips on how to cope with sleep. i don't do these but it may help.

go to sleep at 9:30. so you can wake up around 5 or 6, eat a healthy breakfast like bread or even cereal. becareful of milk that stuffcan kill ya. be sure to drink tea once your'e done. your stomach reacts bad when it feels the cold air, the tea will help it cope.

once this is done it should be 6:30 am. if you're ride is ready then i say go. or just make sureyour work is all in order b4 you leave to the bus stop.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:29 pm
You wrote a pretty good guide for having never been in high school! The relationship thing, and backpack thing is totally true! And, especially the calculator part! It's soooooo helpful to have a graphing calculator especially in high math classes and physics! I just graduated, so, I'd know!
Oh, by the way, if anyone needs any advice about high school or middle school or elementary school just ask!  

Chefeetaboopers

8,325 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Friendly 100

QUW00SH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:10 am
my personal rules for highschool would be:
1: dont change urself for a guy, or to be in a certain group of friends. if they dont like u for who u r, THEY ARENT WORTH IT.
2: i c a lot of ppl at my school lugging their books aroud school cuz they dont want to use their lockers. DONT BE LIKE THIS, LOCKERS ARE THERE FOR A REASON, USE THEM.
3: have lock combinations written down somewhere where u can find them, and make sure u kno which combo goes to which lock. I made the mistake of not writing it down once, and when i came back from winter break, i forgot my p.e. locker combo. luckily, they had it written down on the cards they made us sign in the beginning of the year, so i just asked a teacher, and they found the card for me.
4: make some friends. i'm not saying u have to have a lot of friends, or that its a bad thing to do things by urself, but it always helps to have someone there for u when u need help.
5: always do ur homework.... i got a c in a class cuz of this last semester, when i could've had an a, if I'd just did my homework. dont make the same mistake i did.
6: have fun, and enjoy the schooltime expirience. u may think u hate school now, and that ur teachers are terrible/mean or think its too much work, but later on in life, u'll have to maintain a job and a steady income, and deal with new ppl such as ur boss or coworkers, who could easily make ur life hell. when this happens, u'll be looking back at these lost years, also known as "the good ole days" wishing u were still there, so enjoy them while they last. (this doesnt apply to everyone, but it does apply to a lot of ppl)  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:13 am
More advice:
Be yourself! Stay true!
Have fun.. but, don't follow the crowd. Follow the beat of your own drum.
Try participating in all things YOU think is fun. Don't listen to others when they say you're missing out because you didn't go to a dance or a sports game or pep rally.
Try staying away from drugs. And bad behaviors.
Don't bring a gun or knife or weapon to school.. (obviously XP)
Try to do your best in class! As long as you try, then you're not a failure even if you get a bad grade.
USE your lockers! Backpacks that are heavy can cause injuries!
Try making friends with both the students and staff! It'll make life much easier!
Don't pick on people. Accept or at least tolerate diversity.
Learn as much as you can! IT'S FREE EDUCATION!!!!!
Try learning new things! ( I learned auto and woodshop and art! It's all fun!!!)
Don't worry about who's popular and who isn't. concentrate on school work.
make sure to get adequate sleep and always eat breakfast because it helps stimulate the mind.
Don't be afraid to ask for help!!!
not taking an SAT and/or ACT test does NOT make you a loser!
Try to be a good team player in teamwork situations in class.
Be respectful to both teachers and students.
Study before a test!!
Always take notes!!!
Pay attention in class!!!

Study your schedule and a school map before the first day of a new year so you don't get lost trying to find your classes.
Always carry your books with you or keep a reminder so you don't get marked down for not having your books.
set aside time for homework outside of school!
Be open to criticism!  

Chefeetaboopers

8,325 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Friendly 100

mistique_knight

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:09 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

make an alliance!
kick bullies out of your way
and never let anyone make you feel inferior

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff