Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §
Atheism is NOOOOOOOT a religion!! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:00 am
Dolix Pullo
Calypsophia
actually, I think she was arguing a point *for* atheism. atheists hate having their absence of belief called 'religious'. and just because philip pullman (author of Golden Compass) is an atheist, doesnt mean his story is 'anti' god. I think these were her points. regardless what *some* christians may get out of it, doesnt mean that's what's there. people often read too much into things. and if someone is looking for something to be offended by, they will find it.

so what there is no proof, there is no harm in what she believes.
uh...i'm...a guy...!

whoops! sorry! redface  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:25 am
User Image
I don't know how someone could ever get the idea to see atheism as a religion?

People forget that beliefs also define a way of living, so christian people are often kept busy by letting them run into the church and pray to every second purpose. Rituals are not needed if you're atheist, you keep yourself busy with other things you think off they're necessary!

Of course, you're still allowed to be spiritual. Spiritualism doesn't belong automatically to religion.

I for myself find peace in listening to music and a good song also puts me into a meditative stage, but I don't need a religion dictating my way of life.
User Image  

Verderbnis

Intelife

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:09 am
Calypsophia
Muckluck7
Atheism is not a religion in the fact that it is not organized into meetings. It is a religion in that there is a large number of people who all believe in the same thing.

"believe in the same thing" I think is the wrong choice of words considering they dont believe in anything science cannot prove. and if science can prove it, it's not belief but fact. religion relies on faith. you dont need to have faith in anything that is universally true and empirically proven. if anything, they are joined together by their lack of belief but not at all in a religious sense. smile

atheism is not a group of people who only believe in fact. it is simply a word used to describe those who agree on a few ideas, not that science is the only truth. there is more theory and guess-work put into atheism than in most religions. atheists do not gather and discuss these particular abstractions, nor do they only trust what is plausible and provable. they simply refuse to conform to a religion because of lack of time, will, or boredom necessary. however it's looked at, an atheist is simply a person with no desire to participate in religious activities. if someone declares themselves an atheist, then proceeds to argue against every religion, then they must be disillusioned. they simply don't want to have to argue against the same evidence that the are using.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:28 pm
h1dd3nph34r
Calypsophia
Muckluck7
Atheism is not a religion in the fact that it is not organized into meetings. It is a religion in that there is a large number of people who all believe in the same thing.

"believe in the same thing" I think is the wrong choice of words considering they dont believe in anything science cannot prove. and if science can prove it, it's not belief but fact. religion relies on faith. you dont need to have faith in anything that is universally true and empirically proven. if anything, they are joined together by their lack of belief but not at all in a religious sense. smile

atheism is not a group of people who only believe in fact. it is simply a word used to describe those who agree on a few ideas, not that science is the only truth. there is more theory and guess-work put into atheism than in most religions. atheists do not gather and discuss these particular abstractions, nor do they only trust what is plausible and provable. they simply refuse to conform to a religion because of lack of time, will, or boredom necessary. however it's looked at, an atheist is simply a person with no desire to participate in religious activities. if someone declares themselves an atheist, then proceeds to argue against every religion, then they must be disillusioned. they simply don't want to have to argue against the same evidence that the are using.

I'm sorry, but the only thing you said that is absolutely correct is the fact that atheists do not congregate. but one can believe in jesus and not want to participate in church, conform to the guidelines of any particular christian denomination, or because they are lazy. the core foundation of the atheist is *lack of belief* in deity. plain and simple. it has nothing to do with refusing to conform to religion for whatever reason. what they refuse to do, is acknowledge the existence of some spiritual entity that lords over the universe when there is no empirical proof for such a being. trust me, I have been and have known many.  

Calypsophia

DARK LORD49

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:20 pm
bump  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:58 am
It's called FICTION that's how. It's a story book ok. I don't see what all the hub ub is over these books and movies that talk about christianity in a negative (I'm one my self) Sure they're not that great but you don't see the CIA getting mad because of the Bourne series. IT'S JUST FICTION.  

BluePod

Kachan36

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:52 am
BluePod
It's called FICTION that's how. It's a story book ok. I don't see what all the hub ub is over these books and movies that talk about christianity in a negative (I'm one my self) Sure they're not that great but you don't see the CIA getting mad because of the Bourne series. IT'S JUST FICTION.

I agree. Philip Pullman may be an atheist, but he can spot a good story when he sees one. The Bible--apart from any religious connotation--tells a great story. Pullman simply borrowed some of the plot lines for his own story.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:09 pm
Dolix Pullo
A religion is an organised form of worship. Atheism is unorganised, and worships nothing. i stick my toungue out at you. Bleah. (no offense, i have a friend who's athiest.)

Also, I would like to point out that how can Philip Paulman want to kill God, if he doesn't believe in God. And, if God exists(He does!!), how can you kill a god?
kitty! >^.^<

You are right how Atheism is not a religion, but it is a belief. One can stand firm and say "I don't think there is a God", but yet have the concept of an afterlife in mind. I too have many friends who are atheists.

The whole concept of Philip Paulman wanting to kill God is truly an idiotic move on his part. Tis stupid for that man to say that.

On a further note for me God is a bit of a question mark. I think possibly a higher existence is in this world but at a standpoint i do think God is sometimes hard to believe (however i do respect others beliefs greatly). I think there is a heaven and a hell, but a limbo as well on top of that my beliefs are more philosophical.  

FF Turk_Panto

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:17 am
Pantomime13
Dolix Pullo
A religion is an organised form of worship. Atheism is unorganised, and worships nothing. i stick my toungue out at you. Bleah. (no offense, i have a friend who's athiest.)

Also, I would like to point out that how can Philip Paulman want to kill God, if he doesn't believe in God. And, if God exists(He does!!), how can you kill a god?
kitty! >^.^<

You are right how Atheism is not a religion, but it is a belief. One can stand firm and say "I don't think there is a God", but yet have the concept of an afterlife in mind. I too have many friends who are atheists.

The whole concept of Philip Paulman wanting to kill God is truly an idiotic move on his part. Tis stupid for that man to say that.

On a further note for me God is a bit of a question mark. I think possibly a higher existence is in this world but at a standpoint i do think God is sometimes hard to believe (however i do respect others beliefs greatly). I think there is a heaven and a hell, but a limbo as well on top of that my beliefs are more philosophical.

with the exception of buddhists (and even some of them!), all of the atheists I've known (which is extensive) believe the only thing that happens to us after we die is we become worm food.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:06 pm
Calypsophia
Pantomime13
Dolix Pullo

kitty! >^.^<

with the exception of buddhists (and even some of them!), all of the atheists I've known (which is extensive) believe the only thing that happens to us after we die is we become worm food.

haha the funny thing is I'm part Buddhist lol  

FF Turk_Panto

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:05 am
Pantomime13
Calypsophia
Pantomime13
Dolix Pullo

kitty! >^.^<

ya know funny enough, in many Asian countries, buddhism has taken on the pantheon of gods known to those regions before buddhism arrived. even the bodhisatvas are prayed to. it's really only in America and other western countries that this isnt so. I've done a bit of reading on the history and various traditions of buddhism. also I never could understand how on one hand the buddha proclaimed that underlying reality is no-self or emptiness, yet on the other while he sat meditating under the tree he remembered 300+ past lives.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:38 pm
Yay religion my favorite thing to get people angry about.

Atheism isn't a religion it is a thought. there are two kinds that i can think of right now, one being a person that needs proof be for they ever consider there being someone or thing out there that is god like; and two being even if faceing god they would not belive him god. Their is always the controversal question around them and that many others ask (i am agnostic go look in a dictionary if you don't know what it is) If god is out there what made him and if some one did who made them, and it keeps going like that.

Edit:
Many dont know what the diffrence between agnostic and atheism  

Insane King Wasabi

Invisible Lunatic

6,275 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:29 am
it's basically the difference between thinking you *know* there is no god (atheist view) and knowing that god is unknowable (agnostic view).  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:38 am
"A belief that there are no gods. Greek "a-theos": without-god."
(source)

Plain and simple.

And how can you kill god if you don't believe? Kill the concept, because that's where/how god exists.  

Lalou Rockstar

azrael the reaper_95210

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:38 am
Pantomime13
Calypsophia
Pantomime13
Dolix Pullo

kitty! >^.^<

??? part buddhist ???  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas