Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Extinction of the Human Race Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

locke317

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:43 pm
Would it be benificial for the human race to go extinct? Not just from the human point of view, but from the point of view of the rest of the living creatures. Would it be good for the rest of the world if the human race went extinct?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:31 pm
I certainly wouldn't go as far as extinct, but the humn race is in indefinate need of some population control. That and install a sense of the vast importance of nature into everyone, especially these big businesses that care next to nothing about cutting down thousands of acres of land for profit (extreame example, but it gets the point across) The planet is in need of healing which humans as a race (not as individuals of course) is not providing the earth. This world will run out of resources eventually, and when that haens, humans will start dieing out unless they mae soem scientific discovery like a new world or build functioning space stations for people to live on.  

King Robert Silvermyst

Grypesagon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:07 am
No it wouldn't.

As for loosing resources... when/if we run out of anything it won't be anything vital. We can recycle most of the important goods and materials. We're already finding ways to avoid dependence on oil and gas. What could we possibly run out of that is absolutely crucial?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:28 am
Grypesagon
No it wouldn't.

As for loosing resources... when/if we run out of anything it won't be anything vital. We can recycle most of the important goods and materials. We're already finding ways to avoid dependence on oil and gas. What could we possibly run out of that is absolutely crucial?

clean air, food(i mean all food even plants they would be first to go then the carnivores)  

idiotic randomness

R i o k u

Witty Inquisitor

10,075 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:34 am
Water maybe? The Ozone Maybe? Anything else we have decided to get rid of maybe?

I do not believe Humans will go extinct, our planet will die long before that happens. Anything that happens to us is directly related to something we did though, so it is nothing we don't deserve. And that may sound heartless, but it is absolutely true.

We are overpopulated, we are greedy, we find ways of doing things that are easier and faster just because we like it done that way, and we do not take into account any harm we are doing in the environment. I am STILL waiting for a good snow fall, and I live in Canada for god's sakes. Hello global warming.

But, if we DID go extinct, I do believe life will continue on like it did before the human race. You must remember, animals have now addapted to living with us. Look at how animals like raccoons have adapted living in urban areas. Animals would get their homes back if we weren't here, and there would be a little more greenary in the Rain Forest, that's for sure.

There is something like 5,ooo tigers left in the wild. There used to be a lot more, and their only predator is mankind. If there were no humans, it would be back to survival of the fittest in the animal world.

If you want to think about it in retrospect...no humans here would benefit the planet.

(:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:16 pm
R i o k u
Water maybe? The Ozone Maybe? Anything else we have decided to get rid of maybe?

I do not believe Humans will go extinct, our planet will die long before that happens. Anything that happens to us is directly related to something we did though, so it is nothing we don't deserve. And that may sound heartless, but it is absolutely true.

We are overpopulated, we are greedy, we find ways of doing things that are easier and faster just because we like it done that way, and we do not take into account any harm we are doing in the environment. I am STILL waiting for a good snow fall, and I live in Canada for god's sakes. Hello global warming.

But, if we DID go extinct, I do believe life will continue on like it did before the human race. You must remember, animals have now addapted to living with us. Look at how animals like raccoons have adapted living in urban areas. Animals would get their homes back if we weren't here, and there would be a little more greenary in the Rain Forest, that's for sure.

There is something like 5,ooo tigers left in the wild. There used to be a lot more, and their only predator is mankind. If there were no humans, it would be back to survival of the fittest in the animal world.

If you want to think about it in retrospect...no humans here would benefit the planet.

(:

We can filter the water. The ozone... possibly but we've already pulled back and estimated diagnostics see mild regeneration.

I really don't see why everyone thinks the planet is gonna die. While we are overpopulating the areas we're in most of the world is still unpopulated.

I still don't totally buy global warming. I don't discount it entirely either but honestly... the gist of it is that the temperature of the earth has increase by a couple of degrees over that past hundred years. Forgive me for not believing that between churning butter and fending off wild animals with fire anyone stopped milking the cow long enough to get an accurate temperature reading of the earths magma.

Everything we know about the world is that things work in cycles. Yes we're likely disrupting the even flow of the patterns but historical accounts constantly refer to plagues and horrible storms and natural disasters that surprised everyone. It's more likely to be a natural fluctuation and two hundred years from now they'll actually know better when it happens.

No humans may be better for the animal kingdom... but I'm not planning on leaving anytime soon. Every generation has some massive concern about how the world will end. It's just gone from religion to science in the past couple hundred years. We don't understand as much as we think we do.  

Grypesagon

locke317

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:07 pm
Grypesagon
R i o k u

(:

We can filter the water. The ozone... possibly but we've already pulled back and estimated diagnostics see mild regeneration.

I really don't see why everyone thinks the planet is gonna die. While we are overpopulating the areas we're in most of the world is still unpopulated.

I still don't totally buy global warming. I don't discount it entirely either but honestly... the gist of it is that the temperature of the earth has increase by a couple of degrees over that past hundred years. Forgive me for not believing that between churning butter and fending off wild animals with fire anyone stopped milking the cow long enough to get an accurate temperature reading of the earths magma.

Everything we know about the world is that things work in cycles. Yes we're likely disrupting the even flow of the patterns but historical accounts constantly refer to plagues and horrible storms and natural disasters that surprised everyone. It's more likely to be a natural fluctuation and two hundred years from now they'll actually know better when it happens.

No humans may be better for the animal kingdom... but I'm not planning on leaving anytime soon. Every generation has some massive concern about how the world will end. It's just gone from religion to science in the past couple hundred years. We don't understand as much as we think we do.

With regard to the water, there is only a finite amount of it. Most of it is too salty for us to drink, and, I belive, inefficient for us to purify it.

Also, the world is getting near it's capacity to hold people. There are many people starving, and yet, the population is still going up. I think most of the areas that can support human life have been populated, are used for growing food, or are protected areas.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:23 pm
How do you define what is "good" and what is "bad" for the rest of the world's living creatures? Species come and go at an astounding rate, and it's only natural that certain species drive other ones to extinction.

The planet will far outlive anything that will ever live on it, and the life will always find a way to survive. While currently the human race is reducing the overall biodiversity, humans will also go extinct one day and the world will balance itself out on its own.

The point of valuing environmental protection is only to preserve the natural environment for human purposes, be it survival or aesthetic value. We encourage biodiversity because undiscovered species may have something we can use, and we want to maintain quality resources because we are the ones who use those resources as a society, and we don't want to have future problems because of short-term gain. Even endangered animals are only protected to preserve a balanced ecosystem in their natural habitats because an unbalanced ecosystem would eventually affect us in a negative manner.

Nature and life as a whole does not concern itself with what is "good" and what is "bad." Life is and will always be around, at least up until this planet eventually dies, and even then life probably will continue to live on elsewhere.  

Cornelius loh Quatious

R i o k u

Witty Inquisitor

10,075 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:15 am
Grypesagon
R i o k u

(:

How can you not see global warming? It is all around you?

Polar ice caps are melting, Ice Flows in the north are turning into slush in the middle of winter, it is 10 degrees in the middle of JANUARY.

And I suppose you are right. Since everyone THOUGHT the world was going to end, and it never did, we can just assume it never will. And this whole 'global warming' thing, is some religious crackpot vying for attention from the general public. I see the logic in that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:57 am
locke317
With regard to the water, there is only a finite amount of it. Most of it is too salty for us to drink, and, I belive, inefficient for us to purify it.

Also, the world is getting near it's capacity to hold people. There are many people starving, and yet, the population is still going up. I think most of the areas that can support human life have been populated, are used for growing food, or are protected areas.

There is not a finite amount of water. Do you understand the concept of evaperative cycling? Any liquid we drink we eject after straining what we need from it. The lighter hydrogen and oxygen molecules detatch and float up when heat is applied. Eventually it recombines as water and falls again. We will never run out of water. We may run out of clean water but despite it being inefficient for use to cleanse salt water I promise if push came to shove we'd find an easier way than the current methods.

As for population: please look at this map.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The paler an area is the more vacant the area is. The red areas contain higher concentrations of population. If you notice... most of the world is pale... not red. Because we aren't anywhere near the point of population density everyone is talking about.

As for food we've never had enough food to feed our population. We currently have the capability to feed approximately 5/6 of the worlds population. However if we stopped producing chicken, cattle and hybrid plants and only tried to grow things organically and stopped providing meat we wouldn't be able to sustain more than 1/3 of the earths population.

As for population increase, Asia still has the highest density and Africa has the highest increase rate. North America is actually the lowest populated and has the lowest rate of increase.

So hows that for use being evil and technology destroying everything?

R i o k u
How can you not see global warming? It is all around you?

Polar ice caps are melting, Ice Flows in the north are turning into slush in the middle of winter, it is 10 degrees in the middle of JANUARY.

And I suppose you are right. Since everyone THOUGHT the world was going to end, and it never did, we can just assume it never will. And this whole 'global warming' thing, is some religious crackpot vying for attention from the general public. I see the logic in that.

As for global warming... I never said I don't see it. I notice that the world is experience an increase in temperature. However the data isn't compelling enough. Could it be global warming? Sure. It could also be cyclic. Maybe this happens every 200 years and over the next 200 years it'll drop 8 degrees and then the following 200 years it'll go up again. Or maybe the human populations body heat is affecting atmosphere. My only point is that we don't yet know for certain what the cause is. I acknowledge the symptoms and do not debate them. All I doubt is our ability to accurately diagnose the cause.

dboyzero
How do you define what is "good" and what is "bad" for the rest of the world's living creatures? Species come and go at an astounding rate, and it's only natural that certain species drive other ones to extinction.

The planet will far outlive anything that will ever live on it, and the life will always find a way to survive. While currently the human race is reducing the overall biodiversity, humans will also go extinct one day and the world will balance itself out on its own.

The point of valuing environmental protection is only to preserve the natural environment for human purposes, be it survival or aesthetic value. We encourage biodiversity because undiscovered species may have something we can use, and we want to maintain quality resources because we are the ones who use those resources as a society, and we don't want to have future problems because of short-term gain. Even endangered animals are only protected to preserve a balanced ecosystem in their natural habitats because an unbalanced ecosystem would eventually affect us in a negative manner.

Nature and life as a whole does not concern itself with what is "good" and what is "bad." Life is and will always be around, at least up until this planet eventually dies, and even then life probably will continue to live on elsewhere.

And you... my god If I have to read one more line of the foolishness you're spouting I may finally blow a fuse. What's wrong with you? Can you actually beleive that stuff!? Cause I do. I'm with you all the way. I was just being a brat for the first sentance.

ninja you forgot i was a ninja! ninja

Grypesagon

R i o k u

Witty Inquisitor

10,075 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:52 pm
Lovely Map dear.

Now, I am going to give you a real geography lesson.

I currently reside in the northwestern chunk of your map, in a place called Canada. The Northern part of the Map is Russia. Wanna know why it's pale? Because who wants to build housing complexes in the tundra. Who wants to run electricity, plumbing, transportation to a dessolate wasteland of freezing cold temperatures and little vegetation?

In the center of the map, to the south we have Africa. It is looking pale as well. You know, the world's biggest desert is in Africa, the Sahara. Do you feel like collecting water in a pot for coffee and taking a shower in the river?

Like, I don't think you are thinking at all if anything you are saying is possible. It is just there.

"Look, large uninhabited chunks of land, see, people can go there."

"Regardless if the fact that every 200 years there ISN'T a warm spell and the temperature has increased all together, it COULD be an undefined cycle of crazy weather no one has discovered before!"

Consider this: In my country, Canada, we have more fresh water than anyone else in the world. And who says we are sharing it? Who says we have to? Humanity? Should have thought about that before you overpopulated your country, so you can just die now (:

Now, I don't actually believe this, but it isn't like you just 'find' good water to drink. 7% of the worlds water is drinkable, that leaves the rest of the planet's 67% of the worlds water not fit for human consumption. This doesn't include water we ourselves have contaminated.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:55 pm
What is the discussion here? I see a lot of people getting upset and a lot of people saying a lot of different things, but how does this apply to the topic at hand?

If you want to discuss global warming, there's a thread for it. I'm sure we have other threads for various other topics you guys brought up, and if not, you can make one.

The discussion:
Quote:
Would it be benificial for the human race to go extinct? Not just from the human point of view, but from the point of view of the rest of the living creatures. Would it be good for the rest of the world if the human race went extinct?

arrow Human race's extinction, beneficial to the rest of the world or not?  

Cornelius loh Quatious

R i o k u

Witty Inquisitor

10,075 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:18 am
o_O

Global warming impacts how long we are going to be on this planet, so I say it has something to do with the extinction of the human race.

But whatever, we'll stop if it gets under your skin that much.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:38 pm
It certainly affects whether or not we will go extinct, but that's not the topic. The topic is whether or not we SHOULD go extinct, not a question of whether we WILL.

It's not so much the subject matter, as all things are inevitably connected, I'd just like to see more discussion of the topic at hand.  

Cornelius loh Quatious

R i o k u

Witty Inquisitor

10,075 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:14 pm
dboyzero
It certainly affects whether or not we will go extinct, but that's not the topic. The topic is whether or not we SHOULD go extinct, not a question of whether we WILL.

It's not so much the subject matter, as all things are inevitably connected, I'd just like to see more discussion of the topic at hand.
Well, when people want to come in and post about the topic, they will, we aren't stoping them. Sometime in the future, someone is bound to make a new post.

We were talking about another topic raised when the original topic was talked about, and we are discussing it. If we were talking about politics in Iran, you would have a reason to fret. But you don't. So let us finish what we were discussing, please.

"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff