No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §
Mental Ilness Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you been diagnosed with a mental illness?
  yes
  no
View Results

nannerz_loves_you

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:31 am
Hey all. So i'm sick of all the stigma that comes with having mental illness you know?

really what it is is that people are scared of the unknown. and mental illness is a very mysterieous thing.

one of my biggest life goals is to educate ppl about mental illness and i am dedicated to letting ppl know that it is OK to have mental illness. its the same as having diabetes. its an illness. it doesn't mean you are weak.

anyone that shares the same feelings as me
(or if you don't)
i would greatly appreciate if you share!!!

smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:12 pm
who defines wether someone has a mental illness or not or by what standards?  

Out of Kansas

rapidXtheXrudie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:39 pm
I ask the same question as ayase.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:09 pm
Well if we're going by text book meanings of something not quite right in your head I have extreme phobia of physical contact paranoia and schizophrenia but I consider myself mentally well(I never get lonely that's a plus right?) but I'm not entirely sure about what people need to be educated on.*shrugs*  

Nerevar Fatehand

nannerz_loves_you

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:30 am
well mental illess is just as real of an illness than diabetes or asthma.
the dsm4 is pretty much the handbook used to diagnose. i think that is horseshit but i know that mental illness is real. everyone has different mentality levels and can handle certain things better than others but there are some serious malfunctions in some peoples minds. what i mean by stigma is when ppl make fun of "crazy" people or psychiatric hospitals. stuff like that. in the law it says that people with mental illness cannot buy guns and that because they are "mentaly deffective" doesn't that sound just a little politically incorrect to you?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:53 pm
Well truthfully they could find a better way to address it instead of saying mentally defective like they're some kind of broken bionic toy, people making fun of crazy people or mental illness focused hospitals isn't that widespread at least not anywhere I've been only hear it in the odd way like "Man that guy was crazy" or something along those lines I never notice people insulting the mentally ill but then again one doesn't notice everything.  

Nerevar Fatehand

nannerz_loves_you

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:15 pm
i guess that where i live there is a crap load of stigma involved with it...

i mean i live in a place that is very judgemental about things they aren't educated upon and don't really fit in with the prodominent "religion" and stuff. i don't know i can't stand it. i am open with the fact that i have mental illness because it is a big piece of who i am (seeing that i have it all pretty severe and it effects almost every aspect of my life in one way or another...) and i have come to accept that ppl aren't always understanding. but honesty is never a weakness and if ppl don't like it well it's there loss lol. but i do think that since 1 out of 4 ppl suffer from depression to some extent mental illness is a thing that needs to be brought up in lots of ways.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:50 am
All a mental illness is is generally a problem in the persons brain where they can't control there own emontons due to damage or birth defect. These people most of the time have functioning brains so unlike the retarded, they can understand whats going on. One example is a man in the late 1800's, I forgotten his name but he suffered a nail going right threw his cheek bone and out of his brain in the front of his head. He was alive and imdeitaly able to sit up and speak complete sentcenses but the damage to his frontal loble mess up his behaivor and he became a very, expressive and violent person contrast to his calm and controlled self.
Most likey people are afraid of things they don't know or understand so its very common to find someone not wanting to get to know someone with a mental illness. They might be afraid of being harmed or just don't want anything out of the norm.
Although compareing diabetes doesn't seem acturate. People with diabetes are able to live heathy normal lives while some people with a mental illness can't.
But I guess this is really just a question of common mortaily and acceptan around the common man.  

XIcex_xPrincessX

Silent Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:20 pm
I was diagonosed with some weird "chemical imbalance and minor depression." Almost nobody at all even realizes anything is actually "wrong," and those I do tell don't seem to care. It is probably just the kind of people I hang out with. I think that the largest problem with things like mental illness is the lack of understanding and knowledge.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:21 am
iouwho i really don't agree with what you are saying. mental illness is NOT a birth defect, nor is it something that only comes from injury. Mental illness is an ILLNESS. and people with mental illness CAN lead normal lives. I have bipolar disorder (which is a mental illness) and yes i went through hell to get where i am but now i'm living a normal fulfilled life. my disease effects almost every aspect of my life, but think about it...diabetes effects every aspect of someone that has it's life. just in different ways. i take medication, so does someone with diabetes. i have to have certain accomidations at school, so does somewone with diabetes, i have to go to the doctor quite a bit, so does someone with diabetes, and i have to adjust my living style just like someone with diabetes. there really isn't hardly any difference except for the way our illness effects us. at all  

nannerz_loves_you

AvariciaMooneater

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:39 pm
ok
i think the whole 'mental illness' issue is kinda funny
especially if you invovle mental hospitals
people are supposed to go to the mental hospital to get better
2 things
1)these places rarely make people better. The white walls dont help(it just gives them a space to project their inner issues. Blue is more calming). Infact, 'better' just means more conformed to society.
2) There are times when there is nothing wrong with the person to begin with. maybe the invisible people that Sally talks to do exist. You never know.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:31 pm
honestly it sounds like you have never been to a psychiatric hospital. or a good one at least. i have been to one specific hospital 4 times (i have severe mental illness) and really hospitals are not white walled and all of that stuff. actually the hospital's envirionment was very comforting and it really did help. hospitals aren't there to cure you of your problem. they are there to give you a safe envioronment until you are of a major crisis situation. it really isn't like what most people think it's like.  

nannerz_loves_you

General Overall Deception

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:36 am
mental illness are just a lie, everyone has the strength to survive his/her own path in life, what defines mental illness is the fact that something in your brain is not exactly like other 345345353094570349 other brains, and thats ok, maybe you dont appreciate yourself and you are depressed about it but you know, you born great, dont let nobody tell you opposite, and you will see that mental illness is just being different, and dont tell me about people that is deficient cuz they have a lot less worries than a normal person, they are truly blessed, besides if you think a little you will realize that they are unable to wish bad to some one else.

so yeah mental illness are a lie and ignorant people will always be ignorant :3  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:47 pm
I was diagnosed with major depression (in the 98 percentile) and also have aspergers syndrome, I try not to make it look that way because people treat you differently.

And to say that there is no such thing as a mental illness is kinda harsh, I mean there is absolutly nothing wrong with my life to warrant my depression. While I do believe there are people who have personalities similar to some disorders and are misdiagonsed, I also know there are people who are really suffering and get help.  

Sliverly

Hikky-kun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:56 pm
i'm diagnosed with Scizofrenia.. no not split personalities like most people think it is...
funny thing is i choose to do all the things that apparently is the symptoms of Scizofrenia, i.e. distancing from other people, lack of initiative, lack of interests and motivation, self imposed isolation and so on...

for me it was a series of deliberate choices and then i end up being called a Scizo..

well i dont care at all i get money for sitting at home and doing nothing which is what i was hoping for when i began my project.
so not all people that are labelled mentally ill neccesarily fit that description..
that i have had a severe depression for the past 3 years that led me to take these choices is another story all together ^^  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff