Submit

Proverbs?
  Yes.
  No.
View Results

DvnT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:48 pm
Greeting
I've been reading in the book of Proverbs lately, and I've noticed that it is one book that is not primarily about God first.
It's about Wisdom, so I think I will post one proverb a week, and I want to see your responces, and what you think it means - other than just the obvious answer.

Once in a while -when I have the gold- I will choose someone from this thread who is following the rules below and give them either an expensive item, or something from their wishlist.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:51 pm
Rules
1. Be polite, it's opinions and thoughts here, no reason to get a decent thread locked.
2. Try to stay on topic, tangents are okay, but no random chattering about nothings.
3. You do not need to post every week.
4. You do not have to post your opinion if you do not want, but keep rule two in mind!
5. You do not have to believe in the Bible to post here, I will try to avoid proverbs that refer directly to God or who I believe his son is.
I will add more rules as nessicary.

DvnT

DvnT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:55 pm
This Weeks' Proverb

The teaching of the wise is a fountain of life,
turning a man from the snares of death.
[13:14]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:57 pm
History
[Previous Proverbs.]
12:26
A righteousman is cauthious in friendship, but the way of the wicked lead him astray.

13:3
He who guards his lips guards his life,
But he who speaks rashly will come to ruin.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick,
but a longing fulfulled is a tree of life.
[13:12]

DvnT

DvnT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:03 pm
Previous Gift Recievers and Their Gifts
2-18-10
Curse-of-the-Pheonix recieved a Ninja Sword from his wishlist.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:07 pm
I guess I'll start this topic then, and wait for others' to respond. ^^

I think that this means that people should be careful who they are friends with, because if you hang out with the wrong crowd you'll end up just like them.

Feel free to disagree.

DvnT

Starfyre Lokila

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:22 pm
Wow, great topic. ^_^

DvnT
I guess I'll start this topic then, and wait for others' to respond. ^^

I think that this means that people should be careful who they are friends with, because if you hang out with the wrong crowd you'll end up just like them.

Feel free to disagree.

I'd have to say that I agree with you.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:53 pm
I agree, but why the hell are you avoiding proverbs that refer directly to God if the Aithiest dont like it well they dont have to read because we all know God exists and i know deep down they do to.  

The_Cursed_Phoenix

cool4

Buggy Glitch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:47 pm
It is saying that one should be careful of friendships, if they come across "wicked" or dangerous events among there friendships they will come off the path of "Righteousness" or the morally correct path.

So in other words Cautious choosing of friends will lead to moral correctness.

I'm on the fence on if I agree with the Proverb itself or not, but as for it's meaning I more or less agree with you.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:06 am
Curse-of-the-Phoenix
I agree, but why the hell are you avoiding proverbs that refer directly to God if the Aithiest dont like it well they dont have to read because we all know God exists and i know deep down they do to.

Because I don't want to be the cause of an all-out flame fest.
There aren't many verses in the Book of Proverbs that relate directly to him anyway, and when they do they're often just reinforcing at least one of the Ten Commandments. I know what rules to follow, and I know that God exists, but what if someone else believes that they know that their deity exists?
Say I were a Muslim, and I were posting a thread similar to this one. You would probably prefer I avoided things that said straight out to follow the laws that Allah put down, would you not? I'm just being courtious.

DvnT

The_Cursed_Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:08 am
If we dont get Gods name out there we have had his name taken out of schools, Hell my sister got suspended for haveing a bible in her backpack and i am ((well maybe not hell bent that would be bad)) on getting him back in the school system, oh and yes i would be offended and if i started posting things about God ((which i have done in this guild)) they would be to, but God did not make Christians to be the most loved, or have the most toys, or even get the best jobs, he made us for fellowship and i am sticking to the AK's God just handed me and dropping the wooden clubs the Aithiest's want me to use.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:57 pm
Curse-of-the-Phoenix

Riiiiiiight. rolleyes

And what the hell do wooden clubs vs guns have to do with anything in here? (Referring to your other post)  

Deppfan

DvnT

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:04 pm
Curse-of-the-Phoenix
If we dont get Gods name out there we have had his name taken out of schools, Hell my sister got suspended for haveing a bible in her backpack and i am ((well maybe not hell bent that would be bad)) on getting him back in the school system, oh and yes i would be offended and if i started posting things about God ((which i have done in this guild)) they would be to, but God did not make Christians to be the most loved, or have the most toys, or even get the best jobs, he made us for fellowship and i am sticking to the AK's God just handed me and dropping the wooden clubs the Aithiest's want me to use.

I understand your obvious need for me to post a proverb directly refrancing God and his glory, etc. But I'm doing it the way I am because I don't want to deal with people like you.
Flat out, that's my reason.
I don't want to deal with people like you -on either side!- who want or don't want me to post it. People who think they are so right and that no matter what everyone should think exactly like they do because they are so conceited that there is no way they could be wrong on a topic like this.
I am not posting anything like that -nor do I bring up religion unneccissarily in other area's of my life- because I don't want to deal with this. You can spread the word you want, but if you've read the Bible at all you will see that Jesus -and even back in the days of the Old Testament!- nobody went around forcing religion upon anyone else. And those who did were often people like the Romans and Pharasees that there could be no way that they were wrong. Christianity -and Judiasim, from the Old Testament- has been spread peacefully by all it's major players.
What I'm doing is showing people how they should live their lives without pushing religion onto them. So don't try to correct everything.

Please, if you would like to continue this discussion/ argument, can we take it to PM's? I don't want a decent thread to go to waste, like I said in the rules.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:59 pm
Quote:

A righteous man is cautious in friendship, but the way of the wicked leads them astray.
[12:26]

I can agree with this. It's always good to make friends, rather than enemies. However, being cautious is a wise decision. You never know who you might end up being friends with. Sometimes you may end up making friends with someone who will try to pressure you into doing something you don't want to, especially something that goes against your beliefs ((religious or not)). Plus being with certain people may cause a bad image for yourself, even if you don't participate in the same activities as they do ((i.e. those who do drugs, those who are/were gang members, etc., etc.)).  

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

DvnT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:52 pm
Week two!
Proverb:
He who guards his lips guards his life,
But he who speaks rashly will come to ruin.
[13:3]

"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces