Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "EGG" Electronics, Gizmos and Gadgets!
PC or Mac? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

counter
  +
View Results

zenyk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:51 pm
I guess you seen the commercials about the PC and Mac. I have a PC and I don't know if I should get a Mac. I'm going to buy a new computer next month so I just need to know.

Should I get a PC or Mac?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:57 pm
Personally, I would recommend a Linux distribution. Many are free. I suppose though that the main concern is what you wish to do on that computer. If you want to play video games, then Windows would likely be best. If you want it to be cheaper, then Linux would be best, since most are free, and almost all software for it is free. I don't really like Macs, but that is my own opinion.  

God Emperor of Dune

Wiedziemka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:57 pm
PC is type of computer not software ^^'.

I have PC and I wouldn't change it for anything. Mac look cute, but you can have much better PC for the same price, but with less design things. I would recommend PC.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:56 pm
Thanks for letting me know blaugh .  

zenyk

Wiedziemka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:56 am
Happy that I could help smile .  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:30 pm
I like Macs because Macs are faster  

Radio Chaos

DruidTigeress

Sparkly Genius

25,225 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:42 pm
I really don't know becuase I'm not a very computery person, but in all honesty when I use my cousin's Mac, it just annoys me stressed  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:02 pm
macs arent always faster
it depends on the RAM~DDR or DDR2~ OR the virtual memory
and the CPU ~Intel or AMD~
there are Quad core CPU's that can prossess 12 or thirteen tasks similtaniusly without and issue
there are motherboards that can have up to like 16 GB ~gigabytes~ RAM
And it also has to do with the harddrive ~IDE or SATA(serial ATA)~
ide's are slower and are less reliable, most premade computers use them
SATA's are faster and more reliable but are more explensive, they go up to about 10000 rpm of the little metal disks in the harddrive
If you havent noticed i am a computer geek
and it also has to do with the video card, wich go up to about 3 GB's
so yeah it all depends
pm me if you have anyquestions  

Son-El 4474

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

tenfoottrike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:30 am
hahaha silly little people git a mac cus one thay never git virises fome the net and two you can run pc soft were on them three there faster with games and well every thing and last thay have promgrans that are for lack of better words the best that pc can not run  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:03 pm
tenfoottrike
hahaha silly little people git a mac cus one thay never git virises fome the net and two you can run pc soft were on them three there faster with games and well every thing and last thay have promgrans that are for lack of better words the best that pc can not run

Linux just about never gets viruses either. Technincally, there are some distros of Linux that can emulate a Windows environment, and most of the programs are great because people devolop them because they want to.  

God Emperor of Dune

zenyk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:37 pm
God Emperor of Dune
tenfoottrike

Linux just about never gets viruses either. Technincally, there are some distros of Linux that can emulate a Windows environment, and most of the programs are great because people devolop them because they want to.

I've heard about Linux.

Thanks everyone for your opinions biggrin .  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:59 pm
you should get a mac i have one and its great also it has alot and i mean alot of cool features pm me if you want to no anything about it  

thatninjakid11

Son-El 4474

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:31 pm
if you acually read what i wrote and belived it like a smart person you would know that macs arnt always faster!!!!!!!
it bothers me greatly when people dont know what they are talking about, i agree that linux s a good system nd macs are good sytems but they both can be out done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:11 pm
randomperson4474
if you acually read what i wrote and belived it like a smart person you would know that macs arnt always faster!!!!!!!
it bothers me greatly when people dont know what they are talking about, i agree that linux s a good system nd macs are good sytems but they both can be out done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is just about never the system that makes the compute great. Usually, the computer hardware needs to be good to have a good computer. Some OSes allow the computer to use more of those resources in a more efficient manner though. Usually, Linux distros can be found for whatever you want your computer to do. Windows is great for games, and has a lot of programs availible, however, most of them are either commecial or shareware (the really good programs for Windows). Macs are secure, and beyond that, I can't say I know much about their advantages. I personally don't like Macs.  

locke317

Nadian
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:04 pm
randomperson4474

Guess what? A Windows machine can be out done too! Le shock! (It's like you made absolutely no valid point what-so-ever, only very very very vague claims.)

Hardware most definitely makes a huge difference, but the choice of OS is no small matter. A badly designed OS could bring your system to a halt in many different ways. Insecure OSes can introduce malware that takes up processor time. Who cares if your CPU has a quad-core 2 GHZ processor when the machine spends most of its processor time serving as a botnet. rolleyes

The very question of this thread has become confused by the fact that Apple now uses x86 chips in their laptops, meaning a new Mac is essentually the same as a PC. It's just a matter of what you want hardware-wise and OS wise. (My exploration of Mac prices suggested that Macs really aren't much more expensive than PCs.)

However, the popular commercials are really about the OSes that usually ship with these products. You have many choices, but usually they come down to the following:

-Windows
-OSX
-Linux

Windows is, by far, the bloatiest, least secured, and most locked-down of the three. Oh, but why is it the most used? Illegal monopoly practices, mostly. (It's not illegal to be a monopoly, but it is illegal to use your monopoly in anti-competitive ways, of which Microsoft continues to be found doing in court.) Unfortunately, this might mean that you need this OS, anyways. If you're primarily looking for a computer to do web and e-mail you don't need this. The main problem with getting a PC with Windows right now is Vista, possibly more secure (it sounds like it but that's a horrible metric to use) but also the most bloated and locked-down version of Windows yet.

OSX is in-between Linux and Windows in terms of ease-of-use. Apple added a GUI to OpenBSD (an open-source Unix implementation) ; this means the kernel has been around for a looooooong time and looked over by many people. People like it because it is well polished. An older Mac laptop (six years old?) is also capable of running the latest versions of Mac OSX.

Linux is kind of a mysterious glob. Its kernel has many eyes on it, possibly even more than OpenBSD. Heck, I, myself, have done work in the Linux kernel. Out of experience, I can definitively say that Linux is really good for a code savy individual. Lots and lots of work has been going into making it ready for average-user use. However, I don't have enough experience with the various Linux GUIs to tell you how effective they are compared to OSX.

It might be possible to run Windows programs under Linux and OSX... I've heard of Wine a lot... it's an attempt to emulate windows enough to run windows programs from Linux. As far as I know, it's not 100% compatable, though.

Personally, I still use Windows at home, but I will not switch to Vista (which sounds quite horrible) and if I switched to anything it'd be to Linux (since I don't plan on buying new hardware.) I've quite enjoyed using my Mac, though, and if I decided to buy a laptop in the future it'd probably be a Mac.  
"EGG" Electronics, Gizmos and Gadgets!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff