Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Feminism Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Feminism is...
  a good thing.
  a bad thing.
View Results

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:08 pm
What are your views on feminism?

For example:
**How do you define feminism?
Do you think it still exists?
Do you think it's a good thing or a bad thing?
Are you a feminist?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:12 pm
I'm no way near competent enough to define it, but I view it as opinion that both sexes should have equal opportunities in all aspects of life.
Yes, of course it still exists. Feminism is an important philosophical and sociological orientation and has nothing to do with pop bands like "Spice Girls". It's a good thing, I believe, but I don't know enough about it to call myself a feminist.  

Symbolism of number One

DvnT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:34 pm
**How do you define feminism? : Isn't it when you work for the rights of women/females to make them legally "equal" to males.
Do you think it still exists? : Of course, you always here about people complaining about how so-and-so is treating women badly, unfairly, lesser, unimportant, ect ect.
Do you think it's a good thing or a bad thing? It really depends on how I look at it.
1: Good: We get to have jobs, and we are more equal, that's all fine and dandy.
2: Bad: Do we truly want to work this much? If we didn't know any other way, it wouldn't seem so bad, if we were taught that we weren't as smart, so we should take it easy and take care of the children.
Are you a feminist?: I explained my stand on it in the above, but I will not stand up for the rights of women in general unless it's effecting me personally.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:26 pm
dvn -camilla price-

2: Bad: Do we truly want to work this much? If we didn't know any other way, it wouldn't seem so bad, if we were taught that we weren't as smart, so we should take it easy and take care of the children.

Not to be rude, but could you please reword this part of your statement? I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at.  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

Shenyu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:29 pm
I think she wants to say that if nobody was of the opinion that women are smart, we would be angry if someone tells us, we are not. Because there it would be truth for us like "the sky is blue"
I think this does not work. We somehow found out we are smart in the past and we will do so in the future^^ I don't think men walked around and told us "you are smart" Women started to think so for theirselves.
Correct that if I am wrong.

I don't know where feminism starts and where it ends. I think everyone should have the same rights, but we cannot pretend it does not make a difference if you are male of female. We are raised different and I think it will never be the same because you are always influenced by the generation before.

I would not call me a feminist. Actually I think existence as a woman is kind of a punishment. Nevertheless I will not allow anyone to treat me bad. I like life and if that is the way I can experience it, I have to face that.
When I have guests and somebody says that it is my duty as a woman to fetch some drinks I tell them where the kitchen is and they can go alone. If you do not say a thing I will offer you everything. I am polite, but I am not a slave...

If feminism is good or bad. I think it is good in a balanced way. Everything can be bad if it is pushed to far. There are women who think men are worth less (some even think they are worthless), I think this is ridiculous.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:30 am
I think a lot of people are misinformed about feminism.

Feminism is based on the principle that women have a value as human beings equal to men, and therefore they have the same rights to control their lives and make their own choices, and not have the government, men, etc., obstruct them from leading what each woman deems a fulfilling life.

Of course men and women are different, and feminism recognizes this. However, what feminism says it that, even though they are different, women have the same value and humanity that men do, and thus they should not be second-class citizens.

Feminism is not about women being better than men, it is about men and women being equals in the eyes of government, business, etc. so that both genders can have the life that they want and ought to have.

So yes, I believe feminism still exists, though it has been skillfully demonized, obscured, and debased by mass media and the government. Yes, I believe it is a good thing, because, as a human being and a woman, how could I NOT think it is a good thing? Yes, I AM A FEMINIST.  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

a scawy ghost

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:14 pm
Again I wish there was an "Other" option for the poll.

I personally think that at it's roots feminism is really just about furthering women's rights and giving them the same chances for success as men. That idea is great in and of itself, but like George Carlin said, some feminists take it too far and want EVERYTHING to not be gender specific, and to me that's not only outrageous it's simply idiotic. (Just my thoughts)

I think feminism still exists, but it's begun to be twisted into something disgusting by certain groups of people. There ARE women out there who believe they can do everything better than men, why would they think that?

Because they're head strong imbeciles that only want to have sex and beat each other. But when I look at something like that I realize I've heard that argument a hundred or so times from teenage girls that were recently dumped, and so I can't help but think that women that believe what I typed above simply haven't grown up, and because of that in all honesty their views mean much less to me.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:18 pm
How do you define feminism?
A lot of people hate how I define it but I define feminism as a movement to put women in power and men into bondage like they did to women for so many centuries.
Of course it does. Both genders have that one person who strives for total superiority.
Bad thing just because we all have the same equal opportunities and no one should have an extreme advantage over another based on something they can't change like gender or race.
Are you a feminist?
Nope, equalitist. I prefer gender neutral terms because they can't be misinterpreted like feminism.

a scawy ghost
Again I wish there was an "Other" option for the poll.
I agree  

Vajapocalypse

No Name the Walrus

Newbie Werewolf

6,200 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:15 am
Darth Shiny says:

Feminism, as far as I know, started as women recognized they had the same value as human beings that men do. In that way, I believe in it. I believe women have the same value as men, and that each woman and man should be free to live the life he/she wants to live. It's always seemed to me that the more modern feminists think women should "rebel" against the past stereotypes of women being homemakers, and I don't agree with that. If a woman wants to be a homemaker, then let her! If she wants to be a businesswoman, then let her do that as well.

So I suppose in my head, feminism is about letting women decide for themselves what they want, and not telling them that what they may want is wrong.

I also agree with what a scary ghost said about women who believe they can do everything better than a man. That's not necessarily true, and I don't think admitting that is "unfeminine" of me, either. I can't do everything a man can, but nor can he do everything I can. Women and men are made to work together, not against each other, and to me, that's also part of feminism.

Click please?

Duct tape is like the Force.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:23 am
I believe in feminism in that it should be seen as equality to a man's rights and getting what we as women truly deserve, but I don't believe that we should be men-haters...  

Sweet Charu

Medic83

5,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:17 pm
I believe that a woman can do almost anything that a man can do. As for when i was in the army, i didn't see any reason why women shouldn't be able to have combat MOS.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:50 pm
Personally I don't really like feminism, because it just further points out the fact that in today's society, men and women still aren't viewed equally; if nobody pointed out a difference in the first place and we all just viewed each other as humans rather than separate each other by gender, we wouldn't need feminism at all.

....but the world isn't perfect, lol.  

my pet monster

Dapper Prophet

charbookwyrm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:54 am
destructive goddess
I think a lot of people are misinformed about feminism.

Feminism is based on the principle that women have a value as human beings equal to men, and therefore they have the same rights to control their lives and make their own choices, and not have the government, men, etc., obstruct them from leading what each woman deems a fulfilling life.

Of course men and women are different, and feminism recognizes this. However, what feminism says it that, even though they are different, women have the same value and humanity that men do, and thus they should not be second-class citizens.

Feminism is not about women being better than men, it is about men and women being equals in the eyes of government, business, etc. so that both genders can have the life that they want and ought to have.

So yes, I believe feminism still exists, though it has been skillfully demonized, obscured, and debased by mass media and the government. Yes, I believe it is a good thing, because, as a human being and a woman, how could I NOT think it is a good thing? Yes, I AM A FEMINIST.

Completely right!

Can I also add that it's not just about women being ableto do male things, but men being able to do female things. There's no reason why men shouldn't take on the 'female' role of being a homemaker ('househusband', for lack of a better word), or do traditionally female jobs.

There are some 'feminists' who take things to far, and claim that all men are bad, but I see that as being just as sexist and misguided as men who belive that women are less intelligent/weak/'naturally' child bearing machines/property. That isn't feminism, in my opinion. The view is also far less common than tabloid newspapers (and, worryingly, more 'respectable' news organs) would have you believe.
(Handy hint: if anything owned by Murdoch, right-wing, or generally regarded as rubbish by sensible people makes a comment on feminism, you can usually assume that the opposite is true).

You may have realised - I'm feminist, and very proud of it. Even if I do have to explain (very slowly) to some individuals that I'm not a lesbian, a manhater, and I haven't worn a pair of dungarees since I was five.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:49 pm
How do you define feminism?
Feminism is when ugly women try to raise their voice.

There are a lot of women trying to keep it up with all matters and fail.

It's a double edged blade; there is either feminism or a healthy portion of emancipation. I have nothing against emancipated women, but I have something against women trying to blame the men for all evil in the world and what not. I don't feel like cutting off my d**k just because I was born with it. I mean I could also blame the females for the crappy TV program which is mainly cut to their frame. Personally I think the times of hunters and gatherers are over, I would not have a problem to take care for the children, while she earns the money.

Are you a feminist?
No... ...more of an equalist...  

Verderbnis

Skrapz

7,950 Points
  • Pie Scarface 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:03 am
The concept of feminism is good. But some things are better in theory than in practice. Over the years, feminism has evolved from defense and pride to bragging and sexism towards men. That's my view at least.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff