Sparkly Sex Symbol

7,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:42 am
IamredMage
Driinex_the_Flower_Child
Alrighty then. I'm Dutch, so this whole English or American thing is really strange. I spell some words the English way and I spell some the American way. Frankly I don't think it matters wether you spell it colour or color. It all depends on if you're writing a paper, or a letter to a friend, or a book or story. Take it from someone on the gray end of the black and white spectrum. IT DOES NOT MATTER. IT MEANS THE SAME EXACT FROGGING THING. There. I've said my peice and I'm leaving now.

Yeah, but sometimes (excuse me whilst I slip this amazing phraze in again somewhere...), in american context, English becomes so butchered (Oh, yeah, I knew I'd find a place for it somewhere...) that to a person who's taught english english from a young age, it becomes almost unrecognisable. You should have seen me the first time I heard an american refer to something as 'in back of' something else. My brain hurt for weeks...

I think you may be confusing American with Southern dialect. Forgive me for saying this, but people from places like Louisiana and Mississippi and Georgia say things totally different than people would in New York, Montana, Texas, or California. Believe me, I know. I'm a grad student with a major in foreign languages. And coming from Holland, everything sounds slightly weird from the version of English I was taught. But as far as I know, only uneducated people, not Americans, refer to things as 'in back of'. And feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, which I'm sure you are going to try to do anyway, but isn't the whole 'ae' spelling originally Latin in the first place? In my opinion, the American way to spell certian words is a lot simpler. Except for theatre. I like spelling it that way.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:38 am
Driinex_the_Flower_Child
IamredMage
Driinex_the_Flower_Child
Alrighty then. I'm Dutch, so this whole English or American thing is really strange. I spell some words the English way and I spell some the American way. Frankly I don't think it matters wether you spell it colour or color. It all depends on if you're writing a paper, or a letter to a friend, or a book or story. Take it from someone on the gray end of the black and white spectrum. IT DOES NOT MATTER. IT MEANS THE SAME EXACT FROGGING THING. There. I've said my peice and I'm leaving now.

Yeah, but sometimes (excuse me whilst I slip this amazing phraze in again somewhere...), in american context, English becomes so butchered (Oh, yeah, I knew I'd find a place for it somewhere...) that to a person who's taught english english from a young age, it becomes almost unrecognisable. You should have seen me the first time I heard an american refer to something as 'in back of' something else. My brain hurt for weeks...

I think you may be confusing American with Southern dialect. Forgive me for saying this, but people from places like Louisiana and Mississippi and Georgia say things totally different than people would in New York, Montana, Texas, or California. Believe me, I know. I'm a grad student with a major in foreign languages. And coming from Holland, everything sounds slightly weird from the version of English I was taught. But as far as I know, only uneducated people, not Americans, refer to things as 'in back of'. And feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, which I'm sure you are going to try to do anyway, but isn't the whole 'ae' spelling originally Latin in the first place? In my opinion, the American way to spell certian words is a lot simpler. Except for theatre. I like spelling it that way.

Most english spellings are originated from the french - the most prevalent language in renaissance european society. It always seems to me like the americans attempted to 'de-french' the language, although the whole american political system is based on the ideals of the french republic.  

IamredMage

SavingPollyOliver

Sparkly Sex Symbol

7,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:38 am
IamredMage
Driinex_the_Flower_Child
IamredMage
Driinex_the_Flower_Child

Most english spellings are originated from the french - the most prevalent language in renaissance european society. It always seems to me like the americans attempted to 'de-french' the language, although the whole american political system is based on the ideals of the french republic.

Finally we agree on something. But the American is slightly easier to deal with. I think this whole problem started around WWI time when the cultures decided to throw back in with each other and we realized that, somehow, the Americans had changed everything slightly. And you have to take into consideration that America is the place where all cultures blend. Some words have gotten changed or lost in the process. So I don't really think it's the American's fault that they can't spell the old words properly.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:23 am
yeah - and most non - UK english speaking countries, because of their origins as part of the british empire, are like a melting pot of cultures. For instance, in Canada, most words are spelt in the british form because Canada was first colonised by the french, and therefore the french language's influence remains. I understand also that in french canada, some words are spelt differently from the original european form.  

IamredMage

SavingPollyOliver

Sparkly Sex Symbol

7,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:46 am
You see? It's not just the Americans. The entire English speaking world garbles the old language. And it's true about the Canadian spellings of words. I guess since we've ... decided it's not the American's fault that they don't spell the same as you or I do, we can stop arguing?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:04 am
Since when were we arguing?  

IamredMage

SavingPollyOliver

Sparkly Sex Symbol

7,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:46 am
sweatdrop Oh, yeah. I forgot that we had resolved the argument earlier. Sorry. Hope you had a Happy Christmas.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:09 pm
It was great, actually, thankyou. And you.  

IamredMage

SavingPollyOliver

Sparkly Sex Symbol

7,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:19 pm
It was actually pretty nice. And Happy New Year. Wow. I haven't posted here in a while  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:41 am
everyone just be happy we (english, american, austrailian) still sound somewhat alike. We can still understand one another, rather than having to learn whole other languages (spainish, french, japanese, etc.)

(( on a side note, I just thought of something. I bet Spain and Mexico have the same deal between them......... similar but different languages.......))  

azrael the reaper_95210

Tus Ojos Oscuros..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:02 pm
azrael the reaper

(( on a side note, I just thought of something. I bet Spain and Mexico have the same deal between them......... similar but different languages.......))

we do.
we also have pernounciation differences..
we have the ceceo/seseo, whereas in south america, they do not..
and we have a differernt verb form/ vosotros..
different words..

=O;;
i can say, that I like the British way of spelling..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:10 am
meleny7
wow thats insane i just thought we spelled like two words differently. sweatdrop

Well, what about:

Candy.............Sweets
Cookies.............Biscuits

Those are most indifferent.  

Chipmint

GirlPuck

Dedicated Hoarder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:54 am
Heh... I hadn't realized how many differences there really were, for the most part I use the British spelling (I live in Newfoundland, Canada so that's the accepted way anyhow).

We use a lot of completely different words here too, we've even got our own dictionary! For instance:

crooked --- bad tempered
daps ------ alike
duckish --- twilight
elt --------- scoundrel
hes -------- his
jinker ----- unlucky person
mauzy ---- foggy
rumper --- turnip or rutabaga
sleeveen - rascal
streel ----- untidy person
tissy ------ to be angry
touton ---- fried bread dough
upalong -- from away
vamp ----- mend (or part of a stocking)

Of course, I think half the reason some of those words exist is because so many people from coastal communities have thick accents, and that's what the words sounded like when they spoke, so they changed them... doesn't really explain stuff like mauzy or sleeveen though sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:34 am
Kind of a dusty topic... but oh well.

GirlPuck
We use a lot of completely different words here too, we've even got our own dictionary! For instance:

Haha, that's really cool. I live in Australia and we have words from both America and Britain... We go by English English spellings, for obvious reasons (originally an British colony), but we're usually used to both. We use cookies more than biscuits, but otherwise we'll usually use the English English word. We can get away with writing 'ize' instead of 'ise' at the ends of words, and both are accepted in essays and so on.

But that's probably the only spelling they don't mind much... using 'color' instead of 'colour' would probably be corrected... but I guess it depends on the pickiness of the teacher. But technically it should be spelt 'colour' here.

I usually write color when on the internet, just because most people I encounter are American, and it's easier, spell-check-wise.

Woah, long post.  

snuffpot

3,450 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
"FLC" Foreign Languages and Cultures

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers