Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
What's scarier: Eternal life, or death? Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ChiffonMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:42 pm
Hum. Interesting discussion. I didn't entirely realize that humanity actually faced issues like these until now. Gaia does not cease to entertain me.

Well, see... both can be mutually horrific. Personally, eternity is the worst thing to me. There are several reasons for this. One being how after a while, everything you had a passion for would wilt in your own sight. For example, listening to a song over and over and over again. You start to memorize the notes, the tones, and even know the second a particular chorus is going to come in. It loses its light, and then it becomes almost repulsive to listen to. That is what life would turn into eventually if one was to live forever.

Death compaired to this horrific ending? I would welcome it. Infact, I already do. Sometimes I think to myself that if someone is afraid of death, they simply haven't explored the more deeper corners of their being. Death isn't something to be scared of. Infact, by the time you do die, if you die from natural causes, you should have had a fulfilling, tiring life. Maybe. Some people are different, so I cannot simply put that out there and rely full-heartedly upon it. That's something you should never do, put too much faith in something. Balance is the key. Life and death alike portray this balance ideal quite well.

Without dark, there can be no light.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:03 pm
Eternal life is probably far worst.
You could catch all these diseases and whatnot having reoccurring pains with no cure.
Unless it's like Eternal Life for like 300 years.
I could do that.
Or Eternal Life with no pain side affects.
Then I'd totally do Eternal Life.
Unless I stay super wrinkly old.
Unless it's a rewinding thing like Benjamin Button. lol

Michael Menace

Donna Cecilia

Romantic Genius

16,050 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:12 am
The secret source of Humor itself is not joy but sorrow.

Eternal life is doom.

The only good thing about life is knowing that it will come to an end (without knowing which day), so you are encouraged to live each day as if it were the last.

There is no humor in heaven. Mark Twain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:40 am
I think that death would be scarier, while eternal life would be WAY more depressing. Death you leave everyone behind that you ever knew. Eternal Life would make you watch as your friends and family die in front of your eyes.  

Nariana

Hygienic Genius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:32 am
Depends on what you are talking about...
If you're talking about eternal life like in heaven, psh! I'm ready to go. Take me away!
If you're talking about living forever on earth, I wouldn't enjoy that so much. I would watch people die that I may have known for a long time, and it just wouldn't be fun...

Death is nothing because I'm going to heaven. Sure, I may be sad leaving my loved ones and whatnot. But soon I'd be with my Maker living it up.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:53 am
Eternal life would be scarier because people may start avoiding you because you cant die and you watch everyone you now and love die. Also, with the way the Earth is now, with global warming, you may end up perishing with the Earth. (if it happens to)

With death, it just depends on how you die. Some ways of death may hurt or seem scary, but you would soon be in peace and out of pain.  

Sango of the Mist

kerrowe

Unsealed Miko

36,175 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:04 pm
The first choice since well living is a more hell than mabye hell since well if you sent to jail for life and you won't die then what can you do with your forever life that and you would out life earth so when the planet dies then what your stuck in space  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:03 pm
death because with eternal life you can do things you've always wanted to do with limitless potential  

ggem3

8,700 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nudist Colony 200

Wintryicegoddess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:28 pm
I think that eternal life would be scarier. I find comfort in believing that there is no life after death, that we simply cease to exist.
I was "dead" before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it, as Mark Twain phrased it.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:53 pm
Ilkei
Hum. Interesting discussion. I didn't entirely realize that humanity actually faced issues like these until now. Gaia does not cease to entertain me.

Well, see... both can be mutually horrific. Personally, eternity is the worst thing to me. There are several reasons for this. One being how after a while, everything you had a passion for would wilt in your own sight. For example, listening to a song over and over and over again. You start to memorize the notes, the tones, and even know the second a particular chorus is going to come in. It loses its light, and then it becomes almost repulsive to listen to. That is what life would turn into eventually if one was to live forever.

Death compaired to this horrific ending? I would welcome it. Infact, I already do. Sometimes I think to myself that if someone is afraid of death, they simply haven't explored the more deeper corners of their being. Death isn't something to be scared of. Infact, by the time you do die, if you die from natural causes, you should have had a fulfilling, tiring life. Maybe. Some people are different, so I cannot simply put that out there and rely full-heartedly upon it. That's something you should never do, put too much faith in something. Balance is the key. Life and death alike portray this balance ideal quite well.

Without dark, there can be no light.

You've put this quite perfectly, i couldn't have said it better myself.
needless to say, i completely agree.
i would also like to add something, that's been bothering me for quite some time!, Thoreau's book, Walden, clearly explains this as well.
Why, does a race that, in my opinion, Lives to Die, fears death so much?
and also, we seek to live long lives, yet fear age!, and do everything in our power to prevent it.
We are Contradicting ourselves!
We Fear eternity, we fear death, we fear growing old, and we fear staying young!, there is only one thing i can see that these have in common, and that is, Fear!
We live to die, because we fear to live.
It would take a very stupid kind of person, or a very courageous kind of person to wish for eternity.
The balance between life and death is something the cowered in me constantly thanks God for.
Where as the scholar in me wishes for more time!, to further my study on life, and to embrace it, in new ways that only knowledge and years of experience would allow me to do.
The Human race is a walking Contradiction, and i, i am ashamed to admit, that i am no exception...  

Yuuki Aoyagi

Paper0clip

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:44 pm
If you are have eternal life that does not mean that you have eternal youth. you could be this old wrinkle mass of skin and bones. Not because you are sick but because your body has deteriorated so much. You see the world passing by without being ever truly apart of it. Everyone you see will die before you and your all alone...even if you do get to keep your youth. No offense to anyone but the world is not exactly a paradise.

With death...no one knows. But if there is no end in our lives do we truly have meaning?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:20 pm
R e i t Fox Says:

Depends.
If I live forever does my body continue to age? Because one thing that scares me one helluva lot is growing old.
If I could stay young then I'd rather live forever than die, for fear of the unknown. I have no idea what happens to me when I die and that terrifies me.

User Image

R e i t Fox

FinalVenom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:20 am
im most afraid of eternal life
to live knowing that everyone around you will die

also eternal life dosent mean eternal youth so if you live for over 100 year you would be and old crippled man  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:20 pm
My friend and I also had a conversation like that. She said that people were scared of eternal life because of watching everyone around them die and that that was a stupid reason. She said she wouldn't mind if all of her friends died while she herself did not. I was mad at her after that. xD

But anyway, I would have to say that I'm more afraid of death. I do believe that eternal life is a curse, but death... death is the unknown. Eternal life? Sure society and culture will change, but not rapidly enough that you wouldn't see it coming. I sincerely hope that eternal life goes hand-in-hand with eternal youth in that case. ;D

Barrista

5,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Signature Look 250

omgdude177

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:56 am
yes death is scary and so is enternal life but i say death is scaryer in enternal life it will get boring and u would have to watch the ones u love die but u get to watch the world around you change  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff