Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gilded_Lotus

4,250 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:27 am
I don't really believe in Fate, for much the same reasons the Neo in the Matrix didn't. I don't like the idea that everything is predestined and I have no real choice in life. don't get my stared about destiny...its much like Fate, only your father tells it to you after he cuts off your hand and asks him to join him on the dark side. (Sorry couldn't help the starwars refference.)  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:10 pm
Determinism and free-will are like playing poker. You can't control what cards you're dealt but you do decide how to play them, with some luck and skill you can win even if you're dealt a crappy hand by life.  

Velorius

Kombei

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:56 pm
Personally I believe that in life there are about 3 maybe 4 over all paths that are inevitable but what you do to get there and which one you choose are completely up to you.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:56 pm
when a cue ball hits a racked set of billiard balls, thy
e trajectories of those balls may not be random, they may be result of complex interacting forces which to some superior intelligence might be foreknown.

but to those of us with merely human minds the results may as well be random or free. they might be roughly predictable but i doubt anywone could ever tell you precisely where each ball will end up on the break.

so if that is the trajectory of your life, subject to many complex forces, you just life it as if it were not fated; you may as well since it is unintelligible otherwise anyway.  

beaulolais

Evil Karma Angel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:37 pm
Wiccans don't believe inFAte, pure and simple. But that doesn't mean the Goddess didn't help you look sinfully delicious on Prom night where you got discovered for modeling or that the God didn't help you win that Football game where you got picked up by the NFL...  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:13 pm
i feel there's several paths and outcomes. what path you walk is made by your decisions.  

Temishi

BandofDans

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:33 pm
Fate is only an excuse for inaction. We claim that "fate" decides everything for us, but if that were true, all choices would be meaningless. There would be no such thing as consequence... But because there is consequence, we know there is not fate.

Allow me to explain. Supposing that I chose to kill someone. I would suffer the consequences of that action (anything ranging from having to be a fugitive or going to prison). Yet according to "Fate", I would have become a fugitive or gone to prison anyway... Despite the fact that I did nothing warranting those results. So: there is no fate. There is only the collective results of billions of lives thrown together into one environment, each one restricted by certain rules (gravity, guilt, hunger, etc).  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:45 pm
If you ask me fate really depends on each person and how they react to things or choose what to do. I choose my path the way I want to and I don't allow anyone to change it for me. If a person chooses to do drugs or get ito the habit of drinking all the time that is their choice and they chose that path themselves, no one else did. It's like people choose to believe in different things, that is their choice no one elses. *shrugs* But hey, that is just my opinion.  

Walk Through Hell

Azure Kite Virus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:16 am
I agree with you completely, Fate is not something that is like a school curriculum do this and do that and you'll get to point A. I think that it is shaped by our choices in life and what we do with people. The choices that we make mark our place in life and allow us to move up or to movedown in the social status.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:55 pm
koala bears have a secret civilisation!!! pirate .................. mrgreen  

nacho 777

T h e s t e p H

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:48 pm
I don't believe in fate. I believe in purpose, but not fate.
Fate implies that we have no choice, and if there's no
choice [no free will] then no human being could very
well be held accountable for his actions when he dies.
And to accept the existence of fate means to accept
that there is someone out there that determines our
fates, who's otherwise known as God.
And since most every religion puts forth that there is
accountability for wrong-doings and sins, be it hell or
reincarnation into a lesser being, we can't be punished
for actions and decisions that we were destined to make
anyway.

But I do believe in purpose-having a goal we're meant
to accomplish in our lifetimes, however big or small.
That's not to say that we are bound to succeed, or even
to recognize these moments when they come, but I think
we all have some role to play in the grander scheme.

Yet another one of my convoluted views on life.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:32 pm
fate is whatever you want it to be  

Lady Strigoi

General Fenai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:12 pm
Gilded_Lotus
I don't really believe in Fate, for much the same reasons the Neo in the Matrix didn't. I don't like the idea that everything is predestined and I have no real choice in life. don't get my stared about destiny...its much like Fate, only your father tells it to you after he cuts off your hand and asks him to join him on the dark side. (Sorry couldn't help the starwars refference.)

I agree and disagree w/ u. Fate and destiny in a way are different. Destiny is a destination that u will get there by however means...no matter what u do or dont do throughout ur life. Fate is something that I think one chooses for there own...that is something that I believe u do have control over.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:02 pm
Velorius
Determinism and free-will are like playing poker. You can't control what cards you're dealt but you do decide how to play them, with some luck and skill you can win even if you're dealt a crappy hand by life.

And let's not forget that there are other players in the game.

BabyKatZ

Kenutsu Yasashiku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:35 pm
There are a few things that are fate.

Death is one of the easiest ones to bring to the forefront. Even though you can prolong it, it is something that you must battle with until the time that you die. Death is patient and will always get you in the end if you ever show the slightest weakness... well, it is not that bad, but that is an example of somthing that could be taken as fate.

More mundane everyday things are not so much as predetermined as cause and effect. Sure there are many different things that could have happened, but what you did (Cause) is why you are were you are now (effect).

If fate was predetermined then you would not go through life with so many choises. (Hot, cold, warm, fuzzy, furry, ect, ect.)

Either that... or some greater power is playing a seriously evil trick on us and only making us thing we have choices.. but that would just suck....

Please tell me my answer had something to do with the question.  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff