Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Persistence_of_Memory

5,650 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:18 am
I met a guy a few months ago and we'd like to start dating, but he lives in Idaho and I live about 1600 miles away. I can't see how this could possibly work out! For some reason though, I can't make myself say no to him.
This has to be the single most stupid thing I have ever done.
Any advice for me?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:24 pm
Well, I never really do believe in long-distance relationships. They just don't work out. But it's your choice. 3nodding  

!GreenEnigma!

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:01 am
They can work if you really want them to, but if the age listed on your profile is correct, I'm inclined to think that you're probably a little young to be getting involved in serious long distance relationships.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:04 am
I can tell you from personal experience that long distance relationships are a bad idea. It's just hard to manage and will most likely blow up in your face afterwards. Just be friends and see if you can make being friends work.  

GemEncrustedEarth

Persistence_of_Memory

5,650 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:52 pm
I agree with both of you. You're being logical way more logical about this than I am. This really is my first relationship, and I'm afraid that I could get in way over my head.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:10 pm
Melina_Grimm
I agree with both of you. You're being logical way more logical about this than I am. This really is my first relationship, and I'm afraid that I could get in way over my head.

that was my first relationship too and it royally blew up in our faces. give it some time. heck, i'll give you some advice my mother gave me (it's good). she said that "you need to date in order to learn what will work for you. you don't learn it all in one relationship."  

GemEncrustedEarth

HiddenWolfNinja

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:32 pm
Well, personally, i never thought long distance relationships worked out. but hey, if you like this guy, then why not, just make sure that you dont do anything like tell him where you live and stuff, you never know about those stalkers and stuff out there.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:07 am
Long distance relationships can work out (I should know, I was in one for some time, and from the looks of it I might be getting into one again soon) but it takes a lot of time and trust.

Preferably, it would be best if you guys met at least once in real life, but if you haven't, I'd say just be friends. If it's meant to be, it will be. heart  

Naoko Kensaku

3,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Window Shopper 100

Sotur

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:10 am
Personally, I think long-distance relationships are a bad idea. It wasn't my experience, but I have a friend who sustained it for about a year, and when he finally had the money to go and meet her [he had to use like $1000] it all blew up in his face, BADLY. She turned out to be completely different, I mean no offense to her, but she was a real B*tch to him, and he came out VERY hurt. For some it works out, though. I have another friend who ended up married to the guy she had the long-distance relationship with. But personally, in my opinion, it's not a good idea. I vote for just staying friends  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:38 pm
HiddenWolfNinja
Well, personally, i never thought long distance relationships worked out. but hey, if you like this guy, then why not, just make sure that you dont do anything like tell him where you live and stuff, you never know about those stalkers and stuff out there.

Yeah... I'm a lot more vague about that kinda stuff than he is. It makes me feel guilty sometimes, but better safe than sorry.  

Persistence_of_Memory

5,650 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Nammu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:15 am
Well idk really how a lond distance relationship works. Cause Puerto Rico is to small to someone having a long distance relationship xD But I know that love conquers all, well almost everything, If you want it to work, then make it work! Theres alwayse the phone, ariplanes, and internet. So have a good comunications and ur hopes up that it would work and it will works. Good Luck!  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:31 pm
Personally, I've always thought that whole "true love conquers all" is a crock.  

Persistence_of_Memory

5,650 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Sarallelogram

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:52 am
He'll always be my

Have you met him in person?
By other posts here it would seem that you haven't...
I believe long-distance relationships can work,
but if you haven't even really met the guy,
I doubt it will last very long.
Just stay friends for now,
that would probably be best.

I'm a freshman in highschool and my bf's a junior.
(2 days after Valentine's Day is our 3 month)
We go to the same school, but we've talked about our relationship
and I know we'll be together for a long time.
When he goes to college,
I know he might go somewhere far away,
but that distance isn't going to get in the way of our relationship (I hope.)

Long-distance relationships, in my opinion,
only work out if you really get to know the person
before it actually becomes long-distance
(if that makes any sence at all.)
It's best to meet in person before it actually becomes a dating situation.
But I do not suggest meeting him if you haven't already unless you really trust him,
the internet is ful of crazy people (like me XD)

(Man I think this is a really confusing rant, sorry about that.)

S u p e r h e r o <3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:24 pm
Nah, it makes sense. There's quite a bit of waffle in there, but there's important stuff hidden in the waffle.
And I'm well aware of all those crazed internet predators...

Persistence_of_Memory

5,650 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items