Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Is Christianity logical? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Truith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:48 am
I believe Christianity is completely logical. Prove me wrong!  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:54 am
First I would like 2 lay down the rules.
1. You can fight for either side, meaning that you can argue either for or against Christianity.
2. please be open minded, don't dis someone just because you don't like what they say.
3. Only logical arguments will be accepted any claims without some kind of proof will be ignored.
4. Be kind and courteous.  

Truith

Marissa on My Mind

Married Sex Symbol

9,150 Points
  • Married 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:57 am
User Image

~~*~~

Before anyone tells you why Christianity is logical or illogical, why don't you provide us with some reasons why you think it's logical?User Image

~~*~~

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:09 am
too be honest i'm not very good at starting things off. I'm more used to having someone else start. . . well lets see. I guess I can start with the radical change that Paul ( before known as Saul) went through. Before his change of heart he was a zelot against christians. Capturing them and sentencing them to death. But within just a few short days he became a man who suffered through horrible ordeals in the name of Christ whom he had persecuted. The only logical explenation in my eyes is exatly what the Bible tells us, that Jesus appeared to him on the road to Demascus and convinced him he was wrong in his persecution.  

Truith

Matasoga

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:43 am
Truith
too be honest i'm not very good at starting things off. I'm more used to having someone else start. . . well lets see. I guess I can start with the radical change that Paul ( before known as Saul) went through. Before his change of heart he was a zelot against christians. Capturing them and sentencing them to death. But within just a few short days he became a man who suffered through horrible ordeals in the name of Christ whom he had persecuted. The only logical explenation in my eyes is exatly what the Bible tells us, that Jesus appeared to him on the road to Demascus and convinced him he was wrong in his persecution.

If your strongest defense is a story this old that could be as easily explained away as this, then I don't feel it worthy of my time to point out the myriad of fallacies within the idea of Christianity being logical.
Furthermore, would you have society and the state of science returned to what it was in that time? If not, then the whole argument is void.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:01 pm
As far as I can tell, it is no more logical or illogical than any other religion.

Christianity is my own personal belief, but i do not hold it against those who believe otherwise.  

Master Azrael Reaper

Deppfan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:38 pm
I don't think any religion is logical. In my eyes, religion is a coping mechanism. Once humans became aware of their own mortality, they were scared shitless, and had to come up with a way to explain everything, to not feel as if their time on Earth was wasted.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:44 am
Quote:
If your strongest defense is a story this old that could be as easily explained away as this, then I don't feel it worthy of my time to point out the myriad of fallacies within the idea of Christianity being logical.
Furthermore, would you have society and the state of science returned to what it was in that time? If not, then the whole argument is void.

Paul's actions appear in many several ancient roman documents and it states that he WAS a persecuter of Christians then out of nowhere became a pillar for there cause. Keep in mind that the people writing these things where Roman historians not Christians. in my opinion just because a story is old doesn't mean it is any less real. also in the regard to science It more backs my belief that christianity is logical than anything else. For example the science of probibility. . . . I'm sorry but I will have to come back to this again when I can find my books. sorry.  

Truith

Truith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:54 am
Master Azrael Reaper
As far as I can tell, it is no more logical or illogical than any other religion.

Christianity is my own personal belief, but i do not hold it against those who believe otherwise.

This coment worries me. If you don't beieve that what you hold as truth is logical then how can you believe it is true? I believe that God has given us the ability to prove to the furthest extent that his word is true I don't believe he wants us to live in blind faith. Also I believe that others have the right to live as they see fit (as long as there life style doesn't harm others.) but we as Christians hold the Truth, It seems like a crime to not at least share it. of course its not our place to force it on others.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:40 am
If your god has given you this ability, why don't you use it and show us? All you're really doing in any of your responses is mentioning parts of the bible, and saying that you believe they are logical and true because you believe they are. How about some of this proof you mention?  

Deppfan

Truith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:35 am
Truith
Quote:

Paul's actions appear in many several ancient roman documents and it states that he WAS a persecuter of Christians then out of nowhere became a pillar for there cause. Keep in mind that the people writing these things where Roman historians not Christians. in my opinion just because a story is old doesn't mean it is any less real. also in the regard to science It more backs my belief that christianity is logical than anything else. For example the science of probibility. . . . I'm sorry but I will have to come back to this again when I can find my books. sorry.

alright I still can't find the book but I remember most of the details. Using the science of probability you can figure out the chances of the prophesies in the old testament regarding Jesus coming true. If you were to take just 8 of the over 300 prophesies and calculate the chances of these specific prophesies coming true in a single human being. the number is ( and this is the part im not perfectly clear on but I know I'm close.) 10 to the 50th power. (thats 50 zeros.) the way they explain it in the book is this example. Say you cover all of Texas in silver dollars, two feet deep, pick one to single out and then have a man walk as far as he wants and pick up the exact silver dollar you singled out. AND THATS JUST 8 PROPHESIES. and yet Jesus fulfilled everyone of them regarding his first coming. and the ones regarding his second coming are made beyond obvious that they are going to happen the second time around.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:40 am
Deppfan Teague
If your god has given you this ability, why don't you use it and show us? All you're really doing in any of your responses is mentioning parts of the bible, and saying that you believe they are logical and true because you believe they are. How about some of this proof you mention?
I understand what your saying and im sorry. but It seems to me that I'm the only one putting up a defence for anything. No one has placed any real facts against christianity either. It's hard to put up a good argument when the statments made against my beliefs are so base with no facts placed with them. I'm just trying to do the best with what I have.  

Truith

Truith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:45 am
Truith
Deppfan Teague
I understand what your saying and im sorry. but It seems to me that I'm the only one putting up a defence for anything. No one has placed any real facts against christianity either. It's hard to put up a good argument when the statments made against my beliefs are so base with no facts placed with them. I'm just trying to do the best with what I have.

Oh, and personally I see Paul's conversion as a strong bit of proof towards Christianity I mean he had everything he could have wanted, he was a Roman citizen(rare among Jews), he had a high position in the court(It took a lot of work to get there). and yet he gave it all away to join the very thing he was fighting against. sorry I realize I keep coming back to Paul but It's one the stories I know best, so for me it's easiest to use.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:49 am
ok this isn't going very fast so I'll add another question to the mix. What do you think of Jesus Christ? Who is he to you? (this is just a side question I'm not nesisarily changing the main subject, unless it just turns out like that, but then. oh well  

Truith

Deppfan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:50 pm
Again, all you're doing is pulling stories from the bible itself, and then discussing it. Where's any vaildity? Any proof of anything? That would be a way to deem it logical, not just the fact that it's there so it's true.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff