Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Oldies or the newies? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CleverScreenname

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:27 am
Which do you like better, older music or newer music. Most people who consider themselves to have refined taste in popular music seem to like the older stuff better. Mostly because way back when, the music industry was less involved in controling the type of music that their artists made. However, there is definately good music out there right now.

So what's your opinion on the music industry? Or for a lighter topic of discussion, what kind of music do you like? Why?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:45 am
I like lots types of music, but I must say that older musisc had some magic. There was fewer songs but they had some message to sent. Today celebrities sing about stuff that sell well sad . New songs pop up every day and there are only few songs that I will remember for sure.

I don't understand techno music, for me is just like sound of working manufactory =.=, but there are people that like it. I just don't know how they find diffrence between this songs. For me thay are just the same. I miss songs that had more lyrics that: "I love you baby, I miss you so much", "I am me just me look at me because I'm exception lalallala I'm such a rebel" or " The world is sad, you all will go to hell yeeaaahhh". I'm really thaknfull that not every artist fallow this rule smile  

Wiedziemka

bfdhshsgvjggh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:35 pm
I have no preference when it comes to music. My tastes vary. If you were to take my Winamp playlist and hit shuffle, you're guaranteed to catch any kind of music imaginable.

As for the music industry, as the son of someone who used to dabble in it, I can tell you it's incredibly cutthroat, like any other industry. If you aren't smart, and if you don't have smart people backing you, then you can find yourself screwed over. Nuff said.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:34 pm
I listen to generally anything and everything. I've found myself in a bit of an 80's mood more recently, so I started getting more into the oldies. I don't listen to the radio often, so I don't know too much new music until it's a few months old or so.  

Cornelius loh Quatious

No Longer Yours

7,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:08 pm
1. Turn off the radio.
I hate mainstream music. 99% of music played on the radio is garbage. If not for everything sounding the same, the lyrics being shitty, or songs being played on repeat; that leaves one song every month that I might actually like.

2. Taste in music is not about popularity
Don't listen to music crap, that has become popular. I don't care how many times it gets voted but lyrics such as "staring at my a** *beep*" doesn't constitute as music. You're just listening to it because the singer is hot slutty and using her sex appeal to real in listeners.

3. Listen to what sounds good to you
Everyone has an "ear" for music. By nature, we all hear music slightly different. Certain sounds appeal to different people. For instance, like most girls absolutely LOVE Dave Matthews voice and he is somehow the sex god... but I think his voice sounds like s**t. Listen to what you think sounds good, not what the masses think.

~~~~

As for that, I enjoy a lot of different types of music from classical, rap, rock, alternative, techno, ambiant, jazz, R&B, to whatever... But I listen to music that sounds good to my ear.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:11 pm
I'm of mixed minds on this. All the newer bands seem to just be clones of each other and sound the same... My chemical romance and fallout boy are good though! Long live Metallica!!!  

darkzumi

3,850 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200

Strideo
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:03 am
I listen to what ever takes my fancy. Old or new, even things in genres I'm not fond of if I like the artist or a particular song. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:34 pm
I haven't listened to contemporary music in about 3 years, and I must disagree. I haven't enjoyed a single song on the radio since the end of 2002; that is why I stopped listening. I am still exposed to the popular music of today, and many of the songs are missing the fundemental building blocks that would qualify it as an actual song. Some have no melody, many do not have a rhyming chorus, some have no vocal chorus at all. I've even heard a couple of Green Day songs in which NONE of the words in the "artwork(?)" rhyme. On top of that, most of it is very crude, and if it weren't so poorly articulated, I might have understood it, in which case I might have regurgitated on my brand new radio.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those snobs who likes to listen to the work of Johann Sebastian Bach or Antonio Vivaldi while I drive to work in my BMW S-Class. I would say that "MOTOWN" records was the pinnacle of American musical history. The story of how that record label came into existance is quite fascinating.  

rlimbaugheib

SpideyMun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:07 pm
My music is very varied anymore, althouggh I do enjoy some of the older stuff more then I use to.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:01 pm
[Teen Hearts Beating]
I like both. I do not like to stick to a certain genre or era of music.
[...Faster, Faster.]

BrianSaysRawr!

Sojuske

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:45 pm
[ Jenko ] I agree with about how everyone likes different music for different reasons.
Now, me personally? I like a crazy variety of music, although mainly no country and no rap or screamo. (or really heavy rock normally. I do l isten to some though)
I like certain peoples voices and style, like Danny Elfman's. I love Oingo Boingo, and his scores, they have a style that I can just listen to for hours. I love film scores in general, and movie music at times. I really enjoy listening to music in other languages and from other culters. I love music from india and lebanon and japan, also like to listen to french a lot as well. *shrugs* but it's all relative.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:36 pm
I've been told my tastes are very ecclectic--I have a lot of the Beatles, Nancy Sinatra, the Mamas and the Papas, David Bowie, and Bob Dylan on my playlist.

But I also listen to a lot of really new and underground bands that most people haven't heard of. Such as Chase Pagan, Sufjan Stevens, Imogen Heap, Watashi Wa, etc.

As for what other people listen to--I don't judge people by their music tastes ^^  

ScrumYummy

nydeathangel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:42 am
I like almost everything... Elvis has got to be my all time favorite, but I also find myself listening to Green Day, Michelle Branch, The Beatles. I don't like most rap, but Eminem's okay by me... With country I can only think of one song that I like (Angel of the Morning). I listen to Indian music (Bollywood Rocks!) and I listen to Japanese music, mostly stuff I heard while listening to anime.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:59 am
I like older music for a couple of reasons.
First, I often cannot understand today's lyrics and many are lewd, gross, or just plain disgusting. Maybe it harkens back to a more "innocent" time, but older songs were often about love--lost or newly found. It just seemed more tender and a bit more dignified.

Secondly, music today expresses concerns that many youth are experiencing, but is kind of alien to an "oldie" like me! [coughs] Singing about teen angst, cutting one's self, expressing suicidal thoughts, killing policemen (or encouraging it), promoting violence against women, inciting racial hatred, encouraging the proliferation of stereotypes, or glorifying anthing base or demeaning to anyone is not my idea of a good time.

On the plus side, newer music is great for dancing. There's also wide acceptance of foreign music and creativity is more prolific.

Ehh...just my two cents worth! 3nodding  

My Tea Bag

Hygienic Gawker

My Tea Bag

Hygienic Gawker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:02 am
rlimbaugheib
I haven't listened to contemporary music in about 3 years, and I must disagree. I haven't enjoyed a single song on the radio since the end of 2002; that is why I stopped listening. I am still exposed to the popular music of today, and many of the songs are missing the fundemental building blocks that would qualify it as an actual song. Some have no melody, many do not have a rhyming chorus, some have no vocal chorus at all. I've even heard a couple of Green Day songs in which NONE of the words in the "artwork(?)" rhyme. On top of that, most of it is very crude, and if it weren't so poorly articulated, I might have understood it, in which case I might have regurgitated on my brand new radio.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those snobs who likes to listen to the work of Johann Sebastian Bach or Antonio Vivaldi while I drive to work in my BMW S-Class. I would say that "MOTOWN" records was the pinnacle of American musical history. The story of how that record label came into existance is quite fascinating.

At last! Someone with whom I can agree! heart  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces