Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
What is the "Real World"?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What makes reality real?
  Hurt/bleeding
  Love
  Senses
  Experience
  I truely do not know
View Results

Axen Axiel

4,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:56 pm
I have heard this before and have even said it myself many times yet it hits me. Why do people have to come back to the "Real World" and what is this "Real World" that we are talking about?

I may be a little weird talking about outlandish things, dreams, desires, ect. yet I know what the real world is. I know I cry, laugh, hurt and love yet to some people it seems to not be enough. I must come back to the "Real World" because I am so "sheltered" I have no idea what the real world is like.

Well if everyone is born different and have different experiences, other ways of looking at things, ect. then how can we as a collected group define any one thing of the entire masses? If our lives were like that of the Matrix then what is the "Real World"? How can we define it and then tell other's to join it if our own world is so different from eachothers?

What do you think?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:42 am

The 'Real World' is the social order into which we are forced. If we don't fit into that collective idea of useful, we're viewed as outcasts and those what need to be fixed.

People want you to think you're not going through life so they can feel superior to you, when really the rest of the world is laughing at their paper pushing, step on others, has to sign a form to even go to the bathroom, way of life.

Truth is, most that tell you to go back to the 'Real World' are just jealous of your creativity or intimidated by your ideas

CurseofDark

Salty Senshi

14,000 Points
  • Divorced 100
  • Party Animal 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:42 pm
There are a lot of quantum physics theories that say something like this: reality doesn't solidly exist without our interpretation; when we're not interpreting it (via the senses), reality is simply a conjunction of the possibilities of matter.

Even if there is a whole, unbiased, independent reality, none of us is ever completely aware of it because we view it through the limited scope of our senses and the biased filters of our minds. So whatever we interpret, we perceive as real and, in our minds, it is real.

In other words, perception is reality.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:23 pm
There is nothing like a human objective reality, since most of the things are ruled by the interpretation of men.

The physical reality is something more objective, a stone is most likely going to fall down to earth if you let it slip out of your hands. At least, that's what I have seen all the times.  

Verderbnis

PelicanBlack

Dapper Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:06 pm
I believe the "Real World" is what you feel and what you experience.. Not something you pretend or dream. How you make it is how it is.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:45 pm
social reject (although I don't think the name fits ^^) is correct in the fact that it is what you make of it... you can't have everyone thinking that the "real world" is something that everyone knows... if that were the case, then there would be no insane people, only insane ideas... Everyone's veiws are based upon solely experience and will... with different levels of those, eveyone thinks on different frequencies... like a radio... just one adjustment to pick up signals causes a whole new setting...  

ABSOLUTI0N

The_dayseeker

Doting Muse

12,490 Points
  • Temple Takeover 200
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:09 am
the real world is something in which everyone can see, touch , use their sense's on.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:53 pm
Were you to think about it, seeing as people 'sensed' the matrix, wouldn't that nullify your arguement?
I read an article regarding this same subject, and there is a mathematical probability that we live in a virtual reality.  

Mad Haru

Starstruck Rainbow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:54 pm
That is a really good question. I personally have a weird imagination, so this could get out of hand. The real world is what we imagine it. Everyone's real world is what they make it. Some people's real world is sadness and pain. Other's real world is a place where you have a chance to live. I personally don't have a real world. The world I'm in right now is the same one I must use to communicate with others. Dreams are also the real world for me. For me, the real world is anywhere I fit in. This is the real world. The little worlds I create for myself are the real world. Music is the real world for me. There is really no set "Real World" for everyone. There is always going to be one person who just veiws this as a fake. This would make more sense if you've seen the Matrix.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:56 pm
Nevermind, it really wouldn't. It's a good movie though.  

Starstruck Rainbow

the greatest wizard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:19 am
This "Real World" we know is only percieved with our eyes and cannot be percieved with our minds eye...this is another reality i may discuss later if need be...for now we need only know that what we see with our eyes can't always be trusted or believed.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games