Reply "PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §
Religous mocking Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SilentSong32

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:49 pm
I don't have much of a problem with that. I am Catholic and have friends who are Hindu, Agonistic, Christian, Wicken, and some who are Athists yet we can all calmly and logically discuss such topics with not big outrage. Just a healthy debate and sharing of views.

Although there are some people who may poke fun at it. I think it is a test of sorts. For example, if someone believes something you don't usually one would pick the other's brain to know their reasons or if they are just hypocrites. So if they ask, perhaps they are just looking for reasons to sort through their own choices and confusion between them.

Besides, it's only natural to need to know the opposite view point in order to better know your own. It's like psychology how one point of it states that with a good thought there must be an equal knowlege of the bad. After all, how can you know what's good if you don't know what is considered bad?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:03 pm
I don't necessarily hate people who mock other religions than their own, beacuse hate is a really strong word. But I will say that I have a very strong dislike to people who do that. I'm Wiccan, a converter from Christianity. Even though I didn't like some view points of the religion, you don't see me running around screaming "Jesus sucks" or something like that. I still have the courtesy to respect Him and even capitalize the name. I respect all religions, no matter what they practice and believe. I wish other people were as understanding....  

Kyakume

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:40 pm
I'm not gonna lie, I love me some lolJesus. I just personally have a great disdain for religion, and I've found there are some amusing aspects.

However, as much as I love making a mockery of religion, I don't make fun of (most of the) people. I respect most people regardless of their religion, and therefore I try not to do anything overtly offensive to them in their presence.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:36 pm
xXSerial ExperimentXx
Yes, making fun of another religion is a ignorant and cruel thing to do.
However, be careful of what you classify as "making fun".

Although most religions have good basic messages, many religions have rules and writings that can be dangerous when taken out of context. This creates extremists. Complaining or speaking against an extremist (or someone who takes their religion too far[ ex. to the point of hurting someone]), is actually a good thing. Speaking out against someone who is using religion as an excuse to hurt someone should be told to stop. So in that respect, speaking out against that person is the right thing to do. Other then that, there is no good reason to fight against someone over religion.

Although I have seen no one in this thread that is an extremist, I thought I should just put that out there for future reference. biggrin

I totally agree. I have no problem with the fact that people out there have many different beliefs. It's just when they try to push it on me. Or if they try to bring religion into every single topic. I usually try to diffuse the situation, but if things get bad enough, I admit I will attack them. Not for believing in what they believe in, but for trying to push it on me.

One time in grade school, during science lecture, we were discussing the Big Bang. I'm sitting there, listening intently because it is what I believe. Then this boy that always got on my nerves pipes up: "People that don't believe in God are stupid." I sat there, almost in tears. But he got what he deserved... the teacher read him the riot act.

I've never really had anyone make fun of me for being Athiest, but I did get some strange looks from some close friends when I admitted it in class one day. I sat there thinking, 'wow, they really couldn't tell?'  

Deppfan

Ophelianime

Chatty Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:42 pm
What I don't get is why every other religion is okay but CHRISTIANITY!!! scream  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:37 pm
Ophelianime

same reason why its only sexist if done by as guy, or only racist if done by a white...... white male christians are the biggest targets out there... we cant do anything without accusations against us.  

azrael the reaper_95210

Tarantellatears

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:22 pm
In my opinion, people who make fun of other religions are simply ignorant. I think most people who have a religion deal with mocking or persecution. It's just ignorance, nothing to get in a tizzy over, it will come, and it will go. hose who mock should expect to be mocked in my mind - no one can stay on top forever.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:48 am
THIS IS NOT A FLAME!!! I've found from a great many theological discussions (till i'm blue in the face, my ears are bleeding, and I've been thrice damned to hell) that religion as a general term is a wonderful theory as a practice...ehh not so much. That is just my cynical outlook. Prime your flamethrowers if you want, that's just the way I see it and no amount of napalm is going to change that. I myself am agnostic. There are many things of which I have no understanding, Divinity being one of them.  

SinginginSilence

Sweetaznbebe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:17 am
User Image

I don't have any beliefs actually but, a teacher making fun of your beliefs? Damn, I should punch him in the face. Did you tell the principle about this? (:

User Image

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:14 am
I say it's Blasphemy... just defend your spiritual integrity because the truth is many still mock God and so in every action there is an equivalent consequence. wink  

Lokhen

Verderbnis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:40 am
Ophelianime

It's quite an associated sample to explain the violent history of religions, only the least people still remind the first genocide in the last century, where turkish troops killed thousands of armenian christs, most people pick on the closest sample: the concentration camps during the 3rd Reich!  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:24 pm
I'm not into making fun of religions.
Unless it's scientology.
Yes, I am that much of a jerk.  

Mad Haru

Charlie Dodo

4,750 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:01 pm
I will never mock a person's faith, though I see nothing wrong with mocking the trappings of their religion. There is a big difference between Monty Python's "All Things Dull and Ugly", which is a parody of "All things Bright and Beautiful", and basically saying that people are stupid because they have a certain faith, or lack of faith. For a teacher to do so is unforgivable and should be grounds for dismissal.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:12 pm
the way i see it, I will believe what believe, and you can believe what you believe. I am but a single human being, so which, if either of us, are correct? We shall not know until after our death.

I am christian. lets say i met a hindu.

now, if im wrong and they are right, thats one thing.

but if that happened and I convinced them i was right, then now we are both wrong, and ive just scewed us both over.

so id rather i was wrong, than to be wrong and to have convinced many others to believe as i did.  

azrael the reaper_95210

madchen_blindes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:46 am
As a teacher myself, it's inexcusable for one in our position to attempt to make a child feel as though they are lesser or embarrassed for any reason. While I do have theological discussions with some of my students, this is done outside of class time. It is never done in an antagonistic or prejudiced manner. I teach respect for everything and everyone, even those you might not agree with.  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff