Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lalou Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:54 am
Pantomime13
h1dd3nph34r
why do we exist? not what is the meaning of life, but why do humans live on this world, in this time? why not twenty, thirty, fifty, or even a hundred years form now? why now? what is the reason for why we exist.
i'll not launch a meaningless idea at you that will drive you away, but simply invite you to think of something yourself.

if anyone thinks to say 'to live life to it's fullest potential', or anything along those lines, please don't. this is not the meaning of life, but the reason life is there to have a reason. think about it long and hard before you post.

You know its funny how we ponder this in our existences yet our answers don't bring about the reasoning to that question. I wonder the same thing, but in my opinion our existences seem to relate to that question. We search for the answers to those questions, but end up coming empty handed or seem to put that our reasoning of existence is due to what we were made to do in our own minds. We were born for a reason. Not to only carry on our families name, but somehow we are given something that some people may not have at all. In my overall general opinion to simply put i think we exist to carry out what has been generated in our genetic codes to do that have been passed down from our generations, but in a sense bring about our own type of world and/or universe to live in in which we make ourselves. No matter what though the question of our existence will be the forever adventure.

Which brings us to another interesting question: Why do we question why we exist?

I think a lot of that has to do with our awareness of our own mortality. Most other sentient beings aren't aware of death beyond the instinct for self-preservation, but we know that we will end up dying and so wonder what the point is of doing anything beyond surviving and reproducing if it's all just going to disappear. I guess that's why Socrates(Plato) determined that philosophy is just the preparation for death!  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:15 pm
in short, I think we question it because we can. our minds are set up to question and wonder.  

Calypsophia

FF Turk_Panto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:51 pm
and to continue Calypsophia's statement the question of our existence will be the forever question.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:03 am
Netjer and Us

I believe, as do a few others, that God (Netjer) does not NEED us. But instead that we enhance God's existance. We make our own purposes and devote ourselves to our ideals. It is that diversity that God (Netjer) is interested in.  

King Robert Silvermyst

Verderbnis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:56 pm
Calypsophia
ok, here is what I believe.

I believe the entire sum total of the universe is god. and I believe that all life (humans, plants, animals, fish, insects, bacteria) is how the universe experiences itself. if 'god' (the universe) is conscious, then we are it's varying perspectives of that consciousness. and that, I believe, is why we are here.

it is also my opinion that this planet is living. what is life really? life is the process of beginning (birth), growth, and ending (death) which instigates transmutation into something else. when we die, our physical body goes back to the earth and fertilizes it. in these terms, even rocks are born and die (tho their life span is considerably longer). a rock is born when it becomes separated from the earth, eventually (many thousands of years) it will be changed and reduced by wind or water until it is no longer a rock, but sand.. thus the death of the rock and birth of sand. so if the universe what's to experience itself as a rock, or a crystal, or anything that exists, the potential for such a thing to appear will exist. not that the universe itself has it's own consciousness as to say "I want to know what life as a rock feels like", it's just the only way human language as I know it can convey such a concept as to be understood.

To a bigger part your statement would cover with the scientific theory, the universe being somekind of supercomputer: The universe contains different chemical elements, like Hydrogene, Oxygene and all that stuff. They all have their own weight and their own vibration, so if the universe "thinks" the vibrations may be taken as neural impulses with an incredible workspace. Basically this universe may be a "thinking" being, producing various "prototypes" of environments or even living beings and testing them with various events, like further evolution or extincting the "specimen". The sole purpose of it remains unknown, I'd just say "42", because there are things which simply don't make sense.

And to the other point the earth being a living thing: It doesn't really meet my opinion. I could take everything being born, living and dying, for example a car: It's born in a facility, lives by driving, and dies on a junkyard. Following this logic everything could be a living being, a computer, whatever. But they are mostly just simple things.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:19 pm
If then we are the only beings that are able to think abstractly, Then why is there some form of morality or moral standard in which we hold to. Why then when two people are arguing that most of a time, a person is trying to justify their actions instead of just saying "too bad for your standard I don't have to live up to it"? This doesn't really exactly say why we are here, but I think it adds another facet to the problem. Why are we the only beings(as far as we know) to hold to some sort of a higher moral standard than than just self-preservation? Where could that standard come from?
Benjamin  

Card_King1

azrael the reaper_95210

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:00 pm
Card_King1
If then we are the only beings that are able to think abstractly, Then why is there some form of morality or moral standard in which we hold to. Why then when two people are arguing that most of a time, a person is trying to justify their actions instead of just saying "too bad for your standard I don't have to live up to it"? This doesn't really exactly say why we are here, but I think it adds another facet to the problem. Why are we the only beings(as far as we know) to hold to some sort of a higher moral standard than than just self-preservation? Where could that standard come from?
Benjamin

our human species is not intellegent enough to fully communicate with other species of animals. For this reason, we have no idea if any others have such a standard.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:07 am
Nurge
Calypsophia
ok, here is what I believe.

I believe the entire sum total of the universe is god. and I believe that all life (humans, plants, animals, fish, insects, bacteria) is how the universe experiences itself. if 'god' (the universe) is conscious, then we are it's varying perspectives of that consciousness. and that, I believe, is why we are here.

it is also my opinion that this planet is living. what is life really? life is the process of beginning (birth), growth, and ending (death) which instigates transmutation into something else. when we die, our physical body goes back to the earth and fertilizes it. in these terms, even rocks are born and die (tho their life span is considerably longer). a rock is born when it becomes separated from the earth, eventually (many thousands of years) it will be changed and reduced by wind or water until it is no longer a rock, but sand.. thus the death of the rock and birth of sand. so if the universe what's to experience itself as a rock, or a crystal, or anything that exists, the potential for such a thing to appear will exist. not that the universe itself has it's own consciousness as to say "I want to know what life as a rock feels like", it's just the only way human language as I know it can convey such a concept as to be understood.

To a bigger part your statement would cover with the scientific theory, the universe being somekind of supercomputer: The universe contains different chemical elements, like Hydrogene, Oxygene and all that stuff. They all have their own weight and their own vibration, so if the universe "thinks" the vibrations may be taken as neural impulses with an incredible workspace. Basically this universe may be a "thinking" being, producing various "prototypes" of environments or even living beings and testing them with various events, like further evolution or extincting the "specimen". The sole purpose of it remains unknown, I'd just say "42", because there are things which simply don't make sense.

And to the other point the earth being a living thing: It doesn't really meet my opinion. I could take everything being born, living and dying, for example a car: It's born in a facility, lives by driving, and dies on a junkyard. Following this logic everything could be a living being, a computer, whatever. But they are mostly just simple things.

I didnt say that this universe I call 'god' actually 'thinks' tho. It's the ony way I could possibly describe my feelings on the matter. personally, I dont think it's conscious. from a scientific perspective, the earth does 'breathe'.

a living thing is something that is born into existence, is ultimately self sustaining (beating heart, breathing, obtaining it's own nutrition and sustinence), and dies. therefore, a car wouldnt quite fit the bill.  

Calypsophia

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:10 am
Lalou Rockstar
Pantomime13
h1dd3nph34r
why do we exist? not what is the meaning of life, but why do humans live on this world, in this time? why not twenty, thirty, fifty, or even a hundred years form now? why now? what is the reason for why we exist.
i'll not launch a meaningless idea at you that will drive you away, but simply invite you to think of something yourself.

if anyone thinks to say 'to live life to it's fullest potential', or anything along those lines, please don't. this is not the meaning of life, but the reason life is there to have a reason. think about it long and hard before you post.

You know its funny how we ponder this in our existences yet our answers don't bring about the reasoning to that question. I wonder the same thing, but in my opinion our existences seem to relate to that question. We search for the answers to those questions, but end up coming empty handed or seem to put that our reasoning of existence is due to what we were made to do in our own minds. We were born for a reason. Not to only carry on our families name, but somehow we are given something that some people may not have at all. In my overall general opinion to simply put i think we exist to carry out what has been generated in our genetic codes to do that have been passed down from our generations, but in a sense bring about our own type of world and/or universe to live in in which we make ourselves. No matter what though the question of our existence will be the forever adventure.

Which brings us to another interesting question: Why do we question why we exist?

I think a lot of that has to do with our awareness of our own mortality. Most other sentient beings aren't aware of death beyond the instinct for self-preservation, but we know that we will end up dying and so wonder what the point is of doing anything beyond surviving and reproducing if it's all just going to disappear. I guess that's why Socrates(Plato) determined that philosophy is just the preparation for death!

I think you're right in that. also some people want a reason to justify being born into a world of hardship and pain. but mostly, I think we question it simply because we can.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:54 am
Card_King1
Benjamin

We follow moral codes because we made up moral codes to follow. There is no separate entity called morality that rules over us. Morality exists only in our heads.  

Kachan36

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:47 pm
Card_King1
Benjamin

because the worlds major religions deem humanity above nature.. in that if our only moral standard was self-preservation, we'd be no better than the 'stupid animals' that share this planet (I personally dont think they're stupid, but that's pretty much the mindset).

I agree however, with another poster here that said morality is in our heads.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:29 am
h1dd3nph34r

I've thought of my own life and then others in the same way and the closest conclusion I can come 2 is that some1 needed 2 take the job. We will exist in the future but it will be others and if it was us then those in our place they would be asking the same question and if we were in a different time or place then we would not be the same person, we would just have the same DNA. I have this theory were if some1 was 2 go back in time and change anything then we would not be the same person unless we chosed 2 be associtated with that other version. I'm still working on the theory ask me questions if ur confused or want 2 know more.  

hazel843

hazel843

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:43 am
azrael the reaper
Card_King1
Benjamin

our human species is not intellegent enough to fully communicate with other species of animals. For this reason, we have no idea if any others have such a standard.

Wat r u talking about? We communicate 2 other species and we r still trying 2 find out more about them and ask how they see things  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:14 pm
hazel843
azrael the reaper
Card_King1
Benjamin

Wat r u talking about? We communicate 2 other species and we r still trying 2 find out more about them and ask how they see things

since when do we fully communicate with other species?  

azrael the reaper_95210

Card_King1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:29 pm
Quote:

Morality exists only in our heads

Hmm I don't really understand. Why would a person care for someone else even when its to its own hurt. Why then is Loyalty considered a virtue in all societies, even third world peoples that have never been exposed to any other civilization?
Benjamin  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces