Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
What's scarier: Eternal life, or death? Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 17 18 19 20 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dermoi

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:11 pm
that would depend on two things
1. does eternal life include eternal youth?
2. do i die at the end of the universe, or do i mearly fall to sleep and wake up again at the start of the next?  
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:07 pm
I find eternal life the more firghting of the two but it would also count on some things. What would be the qualtiy of life rich man, poor beggard,loney bachleor? then i think the mental conditions of most people would be treibble, seeing all of the people and family you ove would render a person very cold and lack care for for someones life.death on the hand is the end wvery lving thing has that to reconsle them if some has a treibble life then death is what they look foward to and would it be right to rob them of that?  

The realist Afro

Faye Fournier

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:29 pm
Well, you must be specific. There is the "Fountain of Youth" everlasting life idea, then there is the everlasting life idea of after death. And death is just...death.  
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:17 pm
honestly, i believe that eternal life is the worst thing, but not the scariest thing, you will see all the loved ones you ever knew die, and go into the state of depression and everlasting lonliness, but in time u will also learn that being alone is ur pathway from there, u'll learn that u cant fully get attached to the new people u meet in the new times, and though those people might wanna be with you all their lives, in ur heart u know that its not possible so you might disapear from their lives before they or you, get attached. eternal life is the complete opposite of death, though some people see death, because they might not know whats going to happen afterwords or whether they are scared they might go to a heaven or hell, other people see death as a new sancuary. some people may have experienced terrible things over their lives and see death as a new gateway to a fresh start. on my behalf i believe that people should not fear death if their concious is free from anything bad that u might have or cold have done, but instead embrase it, and await its new suprises and new beginings that await you, who knows there might be a better life for you in the black abiss that you call death.  

sukiomi1

6,750 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

FoxDemonNarutoGurl

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:07 pm
I will freak if i was to have internal life I mean I'm already not to fond of life and what is there to do anyways there's not meaning to life as far as I know I'm still trying to figure that out but i doubt i will and death is just puzzling but not scary but living life forever like that having to work all the time and struggle to earn a living while others are wasting away and not caring much I mean how will the world be after a couple of centuries look at this world now especial the U.S. Its populated like nobody thought possible and were running out of fossil fuels and the government doesn't really try to lift a finger to help how funny I mean they could start small and stuff but I'm gonna get back on subject I'd ratter die than live in this cruel world evil ..... thats my opinion sweatdrop I sound like a 30 year old thats really into politics and stuff but I'm only 13 thats scary rofl  
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:47 pm
Eternal life scares me.
Just the thought of living forever, all my friends dying and most likely an alien takeover.
The alien takeover would be fun.

JeremyTheNerd

HinaAndrew94

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:01 am
I would rather have eternal life being mortal sucks. You decay you get old you die. You will never see how the world plays out or how things are gonna change all you get is your brief lifetime i am more afraid of death then any other fate that might come to me. But with eternal life you can see it all.  
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:19 pm
Neither are scary. I would like to see the end of the planet, but death doesn't scare me. Even better if I had both and was Death himself. twisted  

Havishno101

LovetoCauseMayhem

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:35 pm
Hello everyone, new member here. Hello! heart Wanted to talk in the religion subforum, but we are unable to now. -is sad-
Well, eternal life wouldn't be frightening, but it would be sad. You would be there, always, always there, and everything around you would be falling apart with the passage of time. Friends die, cities vanish, legacies made and destroyed, lives gone. And all the time, you're just standing there watching. Eternal. Unable to help, because human kind is unable to learn from past mistakes, and who would believe someone who says they are immortal? You must distance yourself from everyone - distance yourself because you know THEY will eventually die, and meeting new people and devoting your love to others would result in endless heartache. Eventually, you would become nothing. An empty shell, devoid of emotion and uncaring as the world topples to your feet by mankind's own greed. It would be the nearly the same as death, except no one knows what happens once you die in body. Once your soul is dead though... the body is left to die as well, and though you may live, there is no reason to.

The act of death however, is quick. No one knows what death may bring, but I don't believe there is nothing after death. There would be no reason for us to live our lives and go through the tortures we do if there wasn't SOMETHING afterwards. Ghosts, spirits, apparitions wouldn't exist, if there wasn't such a thing as 'after death'.

Death isn't something to BE afraid of. If you must fight against it, then you may, but it isn't something to be feared. It will descend upon all - no matter the race, gender, belief, or age. It is the great equalizer, and it must be faced with courage, not fear.

Oh! Sorry! I guess I ranted on a little, huh? sweatdrop Sorry. I'm a writer, so forgive me if I become too wordy at times.

Look forward to meeting you all!  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:54 am
King Hoshi
It wouldn't be scary to live forever, but it would be a sad fate. One would have to live on while the people he loves die gradually. You might feel so much pain, but you would live with it because you have to. You might fall in love, but your lover would die far too soon for you to live forever with him or her. I don't think anyone would want such a miserable fate.

You, my friend, have a weak understanding of the multitudes and variety of people that exist in this world. There is no limit to the number of people that I love but all the same would be willing to watch slowly age, deteriorate, and eventually die, just to know that I would not suffer the same fate. "Tomorrow," is the greatest gift that all living things share. To not have it, is to have nothing.  

Matasoga

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Matasoga

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:56 am
LovetoCauseMayhem
Hello everyone, new member here. Hello! heart Wanted to talk in the religion subforum, but we are unable to now. -is sad-
Well, eternal life wouldn't be frightening, but it would be sad. You would be there, always, always there, and everything around you would be falling apart with the passage of time. Friends die, cities vanish, legacies made and destroyed, lives gone. And all the time, you're just standing there watching. Eternal. Unable to help, because human kind is unable to learn from past mistakes, and who would believe someone who says they are immortal? You must distance yourself from everyone - distance yourself because you know THEY will eventually die, and meeting new people and devoting your love to others would result in endless heartache. Eventually, you would become nothing. An empty shell, devoid of emotion and uncaring as the world topples to your feet by mankind's own greed. It would be the nearly the same as death, except no one knows what happens once you die in body. Once your soul is dead though... the body is left to die as well, and though you may live, there is no reason to.

The act of death however, is quick. No one knows what death may bring, but I don't believe there is nothing after death. There would be no reason for us to live our lives and go through the tortures we do if there wasn't SOMETHING afterwards. Ghosts, spirits, apparitions wouldn't exist, if there wasn't such a thing as 'after death'.

Death isn't something to BE afraid of. If you must fight against it, then you may, but it isn't something to be feared. It will descend upon all - no matter the race, gender, belief, or age. It is the great equalizer, and it must be faced with courage, not fear.

Oh! Sorry! I guess I ranted on a little, huh? sweatdrop Sorry. I'm a writer, so forgive me if I become too wordy at times.

Look forward to meeting you all!

What would become of you and what might become of others may be two very different things. You would do well to keep this in mind.  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:37 am
"What would become of you and what might become of others may be two very different things. You would do well to keep this in mind."

So you're saying that not everyone dies? Or are you speaking of some other subject I addressed?  

LovetoCauseMayhem

Ethurill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:46 am
I'd say death is more scary, but I'd prefer to die then to live forever.
Death is scary because who can say what happens after you die and fearing the unknown is what all humans do, but eternal life would wear thin after a while. If everyone you loved died and everything repeated itself, repeatedly, over and over - that would be worse. And of course people would discect you and treat you like a freak if you were immortal...

EDIT: Hm, let me get my quote book out:

"Do you know what experience is? Experience is when you have handled sometime so much that the shine wears off it. Experience is when you begin to see how relentlessly predictable people are, how generation after generation they follow the same simple, ugly pattern.
... so much has become jaded, all that is left is the search for something new..."
Asara, The Braided Path

"You can spend the rest of your life with me, but I can't spend the rest of my life with you."
The Doctor  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:46 pm
This question is an easy one for me. Eternal Life is much scarier than facing death, at least for me. We're all humans and humans have to go through the whole death experience. It is just what needs to be. Sure it's scary, but it'd be worse to live forever and watch everyone and everything around you die.  

KittyWoman12

Snarky Strategist

23,875 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175

magic_doglover

Distinct Dog

6,650 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:35 pm
i think that eternal life would be scarier. i mean, you would eventually lose everyone and everything that you ever cared about, so you would probably end up being horribly bitter. after living for thousands of years, you would eventually run out of things to do, and most likely get horrible bored and depressed.
with death, it's just a bit of a gamble. if there is no soul, then it won't really matter when you die, since you won't exist to suffer or be unhappy. if there is a soul, then if nothing else, you'll find something new and interesting to experience after you die.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 17 18 19 20 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff