No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "FLC" Foreign Languages and Cultures
Zomg the American Sign Language thread. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you think ASL is cool and interesting?
  Yessum. ^^
  Nopeum. ( D:<)
  Umm.... goldeum.
View Results

hikaruxanadu

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:55 pm
Yup, how many here have learned or are learning ASL? I am learning it right now, but i've learned quite a lot about deaf culture and such, and how it is quite a small deaf world, due to the limited ammounts of schools that they can go to(unless they can hear well enough that they can go to normal school).

I really like ASL because it's a visual language, not a spoken one. I'm more visually oriented, so it's easier for me to understand the concepts and such.

It's pretty fun to be in a conversation, but some deaf people just talk and talk and talk, since they all know each other so well. ^^

Most of the Deaf people where I live all meet at like, Starbucks near the city mall, and they meet there for like, 4-5 hours every saturday. They really have some long convos. It's insane. gonk 3nodding

What are your thoughts on ASL?

Oh yes, and an edit.

ASL is quite different from the American language, since a lot of the word order is different, and also some of the grammatical features such as explaining things which in normal english are because we would say something like:

````````````````````````````````````````````-Whq?-
This good table (point to right to establish a place for it). Why? It very-cheap.

This is written ASL though. ^^  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:28 pm
I am trying to learn ATL. I also saw a group outside starbucks at the mall signing. It was beautiful to watch. I remember I wanted to be included in such an ornate and different language. SInce then, that has been my inspiration to learn to sign.  

super_nerd42

hikaruxanadu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:15 pm
ATL? o_o Well, a lot of people do that where I live too, they meet at the mall sometimes as well as Starbucks. sweatdrop

I decided to do it because it's a visual language, and it's easier to remember since I have a better photographic than spoken memory. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:04 pm
ASL is my native language. Sadly, I am no longer fluent in it and I basically sign Conceptually Accurate Signed English now. I am relearning Sign Language so that I can build a relationship with my family (and my current major in college is American Sign Language interpreting).

Yeah, the long convos are part of Deaf culture. Deaf culture is considered to be a collectivist culture. Deaf people tend to feel that friendships and relationships are vital.

Hazard_Tsunami

Fearsome Businesswoman

increvable

2,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:12 pm
I want to learn... but I don't commit myself.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:40 am
I want to learn more, but I am extrordinarily lazy... crying
Right now, I mostly only know insults.....Which is fun If I've been told not t open my mouth for the rest of the night...I can still be mean. twisted  

Skelicat

Loptr_Loki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:14 pm
I know a bit. We learned some when we read something on Hellen Keller...umm i dint remember the book...

Anyway we learned Sign Language and Brail reading. It was interesting so i continued with it... and am reasonably well the porblem is theres no one to practice it with...

...but i suppose thats a good thing... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:43 pm
I LOVE AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE!!!!! it is like the best thing in the world!!!!!! i took it in high school and now i am taking it in college!!! i have almost finished schooling to become and interpreter in ASL!!!! and then its going to be another 2 years t get my teaching degree!!!!!!! i have a guild about ASL but sadly its just about dead!!!! so its being sold....

Leeta7

A r c a n e A r c

Dangerous Sex Symbol

8,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:55 pm
Karasu-ake
I want to learn more, but I am extrordinarily lazy... crying

I have the same problem. XP  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:41 am
i can speak canadian!!! (random.......sry)  

nacho 777

nacho 777

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:22 pm
weeee!!! whee  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:38 pm
I'm learning ASL in college now. It's such a beautiful and lively language!  

faerie_ophelia

SMiNKLe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:46 pm
My mom learned it and was going to teach deaf kids but they wouldn't let her for some reason.

I can sign parts of a song! (and the alphabet) yay go me! lol
It's a really interesting language  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:08 pm
My mom knows most of it, and I only know some of it. If you are an interpreter, you get a lot of money cause there are not a lot of ASL interpreters.  

DarkJoker99

5,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Citizen 200

Halduras

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:46 am
I'm actually trying to learn ASL. I'm going to have to buy books on it over the summer.  
"FLC" Foreign Languages and Cultures

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff