fun
  confusing
  annoying
  just here for the money
View Results

falling_to_fly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:19 pm
Okay, here's the dilemma.
You and your friend are stuck on a desert island with a whole load of treasure. There's only enough food for one of you to survive until rescue comes. Your friend says "I'll let you have the food if you promise me to give my half of the treasure to my sister."
You agree, your friend dies, and you get rescued with this heap of treasure. You go to see your friend's sister and find she is a druggie, and would probably spend the money on cocktails and meth. Do you give the money to the sister to be wasted, or do you give it to a charity?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:33 pm
hmmmmm....... i guess i'd give it to the sister. i kept my end of the deal, and the friend should know what the sister is going to do. i'd probably have a hard time even giving her the money anyway. i'd want to keep it for myself honestly  

SchizoSpazz

Space Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200

Dr Sciurus

Dapper Lunatic

14,375 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:02 pm
hm...tough call.. i suppose i wouldnt give her the money right away. if my freind was dead then it would be up to me to care for her in his place right? i would atleast try to do that anyway. even if she hated me i would be with her trying to help her survive and try to get her off the drugs. the money would be hers to use but i wouldnt let it be for drugs and when she would be well she could have all of it. Hell going back to the island i wouldnt even let my freind do that. he would get teh food to survive and i would try to explore the land for something else edible or to escape.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:09 am
I would have to agree with lykono.  

Mr Not Perfect

last angel served

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:20 pm
I would give her a chance to rehabilitate and spend it on that and help watch the money after she's out to monitor is she's using it for drugs or not, I think that the friend would appreciate that scene she gets it and gets help at the same time. Still kept the promise and helped someone too.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:54 pm
Do I get to chose how she spends it? If so, I'd be sure it was spent on rehabilitation.  

Jill2282

ZealTheDemon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:31 am
I would respect my friends wishes and give the money to his sister. I would view it as if I didnt abide by his last request then that is almost the same as going and pissing on the grave. It doesnt matter that she is a drug addict he died for this and I will respect his wishes. Now that being said I wouldnt go without talking to her about it. She will know full well that her brother died and gave her this money at the cost of his life. Maybe pull a bit of life is short talk and end it with something along the lines of "You want to spend this on drugs fine but know that this is your brothers money that he left you. I think he would want to see you clean and happy then wrecking your life with drugs." and then leave and see where it goes from there.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:11 pm
I can't keep it? Hell, I had to survive on this stupid island.  

Deppfan

Master Azrael Reaper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:03 am
id go ahead and give the half money and be done with it.

look pretty much everyone in this world is f$@ked up in some way or other, not all ways illegal.

and anyway, you gotta look at what kind of druggie. I mean if it is just marijuanna, then there is really no problem anyway. that stuff is better for you than cigarettes. Its only illegal because of the major hold that big businesses hold on the government, particularly the cigarette companies.
Marijuanna can be easily home grown, thus screwing up cigarette sales.

As to any other drugs, not really my problem. If i can see they are a druggie, then the friend definatly should have known.

And anyway, i got better stuff to deal with, like how to spend my half.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:05 pm
Uh... let's not get into the whole 'scientific proof that Marijuana can cause serious psychological problems' debate...

I'd make sure that during my next reincarnation I choose a friend whose sister isn't a druggie.  

SpokenSoftly

Ruthless Elder

8,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Bidding War 100

Lokhen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:37 am
falling_to_fly
Okay, here's the dilemma.
You and your friend are stuck on a desert island with a whole load of treasure. There's only enough food for one of you to survive until rescue comes. Your friend says "I'll let you have the food if you promise me to give my half of the treasure to my sister."
You agree, your friend dies, and you get rescued with this heap of treasure. You go to see your friend's sister and find she is a druggie, and would probably spend the money on cocktails and meth. Do you give the money to the sister to be wasted, or do you give it to a charity?

I will stay true to my word. She might be a druggie but if I could explain things to her about the sacrifice her sibling have gone, with advices and all the persuasion about the importance and responsibility with such amount of wealth and also with the health of both her body an soul. I think she might understand.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:18 pm
That would be tough, because it would be hard not because I would think the money is wasted, but I wouldn't want to be hurting that person by giving them money to hurt themselves more with harmful drugs. I think I would almost go farther into the issue her sister is having. I would still give the money to her sister, because there would have been a reason that my friend made me promise to give her the money. My friend could have wanted me to become aware of what was going on in her sister's life. I would trust my friend and respect her wishes, and would give the money to her sister. Maybe it is bigger than just giving money to her, maybe the friend thought that I could learn someting from her sister of maybe she wanted help for her sister if her sister was becoming unhealthy from the harsh drugs going into her system. Maybe the true promise was to become aware, and to give the money and not walk away from the situation.  

GC rox 4 eva

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:45 pm
First off - I don't which friend you're talking about, because none of my friends have druggie sisters. xd

Second of all... what does the treasure consist of? As Captain Jack Sparrow on Pirates of the Caribbean says - "Not all treasure is silver and gold."

*shrugs* In the end, I'm not really sure. There's a lot to consider in this situation.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:21 pm
I'm guessing this treasure is money-related in the means that it can be sold off for a nice sum of money.

I would first explain the situation to the sister, though I would bend the truth a bit. I would tell her that her brother wanted her to have the half of the treasure should he not survive, but only if she cleaned up her act, got help and lived at least one year drug-free. Give her a reason to work for it. If she refuses to get help or tries to be slick about it, I'd donate the other half to the ASPCA.

To quote V, "To do a great right, sometimes you need to do a little wrong."  

King Robert Silvermyst

Protego Maxima

5,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:52 pm
Well, I wouldn't do anything for some few days first. I'd probably try and observe what kind of person my dead friend's sister is. I'll make certain to make sure of her character -- whether she has any hope of recovering or not from her addiction. This could be a phase, after all. Then I'll try to make sure what she does in her spare time. Does she really spend her money on just parties and drugs? Or does she actually have some sense left in her and she's actually trying to live her life?

If I see her as irresponsible and unable to help herself, I'll give some portion of her half to charity. While this would make me seem like a dishonest person, I'd just say that the money was better off to some charity where it would be put to a much better use.

But that's not where I'd end it. As you could see from above, I only gave a portion of her half off to charity. The other portions I try to give to her in a sort-of monthly stipend. That way, she could use all the money she wants on drugs, but not spend it all at once. Most of all, a portion of it would actually go to charity.

---------------------------------
I am of House Greyjoy.
We Do Not Sow.
ქἆῆᾇ ἿЛїՖ𐑿

"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items