Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Soul mates? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kairi_angel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:49 pm
I feel I need to ask. :<

Do you believe in soul mates? What makes a soul mate? Is it a bunch of horseshit? (and for the last one I really hope you aren't saying that because you don't see yourself finding someone! that's depressing! ;-; )

This is probably a d**k thing to say but I feel I've found mine...
It just feels...well...cliché I know, but it just feels right, you know?
From just the 6 months we've dated, we've found that we love everything about each other and a strange thing is that we've both had dreams in the past about each other...without actually knowing each other yet at the time...
I have no idea how else to explain it else than when I'm with him I feel the same way I do in good dreams. Flying.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:51 pm
I don't believe in soul-mates.
At least I don't believe that everyone has one.
What's with mentally retarded people? Blind people? Heavily disabled people? Evil people who go to jail for multiple homicides?
If you've been a normal person until the age of 12 and had a soul-mate, and then had a huge car accident and become tied to your bed for the rest of your life, what happens to your soul-mate? Do you lose your soul-mate? What is your soul-mate going to do now, since you're not "available" any more?
If not everyone has a soul-mate, who's the one who decides who has one and who doesn't?
I don't believe in destiny and I don't believe that you are predestined to end up with a particular person. I think that every relationship needs work. A lot of work if you want it to last.  

Symbolism of number One

kairi_angel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:25 pm
Symbolism of number One
I don't believe in soul-mates.
At least I don't believe that everyone has one.
What's with mentally retarded people? Blind people? Heavily disabled people? Evil people who go to jail for multiple homicides?
If you've been a normal person until the age of 12 and had a soul-mate, and then had a huge car accident and become tied to your bed for the rest of your life, what happens to your soul-mate? Do you lose your soul-mate? What is your soul-mate going to do now, since you're not "available" any more?
If not everyone has a soul-mate, who's the one who decides who has one and who doesn't?
I don't believe in destiny and I don't believe that you are predestined to end up with a particular person. I think that every relationship needs work. A lot of work if you want it to last.

And what if the person loves you even though you're blind? My grandmother is blind. She got married and s**t.
I know two retards who are dating. They seem happy.
Saying people can't love and have another who loves them regardless is pretty bold to say, don't you think?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:41 pm
I do believe in soul mates... but I'm also a bit curious about a few things too.

What if you find your soul mate and then he/she dies sooner then expected?? Is there such a thing as more then one soul mate?? Or was that person who died truly not your soul mate?? Does everyone find their soul mate before they die?? Or do some people go through life being with the wrong person who really isn't their soul mate??

anime_freak_kouga

kairi_angel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:21 pm
anime_freak_kouga
I do believe in soul mates... but I'm also a bit curious about a few things too.

What if you find your soul mate and then he/she dies sooner then expected?? Is there such a thing as more then one soul mate?? Or was that person who died truly not your soul mate?? Does everyone find their soul mate before they die?? Or do some people go through life being with the wrong person who really isn't their soul mate??

Well...the whole dying thing has to go into the play of destiny and whatnot.

And there is such thing as suicide...it happens unfortunately.

I think maybe a person can find another love...But I don't really know about soul mates, you know?
And I think some people do go through life and can actually walk down the street right past their true soul mate with someone that isn't really the one...but that's just me.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:58 pm
Hey!

I don't believe in soul-mates, because, believe it or not, the world does not work perfectly in that way. [which is sad, but true]

But what I do believe is that if you find someone who cares for you a lot and is just happy spending time with you, he/she is the one for you. But that does not mean that problems will not occur along the way, because in this imperfect society, they will, and it is up to the two people to work it out.

So yea, I believe soul-mates can never exist in this imperfect world and that finding someone that cares about you dearly is finding "the one" for you.

Peace

-CV  

sapphiredream91

Silvie Verisimilitude

Gracious Hunter

6,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:11 am
I'd like to believe that a counterpart to my soul exists. It's just with the world being as it is...it's hard. Who can really say though? Perhaps it's because of the tragedies that we can't find our soul mate. They're already gone and we have to settle for second, third, fourth, or no best at all.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:52 pm
kairi_angel

And what if the person loves you even though you're blind? My grandmother is blind. She got married and s**t.
I know two retards who are dating. They seem happy.
Saying people can't love and have another who loves them regardless is pretty bold to say, don't you think?

Situations you described are rare exceptions rather than common occurrences. If you're institutionalized (especially in my country - it doesn't matter where I live) you will not find anyone, let alone your soul-mate. You'll be tied to a bed and treated like an animal.  

Symbolism of number One

Symbolism of number One

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:54 pm
And the concept of soul-mates would require the even number of people living on this planet. However, there's a lot more women than men. Some men are gay and some women are lesbian. Even if we don't count them, there's still much more straight women than straight men.

And, by the way, saying that there are no soul-mates is not the same as saying that people can't love and have someone who loves them back unconditionally. I have seen love, so I know it exists. But I don't believe that what I saw was a couple of soul-mates or two people joined by destiny. Love does exist, but not everyone can find it. Not everyone is looking for it either.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:23 pm
Symbolism of number One
And the concept of soul-mates would require the even number of people living on this planet. However, there's a lot more women than men. Some men are gay and some women are lesbian. Even if we don't count them, there's still much more straight women than straight men.

And, by the way, saying that there are no soul-mates is not the same as saying that people can't love and have someone who loves them back unconditionally. I have seen love, so I know it exists. But I don't believe that what I saw was a couple of soul-mates or two people joined by destiny. Love does exist, but not everyone can find it. Not everyone is looking for it either.

What about the people who are gay?
Or maybe the people who just don't want someone in their life.  

kairi_angel

Ophelianime

Chatty Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:01 pm
I believe that everyone has a soulmate but I also believe that not everyone finds theirs  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:54 pm
To quote the author of this topic, I do believe the idea of "soulmates" to be horseshit. To think that there is only one person out there in the whole world that would make one other person happy and feel love is, to me, ridiculous. LOVE IS LOVE. Love can happen, and it can be undone. Just because you don't love someone anymore, does that mean that your love was unreal or untrue? I just can't believe that there is only one person out there in the world that I would love and that would love me. THAT, in my opinion, is the really depressing idea.  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

Tarantellatears

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:13 pm
I believe in soulmates. I also believe that most everyone has one - just not everyone finds one. And then there are those people who are overjoyed to be single. What makes one? I don't know, it's hard to say. But being a Christian, I believe that God creates one for all of us, but that it's up to us, our decisions and choices, to find them.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:57 pm
I think, that "soulmates" is yet another word for having an extraordinary good partner. It still originates from times, where spiritual/esoteric/religious things were more important and to explain that stuff, it was said that those people were soul-linked.

There is nothing bad about it, but I think it's too romanticised!  

Verderbnis

Bani Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:09 am
Yes... and no.

I believe in soul mates.

But what if you never find your soul mate?

Do you believe in destiny?

"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces