Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
What's scarier: Eternal life, or death? Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ScardyG

4,950 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:39 pm
I guess it depends on how you view eternal life and death.
If you believe that this is the only life we get, and that death means nothingness, then it is the scarier.

But the way I see it, death is just the end of one portion of life. If all matter is made up of energy, and energy cannot be created nor destroyed, then life itself cannot be destroyed. At death, our essence, our life energy, our soul or spirit or whatever you want to call it, leaves the body. What one experiences after death, no one knows. Do you retain your memories? Your thoughts? Your personality? I don't think anyone can say for sure, but we do go on. Energy can be neither created nor destroyed, only moved or transformed. So when we take that into consideration, we realize that death does not mean we cease to be.

However, to never move on is to stagnate. A stagnate pool grows sour and fills with nasty things. A person who does not allow for change in their life or ways will grow sour in the same way. So if we see eternal life as living in the same, never-changing body, living the same life the same way as always, then that is the scarier, not because it would get boring, but because it would mean the decay of the spirit and mind.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:58 am
Dying is necessary and fascinating as well. Only those who have died know what happens when you do. It's a discovery that we all one day will figure out. I try to find it as an exciting journey. One where you live your life here and enjoy the knowledge and love given to you then are able to experience something that living people can not tell you. Immortality is some what inconcievable. We've had our time here why live longer than needed too? We know new advances will happen but do we really have to live for them.....forever? Why miss out on something that science can't explain? My belief will always be with God. But with others out there who don't believe in him death should not be feared. But it is and there will always be people who fear it. In the end....it's up to you.  

Demon_of_Silver

xxIBeKittyxx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:27 pm
Definitely eternal death. I don't fear my own death, only the death of those around me.
Odd, right? XP  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:59 pm
To me I'd want eternal life, but only to learn.....yes, so what I want to learn everything.Death is scary, because it means I might not get a chance to learn these things before my time.  

killerclownmeat

6,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200

RiziN-ergeez

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:42 pm
eternal life cause everyone you love will die and you'll have to go through the terror of the sun eventually exploding. burning_eyes Though I would like to live a full life before I die.  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:49 pm
Eternal life because death is the one surety we all have now. Don't get me wrong, i've love to live forever, i'd love to see what was invented, but i hate seeing the planet being destroyed and i can't imagine what Earth would look like in 100 years, let alone 1000. I don't want to live if it means living without those i love, living with the rainforests, the savannahs, the whales, the tigers. No way.

All the beauty would be gone... and you'd just be.... eternal.

roni_ruin

Vakna

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:26 pm
Death is a thing we all know of and, I at least, have come to terms with it.
Eternal life would make me famous, and, eventually, I would become very wise, which would mean if anyone needed anything to reflect upon to come to a decision,(Don't repeat the mistakes of the past, ect) then they'd come to me. Also, I would be able to do everything, and learn everything. If you also mean immunity from bullets as immortality, then I could be a one-man army, also. Serving America however she wishes me to.
But, eventually, if you also mean immunity from explosions and space, I'd eventually be alone and drifting out in space after the earth dies. I would then slowly grow mad, for the chances of landing on another sentient planet is distant. (if you also mean immunity from long falls)

So, if you only mean long life, and not superman-like immunity, then I could live as long as I wanted and then just end it with a bullet.

And I haven't even mentioned the loss of friends throughout the years. I think I will refrain from doing so, my food is done now.  
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:40 pm
Death is a natural thing, a part of life. If you a bound to loved ones and promises and pacts, then it is a scary thing.

Eternal life, however... Is MUCH, much scarier. Watching those loved ones around you die... And if you are plagued with a sadness or a sickness that is incurable, then there is no way to end the suffering. That's probably why in most stories those with eternal life seek death. (I am suddenly reminded of that one book, Tuck Everlasting)  

Ladd Frand

Scoffiursa

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:18 pm
As has been previously stated many a time to me eternal life is a much scarier concept to me than death. Death is something everyone fears once they sense their time coming, it is quite a sad painful experience to see death grip ones you love rather then have it happen to you yourself. I would much rather give my life then have to live through all those I know dying. I would hate to turn out like Wowbagger.  
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:12 pm
I think death is scarier for me. I don't know why exactly - but I hate the idea of having a time restriction. It's like visiting a national museum an hour before closing time or something.

Eternal life appeals to me, because I would like to have the time to explore everything about the world. An average life expectancy of 80 years doesn't even allow us to begin to understand what's around us, it's the equivelent of five minutes in the grand scheme of things.

But I agree with some of the responses before mine, and I wouldn't like watching those around me die, but I'd know I spent every last moment with them - the whole of their life, loving them.

...and, I would rather live forever with memories of the people who I have loved, then forget them in death.

I don't believe living forever would make me numb, or detached or suicidal - having more time to really study and pay attention to everything would give me a greater respect for it all.

We don't have enough time for anything in the modern world and I think people are far more numb and detached now, living in monotony and knowing that their short life has to be spent doing what society expects of them.

And to live forever, to collect all those skills throughout your years, to make friends and lose friends. You would think you'd be saving a lot of lives as well as losing them.

That's just what I think though xD;; I dunno, maybe I haven't thought it out enough.

grimcake

Anxious Cat

Fire Gwen

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:59 am
Eternal life would be horrible. Not only would everyone around you die, but you would be around to witness the end of the world. Death might mean the end, but I'd rather take that then eternal life any day.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:05 pm
Eternal life, easy. Death is very simple, there's nothing scary about it when you develop a true understanding of it. I recommend lots of meditation. Anyway.... Eternal Life is terrifying because nothing is meant to last that long, the inevitable insanity one would have to live with is a burden so great it cannot really be expressed in words. Death is not the end of anything, it's really the end of the beginning. The death of the mortal coil becomes the life of the ethereal.  

green war slave

6,300 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

Uber_neon_IV

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:32 pm
i think immortal life would scarrier seeing all your loved ones die right in front of you and aside from all the ups ud get really really old looking XD but i think id rather like to live my time and then die instaed of never dieing >.>  
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:46 am
eternal life definitely-- i would never be able to bear watchin people i know die around me forever.

by the way when i saw this i thought of tuck everlasting-- anyone ever read that book?  

jogy8406

Addamondes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:04 am
First of all being rotting POS in the ground is death(your basing allot of your decisions like end of the world, not going to heaven, or nirvana), second after a thousand years your going to have new stuff to do, and finally I'm pretty sure that getting old looking is dieing you know the cells of your body deteriorating(Also, if your planing on like replying to this I wont see it, not like I'm planing on spending my life on this one thread). Plus this is a little edit after reading some other posts, some people are saying that its so sad having to see everyone else die around you and your spending all your time on this or if your not you wont see them if your dead anyways or others said "O NOES TEH SUN GON DONE IMMPLODED"what in like 12 billion years?  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff