Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

azrael the reaper_95210

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:46 am
Gopher dude
An educated person is plain and simply.

Someone who has bine educated.

I.E they have gone to school and have bine taught up to and past a high school diploma.

no, that is a person who has been schooled. I mean educated. it has nothing to do with weather you can memorize a ton of "facts" taught by a school. (I have little faith in their "facts" as anything has the potential to be proven wrong)  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:12 am
azrael the reaper
Gopher dude
An educated person is plain and simply.

Someone who has bine educated.

I.E they have gone to school and have bine taught up to and past a high school diploma.

no, that is a person who has been schooled. I mean educated. it has nothing to do with weather you can memorize a ton of "facts" taught by a school. (I have little faith in their "facts" as anything has the potential to be proven wrong)

since the word derives from 'education' which means having been schooled, then the term 'educated' implies having gone to a school. but it doesnt necessarily mean so. it also means having relevant experience or possessing above average knowledge. and the only way of possessing above average knowledge about something is to either have direct experience of it (be that from school or real life).  

Calypsophia

Kachan36

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:33 am
Calypsophia
azrael the reaper
I am seeing many great ideas here.

I do not think just because you are "school" educated that you are necicarilly educated.
There are people who excelled in high school, but since 90% of high school teachings are pointless, they are out of their league in the real world. So they head to college, but never leave. They stay in college getting more and more, higher and higher degrees for the simple reason that they can not handle the real world, so they stay in the safety of the school system.
They are not educated in "the real world". They are so extremly learned in school survival and fear leaving its safety in which they always excelled. So therefore, those with high degrees are not necicarilly educated.

@bold.. I think what you're talking about is 'experience'. I think there is a big difference between knowledge and experience. experience is putting knowledge into practice. we generally get our knowledge thru book learning. some people are lucky enough to have 'hands on' training, those are the ones who dont have to wait to apply the knowledge they've learned in the classroom, they can go right out and glean some entry level experience in the real world while in the process of learning the knowledge. but you're right.. there are some people who hideout in the school system for as long as they can because they're afraid of growing up and accepting the responsibilities that come with adulthood and contributing to the society they belong to.

Actually, experience is one of the ways in which we obtain knowledge. The hands on training you speak of is the same thing. Learning "in the real world" is just another form of education.

People who choose to stay in school are also educated, just in a different way. The only truly uneducated people are those who refuse, or don't get the chance, to learn anything.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:21 pm
Kachan36
Calypsophia
azrael the reaper

I do not think just because you are "school" educated that you are necicarilly educated.
There are people who excelled in high school, but since 90% of high school teachings are pointless, they are out of their league in the real world. So they head to college, but never leave. They stay in college getting more and more, higher and higher degrees for the simple reason that they can not handle the real world, so they stay in the safety of the school system.
They are not educated in "the real world". They are so extremly learned in school survival and fear leaving its safety in which they always excelled. So therefore, those with high degrees are not necicarilly educated.

@bold.. I think what you're talking about is 'experience'. I think there is a big difference between knowledge and experience. experience is putting knowledge into practice. we generally get our knowledge thru book learning. some people are lucky enough to have 'hands on' training, those are the ones who dont have to wait to apply the knowledge they've learned in the classroom, they can go right out and glean some entry level experience in the real world while in the process of learning the knowledge. but you're right.. there are some people who hideout in the school system for as long as they can because they're afraid of growing up and accepting the responsibilities that come with adulthood and contributing to the society they belong to.

Actually, experience is one of the ways in which we obtain knowledge. The hands on training you speak of is the same thing. Learning "in the real world" is just another form of education.

People who choose to stay in school are also educated, just in a different way. The only truly uneducated people are those who refuse, or don't get the chance, to learn anything.

read my last post, just above your last post.  

Calypsophia

Kachan36

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:02 pm
Calypsophia
Kachan36
Calypsophia
azrael the reaper

read my last post, just above your last post.

I realize we are saying the same thing; we seem to always be saying the same thing! I was just clarifying the use of the word "experience". Experience is a method of obtaining knowledge, not the application of knowledge.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:19 pm
i say that even if the person has gone to college, or finished school,if they are not educated in using the information in a real life situation then they have no helpful knowledge  

Decrepit Bunny Rabbit

azrael the reaper_95210

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:32 am
you can be taught tons of math, science, history, etc, but in the end will any of this information help you to do something with your life. I know plenty of ppl who did just fine in all kinds of subjects, but chose to be a parent. another person was in the to 5% in my graduating class. know what he is going to do? he's gonna be a farmer! I also know someone else with tons of scholarships to go whereever they want, and are using them to get high education because they really have no idea WHAT they want to do with their lives......

think like this:

algebra to be a garbage man?------------------------no
biology to be a plummer?------------------------------ 'fraid not
foreign language to be a stay at home parent?------ yet again, no.

basically, i think that just because you have a big "school education" does not mean you have a good education that will help you in the REAL WORLD. As I meet up with ppl I graduated with last spring, many of them seem to have realized that the hard way.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:53 am
azrael the reaper
you can be taught tons of math, science, history, etc, but in the end will any of this information help you to do something with your life. I know plenty of ppl who did just fine in all kinds of subjects, but chose to be a parent. another person was in the to 5% in my graduating class. know what he is going to do? he's gonna be a farmer! I also know someone else with tons of scholarships to go whereever they want, and are using them to get high education because they really have no idea WHAT they want to do with their lives......

think like this:

algebra to be a garbage man?------------------------no
biology to be a plummer?------------------------------ 'fraid not
foreign language to be a stay at home parent?------ yet again, no.

basically, i think that just because you have a big "school education" does not mean you have a good education that will help you in the REAL WORLD. As I meet up with ppl I graduated with last spring, many of them seem to have realized that the hard way.

I've heard of people getting out of school and being 'over educated' for doing what it is they want to do, and thus have a hard time finding a job in the field they want. I have known many people with psychology degrees for example, who work in bookstores who have found they simply cant do with their degree what it is they wanted to do for various reasons... such as inability to further their education to the next highest degree, or the market for such a field just isnt big enough.. or there at all.. in the city or region the person lives. one would think in that case.. well ok.. just move then.. but it's not always that easy.

with the possible exception of college (and in some cases even there) we are made to take classes that will ultimately have no bearing on what it is we *know* we want to do afterwards. everyone has the same basis. and some people are simply quicker to catch on to the ideas of the various classes and will be in the top 5%.. even if they know they want to be a farmer or a housewife and stay-at-home mom.  

Calypsophia

wishingstar41

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:40 am
educated doenst only mean youve finished college. school isnt always the basis of being educated.some,i mean,a lot of college graduates get lost after their school.

the word "educated" if u ask me is about understanding the things around you , being openminded, having wisdom,knowledge and applying it to everything you do  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:38 am
wishingstar41
educated doenst only mean youve finished college. school isnt always the basis of being educated.some,i mean,a lot of college graduates get lost after their school.

the word "educated" if u ask me is about understanding the things around you , being openminded, having wisdom,knowledge and applying it to everything you do

being educated and being openminded or wise arent necessarily the same thing. I've known plenty of 'educated' people who dont have a lick of what we would call 'common sense'.  

Calypsophia

wishingstar41

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:05 pm
Calypsophia
wishingstar41

being educated and being openminded or wise arent necessarily the same thing. I've known plenty of 'educated' people who dont have a lick of what we would call 'common sense'.

yes,it is not. but,school, kind of controls your mind,where your mind only focuses on teachings,on what the teacher says,and your mind is fixed that whatever the teacher says is right which is ..not good. you have to be open to all sides of the story,to all possibilities. and what i mean is,education,wisdom and openmindedness is not the same but they are connected.

and about common sense,that's why we have to be openminded.. to get the sense of a certain "thing"  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:01 am
they should be sure you know the conventional answers, but should promote you to be open to alternative answers. in my experience, their answers are only correct until they end up proven wrong. i have been taught many things in earlier grades that were later taught to us to be incorrect later on in higher grades.
for example: negative numbers. in elementary, THERE WERE ABSOLUTLY NO NUMBERS BELOW ZERO!!!! but guess what? WRONG!!! so then, basically they waisted their time and mine getting it into my skull that there were no numbers below zero. I myself already knew there were, but i was in trouble if i argued that there were. not my fault if they are not ready to teach it to my classmates, but if i know about them, dont punish me........
that is fairly simple example, but you get the picture.  

azrael the reaper_95210

Andromeda Zreng

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:37 am
I have no idea where my head was at...

A person who is educated has the ability to succeed in real life.

but if my heart says I'm sorry, can we leave it at that?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:56 am
Education is the gathering of knowledge that allows a person to become successful in society. However, education should not be comfused with wisdom. Having the knowledge is education. Applying said knowledge is wisdom.  

King Robert Silvermyst

sharte11

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:18 pm
if they know how to apply what they have learned in school or in their own experiences in life., biggrin heart  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff