Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "FLDBAO" ~For the Love of Desu~ Books, Anime, and Others!
I Despise English Dubs! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do You Hate English Dubs?
  YES!!! who dosent?
  no... I love them with all my heart!
View Results

Zig Zag Zebra

Greedy Gekko

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:01 pm
sirously... I hat hate hate hate it all! it is unfair how they screw up everything! please list what you hate about english dubs so I can prove my point!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:41 am
I hate English dubs for many many reasons.
I'll list a few:

1. They almost always pick the most annoying voices for the English voice-overs. stare

2. In Naruto, the part where Tsunade just becomes the 5th Hokage and is heading to the stairs and Konohamaru is running up the stairs to see who the new Hokage is, they meet in the doorway and his face collides with her massive cleavage, making him roll his head back and forth saying "So soft!". They cut that whole bit out in the Dub. scream Not to mention many other awesome parts in the series that have been deemed 'Not Safe for kids'.

3. I heard they plainly didn't air an entire episode of Outlaw Star just because there was no way they could edit it without disrupting the storyline. stare

Ethrawl

Nanatsuiro-Rainbow

4,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:14 pm
iPistl
I'll list a few:

1. They almost always pick the most annoying voices for the English voice-overs. stare

I KNOW !!!!!!!  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:52 pm
Nanatsuiro-Rainbow
iPistl
I'll list a few:

I KNOW !!!!!!!

The Naruto voice over for CN makes me want to stick the sharp end of a pencil in my ears. gonk

Ethrawl

Homozaki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:07 pm
English dubs aren't always bad but they can be pretty terrible. I remember watching an anime movie called Origins: Spirits of the Past and it was unbearable to listen to. The girl's voice was grating and yet it seemed dead at the same time. Luckily they had the Japanese version so I could actually finish the movie. In Naruto, I was surprised to find that Sakura was waaaay more useless in the anime than in the manga and her voice made me want to cut my ears off! When anime shows on air in America, they edit out any part that's not suitable for kids as iPistil said and they don't even do it well. During the Uchiha massacre, they just took out all the blood. There's one scene where blood slowly drips down a black screen but in the American dub it's just black for like two minutes.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:11 am
iPistl
3. I heard they plainly didn't air an entire episode of Outlaw Star just because there was no way they could edit it without disrupting the storyline. stare

That's not a dubbing problem. That's an airing problem.

The episode in question (episode 23 ; the hot springs planet episode) is dubbed just like the rest of the series is. It's in the DVD release. It wasn't aired because there's no way they could edit out the undesirables. In previous episodes, characters generally had black "underpants" put on them during naked scenes.

I think the dubbing for a lot of shows is fine. In general, it's been my observation that, on a series-by-series basis, whichever you watch first (dub or sub) you tend to prefer. (I've seen exceptions.) But there's so many people that mindlessly hate dubbing that they make stupid cheep shots like this.  

Nadian
Crew

Ethrawl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:41 am
Nadian
iPistl

That's not a dubbing problem. That's an airing problem.

The episode in question (episode 23 ; the hot springs planet episode) is dubbed just like the rest of the series is. It's in the DVD release. It wasn't aired because there's no way they could edit out the undesirables. In previous episodes, characters generally had black "underpants" put on them during naked scenes.

I think the dubbing for a lot of shows is fine. In general, it's been my observation that, on a series-by-series basis, whichever you watch first (dub or sub) you tend to prefer. (I've seen exceptions.) But there's so many people that mindlessly hate dubbing that they make stupid cheep shots like this.

Yea, I suppose that's true. I guess I wasn't thinking what I was typing as I was typing and letting feelings on the topic get in the way. I believe I was quite tired when I made that post too, so that most likely had some effect on the post. sweatdrop
I'm sorry if I offended you Nadian with that part of the post. sweatdrop

Also, I think I let my habit for getting off-topic get in the way too. sweatdrop Which lead started in #2 and ended in #3. sweatdrop

I found some of the Dubs somewhat enjoyable as well. Like.. FMA for example, and FLCL, I liked the dubs for those two. 3nodding

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:24 pm
Don't like them at all, the characters sound really weird in a lot of dubs (not to mention sometimes sound annoying!)  

RiziN-ergeez

Zig Zag Zebra

Greedy Gekko

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:16 pm
I admit some dubs are okay... but the majority of dubs suck a**! Examples: Naruto, Higurashi, Furuba, Mew Mew Power (formally tokyo mew mew), One Piece (but it sucked anyways), Yugi-Oh (and following series that suck even more), Gravitation, Sailor Moon, Dragonball (think about the title), Shaman King, Pokemon, Megaman, Sonic, Elfen Lied, The Melancholy of Haruhi Syuzimya(sp?), and over 1.67 trillion others... jk... but I do hate dubs... the only good ones are Lucky Star, FMA, Ouran High School Host Club, Death Note, and Code Geass...

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:13 am
XoX_Romantic_Roleplay_XoX
I admit some dubs are okay... but the majority of dubs suck a**! Examples: Naruto, Higurashi, Furuba, Mew Mew Power (formally tokyo mew mew), One Piece (but it sucked anyways), Yugi-Oh (and following series that suck even more), Gravitation, Sailor Moon, Dragonball (think about the title), Shaman King, Pokemon, Megaman, Sonic, Elfen Lied, The Melancholy of Haruhi Syuzimya(sp?), and over 1.67 trillion others... jk... but I do hate dubs... the only good ones are Lucky Star, FMA, Ouran High School Host Club, Death Note, and Code Geass...

FLCL's Dubs are quite enjoyable as well. I was rather surprised on that. My friend introduced it to me and I was rather impressed with the dubs. o:

Ethrawl

KaguraOfTheWind

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:16 pm
A lot of complaints about "bad dubs" are actually about edits. This is why there are uncut DVDs released.

Bad dubbing usually follows a trend, the dubbing of a show will have it's dub quality be proportional to the target age group. Young audiences usually get a bad dub while older ones get better dubs. This makes sense as kids won't care as much and the fact that it's harder for an adult to do a kid's voice.

The japanese, especially women, tend to have higher voices so they can do kids much easier.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:40 am
I'll adit, while some dubs are good, they have messed a lot of them up, and it's not just anime. When they bring over games to america, the dubbing of a lot of them just completely sucks. The voices rarely fit the person, and you hear the same voices all the time.  

Dark Enigma 0

Friendly Hunter

KaguraOfTheWind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:52 am
That's because there are a limited number of voice actors in North America and many of them don't have much variation to their voices.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:42 pm
what about haruhi suzumiya no yuutsu? they took out nearly every moe scene crying

beylese

Spicy Egg

Mad Haru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:07 pm
beylese
what about haruhi suzumiya no yuutsu? they took out nearly every moe scene crying

That's a problem with edits, not dubs.
Also, I have to say that I really don't mind dubs, except for a select few, Negima being chief among those.
A dub that I find to be pretty good is Martian Successor Nadesico, just because of how amazing Akito's voice is.
On topic, I think that maybe you're being a little one-sided on this whole thing.
Sturgeon's Law applies here.
95% of everything is crap, and I think the reason you haven't quite been able to see that with Japanese dubs/VAs is because you haven't quite become accustomed to Japanese voices.  
"FLDBAO" ~For the Love of Desu~ Books, Anime, and Others!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games