Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
The Best Question Ever Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Will you answer?
  yes
  No
View Results

Juliette Trueblood

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:46 pm
Ok so many have tried to answer this...and there are a lot of great answers.
It's like an eternal question that really has no one answer.
It's my favorite discussion topic lol.

If a tree falls and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:59 pm
That has an answer and the answer is yes.

That's the same thing as say you are recording yourself speaking to your friend.
Your friend didn't hear a part of what you said.
You know you did say something and to make sure you replay the video.
The video plays back whatever you said.
Your friend didn't hear you say it, but you did make the noise.

Michael Menace

sedo_mare

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:14 pm
"...sound is: "the sensation produced by stimulation of the organs of hearing by vibrations transmitted through the air or other medium."

So technically, if the energy vibrations that would cause sound never reach the 'organs of hearing', then no- it does not make a sound.

It's kind of like the 'Schroeders Cat' experiment...you never know unless you observe it, but to observe it would change the outcome..."

~this is a quote by a person called Autumn on yahoo answers who put it as clearly as it can be put  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:19 am
Sound is just the vibration of air molecules. This vibration is caused by any movement. Even the slightest movement will make a small sound, as the movement will cause the air molecules to bump into each other and make areas of high and low pressure, aka sound. A falling tree is most definitely going to make sound as it falls and when it hits the ground as the molecules will be moving and vibrating.

So, in a nutshell, yes, the tree does make a sound when it falls and lands.  

Drunken_Ninja08

Deppfan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:10 pm
It makes the necessary sound waves, but sense there is no auditory organ to pick them up and interperet them, they are not considered "sound."  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:33 pm
Sound: The vibration of air molecules that create a high/low pressure system, or 'waves'. These waves are known as sound. Regardless of whether someone is there to hear it or not. Trust me, we went over this in physics this year in school. I could tell you all about it.  

Drunken_Ninja08

Cevadeva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:09 pm
Yes, it makes a sound. Even if there is no one there to witness or hear it, it still happens.

Really, it's like saying, If you're in a dark room and there is no one to hear you're screams for help, are you still screaming?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:14 pm
Drunken_Ninja08
Sound: The vibration of air molecules that create a high/low pressure system, or 'waves'. These waves are known as sound. Regardless of whether someone is there to hear it or not. Trust me, we went over this in physics this year in school. I could tell you all about it.

Well, we've gone over this several times in school, and every time, the teacher gave the same answer I gave.  

Deppfan

Drunken_Ninja08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:51 am
Deppfan Teague
Drunken_Ninja08

Well, we've gone over this several times in school, and every time, the teacher gave the same answer I gave.

Well, no offense but...that seems relatively idiotic. But, I will play off of what your teacher apparently taught you.

So, it requires a sensory organ to be considered "sound"? Well, animals and bugs have said sensory organs. A falling tree's sound waves are going to travel pretty far, so animals and bugs will hear it. Thus, making it sound.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:48 pm
sedo_mare
"...sound is: "the sensation produced by stimulation of the organs of hearing by vibrations transmitted through the air or other medium."

So technically, if the energy vibrations that would cause sound never reach the 'organs of hearing', then no- it does not make a sound.

It's kind of like the 'Schroeders Cat' experiment...you never know unless you observe it, but to observe it would change the outcome..."

~this is a quote by a person called Autumn on yahoo answers who put it as clearly as it can be put

but then u'd be living under the assumption that there are no living organisms in the forest ecosystem, which seems highly implausible  

Lil persicon

Saelesta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:29 pm
Depends on your definition of a sound.

It produces sound waves as it crashes to the ground. Surrounding animals will hear it; however, if a person doesn't does that mean that it does make a sound? If we define sound as something a person hears, well then aren't we conceited?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:59 pm
Drunken_Ninja08
Deppfan Teague
Drunken_Ninja08

Well, no offense but...that seems relatively idiotic. But, I will play off of what your teacher apparently taught you.

So, it requires a sensory organ to be considered "sound"? Well, animals and bugs have said sensory organs. A falling tree's sound waves are going to travel pretty far, so animals and bugs will hear it. Thus, making it sound.

Er... not to be a smart a** about it or anything..
But in the original question, wasn't there the factor of "no one" being around to hear it? .___.; [This includes, mamals, insects, blah blah, whaever living organism that has sensory organs that feel/ hear/ movements and sounds.]

Though in my opinion, it still makes a sound. Hertz and vibrations in the air, along with the explanation of molecules in the air..
Sound is sound.
Period, whether you hear it or not.
That's the whole frustrating part about physics though..
Sometimes it seems like it's defying logic. x__x;  

White Siren Queen

Drunken_Ninja08

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:25 pm
White Siren Queen
Drunken_Ninja08
Deppfan Teague
Drunken_Ninja08

Er... not to be a smart a** about it or anything..
But in the original question, wasn't there the factor of "no one" being around to hear it? .___.; [This includes, mamals, insects, blah blah, whaever living organism that has sensory organs that feel/ hear/ movements and sounds.]

Though in my opinion, it still makes a sound. Hertz and vibrations in the air, along with the explanation of molecules in the air..
Sound is sound.
Period, whether you hear it or not.
That's the whole frustrating part about physics though..
Sometimes it seems like it's defying logic. x__x;

This is why I really don't like basing what I said off of "reception of sound waves". By saying that "no one" is around is assuming that there is nothing in the ecosystem around to support animal and bacterial life. If the ecosystem couldn't support animal or bacterial life, then it is extremely doubtful that there would be any trees around to begin with.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:50 pm
of COURSE it makes a sound. what kinda question is that?? stressed (one that my dad never lets me forget about) just because no one hears it doesn't mean that it didn't make a sound unless it was a very tiny tree that someohw can avoid the sound of friction as it falls. what ev, but that's my answer. talk2hand  

Vincent Ezra

ninja-boi92

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:04 pm
it all depends on your definition of 'sound.'

by popular definition, yes. it does make a sound. a sound is a group of vibrations, send in wave-like patterns from the source. regardless of who's there, it makes a sound.

another definition is that sound is the percieving and deciphering of these vibrations by the central nervous system. i.e. it is the information our brain recieves when the vibrations stimulate the nerves in our ears. by this, no. it does not make a sound. it produces vibrations, but because noone is there to hear it, it will never be deciphered by a brain, and thus, will not be a sound.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff