Reply "ALI" Advice for Life Issues
Been Caught Stealing... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kouyu Nakamura

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:21 pm
Okay, so I realize that I'm rather new here and that basically none of you know me, but I've got a serious problem on my hands and I don't know what to do about it.

So my little sister lately has been stealing. And it's not shoplifting, it's stealing money from Mom. If there's money laying around, even if it's RIGHT NEXT to my Mom's purse or something like that, she takes it. And when we ask her about it, she doesn't know about it. Then we tell her to find it and miraculously it's made it's way upstairs where she "finds" it.

This has been going on for a few months now. And today she really messed up. My mom sent me to do some shopping for things we need since she's sick, and she gave me her wallet and debit card and everything. When I got done shopping, I put ALL the leftover money in her wallet. My friend who was there with me will vouch for that.

So mom asked me today how much was left, and I told her. Then she asked my little sister to get her purse out of the car, and when she looked in her wallet there was $40 missing. It was in my sister's pocket, who claims it was on the seat of the car and she didn't want it to blow away.

And it's not just money. Last year, before I graduated from high school, I would leave for school before she would. Id on't know how many times I came home and found she'd gone into my room and taken jewelry to wear to school.

I don't know what to do, and my Mom is at her wits end as well. I don't want to see my sister go to juvey, but is that really what it's going to take? Please, any ideas would be more then welcome.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:34 pm
I don't really know what to say... Could she be a little like a cleptomaniac? I mean can she keep her self from doing it? Or is there something she really wants and needs money for it?  

Phantasmagoric_001

Dapper Dabbler

Kouyu Nakamura

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:47 pm
I don't know. She claims that she won't be able to get money any other way, but she doesn't even try asking for money. I mean, I ask for moeny and Mom has no problem giving me some, so I don't see why she doesn't just ask.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:43 pm
How old is your sister?
I think that you need to have your mother and yourself talk to her, let her know its wrong. And, like Phantasmagoric_001 said, she may feel the need to steal because of something. It may be something you don't even know about, or maybe she just doesn't know how wrong it is. Maybe shes just a little bit greedy as well. And of course, since she makes up exuses, you need to get it out of her. If it was downstairs and gets upstairs to her room, ask her how it got there. And if you ever see her do it, tell her.
"It makes Mom and I angry / sad / upset when you steal money. And I get upset / angry when you take my jewelry to school. You need to ask for my permission."

If it persists even after all that, I'm sorry, but all I can say is get help.

minus infinity

Fluffy Fatcat

Dylanthevyllan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:27 am
Perhaps you should have your mother catch her in the act, find a way to point out where her explaination(lie) is wrong. She'll feel terrible, but maybe the shock of being caught will show her that it isn't worth stealing.
If she keeps getting away with stealing, she's going to think she can steal for the rest of her life. She won't even think about getting a job. Stop her soon, if you can.
Other than that, I suggest you keep your valuables and money safe where she won't find them. If she has nothing to steal, she can't steal!  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:37 pm
The entire situation depends on how old she is. My little cousin, Kristin did the same thing to me a few years back when she was eight. She would steal jewelry, spare change lying around, amongst other random things. Eventually, however, she just stopped. She must've gotten tired of it somehow because she just abruptly halted. No motivation or anything. I'm just guessing, but I think she just outgrew it. If your sister is young like that, then just hide your valuables until she is older and more trustworthy...I have to admit, though...I'm not quite sure what to do if she's older...I'm sorry!  

Kiradalia

Kouyu Nakamura

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:54 pm
My sister is 12, and that's what bothers me. She's old enough to know better.

Thank you all for your advice. I'll try them out, and hopefully something will work. I just don't want to see her get into serious trouble. I mean yes she irritates me, but she is my sister and I love her dearly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:59 pm
Sounds like ur sister has a problem. Ur mom should take her to counsling or therapy. Or better yet ur mom should make her earn the money she steals back.  

BlackDragon495

roses_diamonds

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:01 pm
Dr. Diamonds here to help!

Okay well I caught the fact thatit was in the last few months. It might be a possiblity that she has been watching the news and been learning about the economic crisis in school. She could be feeling like she won't have enough money when the time comes for her to pay taxes. Or buy stuff. Maybe she wants to savethe money instead of you guys speading in on what she thinks might be junk. She might be thinking 'hey if I save this money little by little, eventually I will have enough money to help my family have food on the table'. Just a possibility.

Second possibility, maybe she doesn't know better. I know that you have probably heard that before, but she might seriously not know. Other persons responces are correct. You do in fact need to get her help. There are people who could help you for a low price if money is an issue.

Lastly, you need to have a talk with her. Not only about her just asking for money instead of stealing it. But also that if this is REALLY the problem. Usually when children have something going wrong with their lives they do something rash for example stealing. Asking her what is going on. Try to relate to her, and not look at her as a stealer.

Good luck,
Dr. D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:37 pm
u could try some kind of hidden camera though i don't know how much that would cost  

G0d_0f_R0ck

5,700 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

CottonCandy32650

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:30 pm
Tell your mom to talk to her. Of that doesn't work take her to counseling. It usually helps a lot. Good luck!  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:56 pm
your sister is in denial, and she needs a rude awakening. if she continues to make excuses, counseling would be a good option.  

le_pwner

flavored pencils

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:52 pm
sounds like your sister really needs some help.
stealing is not okay, if you don't stop her now, she'll keep going and eventually become something that you don't want her to be when she grows up. so you have to act fast, and prevent that from happening NOW!
i think you should just talk to her about it nicely, try to get some sense into her or something like that, cause often times, convincing helps alot!
you should also discuss this with her teachers in school and your mom, try to come up with some good plans.
you can also steal some of her stuff just to show her how it feels to have something stolen, so that she knows what it feels like, and never do it again.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:05 pm
possible clepto? or maybe it just gives her a rush like me  

killerclownmeat

6,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200

Iham l sammich

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:42 pm
I say, smack her in the back of the head. Not so hard it will send her flying, but enough for her to tear up and wanna cry. Then tell her "That's what'll happen when I see money missing."  
"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff