Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Emotional Intelligence vs IQ Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

EQ or IQ: which is more important?
  Emotional intelligence (EQ)
  Cognitive intelligence (IQ)
View Results

falling_to_fly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:20 am
So you guys are smart. What does that mean? Are you emotionally intelligent or cognitively intelligent - which is more important?
Would you rather have EQ or IQ, and what sort of intelligence to you prefer in other people? Do you have to have one to have the other?
Yes, I am questioning intelligence. One of the great philosophy files man has ever seen! So discuss... What is intelligence and EQ versus IQ and does it matter?
I think that although IQ is very important, EQ helps you with social skills but also with your career - people with good social skills know how to get the most out of the workplace and their colleagues. I think that to be successful in life or to be in any leadership role, or any job of responsibility and interaction, it is absolutely necessary to be in tune with the emotions of others and yourself. So overall, I vote EQ over IQ. Absolutely.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:48 pm
I'm a psychology student, and I'm currently finishing my second year. A similar question was posed in one of our classes by one of the other students.
Anyway, emotional intelligence is not a valid psychological construct. Scientific analysis did not show that it was an independent variable, one that cannot be broken down to more simple components. The concept of EQ may have become popular over the last few years, but it isn't really accepted in the academic circles.

However, if you ask whether pure intelligence is more important than social skills, I agree with you that it isn't. Autistic people can be extremely intelligent, and yet they live miserable lives.
I see emotions as the goal, and the intelligence as the tool to reach that goal.
Intelligence basically is a tool. You use it to achieve something. Happiness. Positive emotions. By obtaining what you want... love, money, whatever. For me, the tool can never have the priority over the goal.  

Symbolism of number One

Silvie Verisimilitude

Gracious Hunter

6,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:18 pm
If I had to choose out of the two, I would say EQ, but seeing as you can't do without either...it seems kinda pointless to choose. I wouldn't like to imagine anyone who was almost entirely emotional or intelligent anyway. Either end of that spectrum would be waste of life.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:20 am
It's not exactly true to say that you can't have one without the other - that's why there are autistics around, like the person above you said. Having said that, most people are born with a reasonable amount of each. What's interesting is that your IQ becomes fixed when you're about 14 or so, and from then on it doesn't grow. (You can teach yourself to perform better on IQ tests, but apparently you can't increase your IQ) but your EQ or social skills grow and increase for every moment you live.
I think you can be really successful if you have social skills (EQ) and not that much IQ but the other way around just doesn't work. You could not have a good education but have amazing social skills that get you through interviews and up there being a leader or something amazing, but if you are really smart but just can't talk to people or manage your own emotions, your talents are more likely to go to waste.  

falling_to_fly

Verderbnis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:59 am
I have a high IQ about 127...

I don't know my EQ but it must be pretty high too, since I get along with a lot of people...

My work avoiding quotient is about 94 points of hundred and my workpoints only range around 24 pts...

IQ, EQ and however those scales are called do not really matter. Someday I simply stopped taking those things as a scale and simply left my head open for other stuff. It simply doesn't matter, because nobody in your life would ever come to you like "Oh you must have a high amount of this and that you seem to be interesting."  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:15 pm
When you say that your IQ doesn't grow... it all really depends on how you define it.
Among psychologists, there IS NOT a single definition of intelligence that is accepted.
For example, Raymond B. Cattell introduced a difference between fluid and crystallized intelligence. He defined fluid intelligence as the factor that influences the speed of your data processing, and the visual and spacial aspects of intelligence. He defined crystallized intelligence as the factor that influences your verbal fluency, your general knowledge and similar aspects of intelligence.
According to his researches, fluid intelligence rises until you're approximately 20, and then drops. Crystallized, on the other hand, can rise indefinitely.

Then again, this was his theory, which gained quite a following, but wasn't universally accepted. Once again, there isn't one universally accepted theory of intelligence. So, when you say that it stops growing when you're 14, you should specify who said that and which theory was behind. In the end, it all depends on the definition of intelligence. And definitions are just words. Not real entities in our heads.  

Symbolism of number One

falling_to_fly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:51 pm
That's true...
I got that info from a book called 'are you smarter than you think?' but I can't remember the author. I think you are right though, it does come down to defenition. Everyone interprets intelligence in different ways and intelligence can show itself in many ways - a non academic person could be good at sports, and that is still intelligence. (co ordination etcetera) It has been widely debated about the defenition of intelligence, that's true. I think that you can't exactly pinpoint intelligence to one thing - we have been trying to understand how our brains work for ages and have come up with no answers. I think that to put it in a wide sense (this is by no means accurate) intelligence is how we respond to different situations. That's just what I think but it is a gross generalization and I don't think that that is all. I am doing a philosophy reflective thinking paper on this at the moment and I' ve spent many a night thinking about this. I suppose my topic of EQ vs IQ can be interpreted in many ways, and in the end it just comes down to the question of 'What is intelligence?' and that gets you stuck. So it should be 'In what ways does intelligence show itself?' or something.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:12 pm
B09876
It's not exactly true to say that you can't have one without the other - that's why there are autistics around, like the person above you said. Having said that, most people are born with a reasonable amount of each. What's interesting is that your IQ becomes fixed when you're about 14 or so, and from then on it doesn't grow. (You can teach yourself to perform better on IQ tests, but apparently you can't increase your IQ) but your EQ or social skills grow and increase for every moment you live.
I think you can be really successful if you have social skills (EQ) and not that much IQ but the other way around just doesn't work. You could not have a good education but have amazing social skills that get you through interviews and up there being a leader or something amazing, but if you are really smart but just can't talk to people or manage your own emotions, your talents are more likely to go to waste.

Actually, they used to think that, but mainstream understanding from the past 10 years or so show that that is completely wrong. Though the development of the brain does slow down considerably as one leaves childhood, according to a proven principal called nueroplasticity (which is apparently not accepted yet by my computer's dictionary) it never really stops developing at all.
Take for example a person who has had a limb amputated. For the next few days after the surgery they will still believe that they feel sensations in the missing limb and even forget it is missing (much to the shock of whatever candystriper is caring for them). This is because while the limb is gone the brain map for it is not, and if neurons randomly fire in that part of the brain the person will feel sensation in a part of their body that no longer exists. However, within just a few days the patient stops having these experiences. This is because The brain map for this limb is not only becoming inactive, but being altogether eradicated as the rest of the brain realizes it is useless and fills in the space with something more helpful. Our brains are literally rewiring themselves by the second. Each tiny passing thought changes the way our brains work, because all reinforced connections get stronger while all unused ones get weaker and even disappear completely.
I am currently using this principal to teach myself to write with my left hand and get a better visual memory (because frankly, my current one sucks, though I can learn a song by hearing it three times... ) and so far it has been working pretty well. The concept has also been used to train mentally disabled people of all ages to function at normal or above normal levels.

Whoa, epic. My longest post ever on gaia.  

Sakusha-sama

Symbolism of number One

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:12 pm
Good luck with that paper. 3nodding (I hate report papers, and I'm in a college that demands at least one each month.)  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:21 pm
I think EQ and IQ are both equally important, although IQ is noticed more often than not, and vise versa for EQ. If you want to say that your IQ never goes up, then my IQ was over 120 when I was born, which doesn't make sense. And then 2 end with my my usual crap.

I heart BEING RANDOM!(note sig)  

Breaking Dawn 4 Life

Arachnakid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:48 pm
It is possible to have high IQ but low EQ and still be successful/happy. It just takes a different type of lifestyle, one "average" people are not really familiar with. Many programmers, artists, writers, architects and similarly creative-intelligent people are autistic, ADD, or just plain socially clumsy. I personally am of this type, and while I have very few friends and don't get along well with most people, I also am an introvert and happier working on solo projects anyway. Many people see that as unhealthy, but people of this type become stressed and bored in a "healthy" environment.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:36 pm
well, in relevance, the IQ is used for things like, "Hey, know that?"... EQ would be more towards "Hey, Know what that's like?"... EQ is based upon the experiences you take compared to the genes you share and how they resolve it... IQ on the other hand has almost nothing to do with genetics or experience with the exception of "who can learn it faster"...

in my opinion, EQ is most important, as that is what the personality is derived from... it is who you are, and how you see things, which is different for everyone... That is what makes you human... IQ puts you a brain point above the rest, but EQ is the reason why... how could you get a high IQ if you never had the interest...  

ABSOLUTI0N

Cevadeva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:19 pm
If I had to pick of the two, I would say EQ. With EQ you can work better with people. You can always build on your IQ, not really the same with EQ. But that's what I think.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:47 pm
Why not a balance of the two. I want to become a physician, so I'd love to have great patient relations as well as the intelligence necessary to diagnose and treat my patients. It doesn't have to be one or the other in someone's life.  

Aaditya

SovereignTyphoon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:48 pm
I don't know what you are all on about Eq and Iq scales. I know a few things like 1. I think Psychology, as a whole, those who study it, its books, professors, and professions are a load of bullcrap. I think its worthless to try and/or proclaim to know something like that. Sure you may be good at reading the average person who might believe crap like that, but there are too many variables for it to seem possible to me.

#2 I believe whole-heartedly that I, meaning me, would rather be Intelligent then good with social or emotional skills. No matter how miserable I was, I would rather be smart than dumb and be happy.

"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff