Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Nusary Songs and rhyms. What do you think? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think about them?
  They're okay.
  They're twisted.
  I don't really care.
View Results

Rae401

4,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:32 am
Grimm's Fairy Tales can be really strange. Some of them have horribly gresome deaths (e.g. the witch in hansel and gretel) and some are just strange (in rapunzel, the prince climbs up, they instantly fall in love, and have a year later she has his kid). I love lullabies, but some can be twisted, like rockabye baby, or ringaround the rosie.

I still like the tunes, though. xd

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:33 am
Do you all know why "ring around the rosey" was made?

It was because of the black plague in England. Scarry how a child's song could be so gross.  

LunaMaeMoon

Tamwynne the elven

6,000 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:10 am
I like the one about Bloody Mary...

Mary, Mary, quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells, and cockle shells,
And pretty maids all in a row

Apparently its about how she torutred the Prostants durring her reign,  
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:28 pm
Do you all seriously not understand that they were made creepy like that on purpose... to scare children into behaving? Like the boogey-man or things like that.

Also... Ring Around the Rosies...
It was written about the Black Plague, but not during it. The "rosies" reference the rose-red rings that appeared as a tell-tale sign of infection, in the delicate parts of the anaotomy...armpits, neck, face, the bends of your knees, your very inner legs, etc. Not rose colored spots with white rings around them, as someone mentioned earlier. The pocketful of posies came from the fact that people would carry them, breathing through a handful, instead of breathing in the contaminated air that reeked of death and decay. And there were so many people dieing and being cremated that the skies would become gray with falling ashes, often causing breathing problems.  

Deppfan

Nilly Tsegrah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:24 am
maddog012
it is rediculus how parents don't tell their kids the meanings of them before they teach them to the kids. nursery rhymes are for creeps who like mice heads on their porch to eat for breakfast and the war stories of people of any culture, religeon, and country dying. plages and the depression should be poems about how people felt and the horror they went through for teens to recite in history class not for little children to learn about by accident in jolly little songs and games. the nerve of some people.

And then people wonder why the Brothers Grimm fairy tales got dumbed down so much. rolleyes Because of people like you who think children shouldn't be exposed. The stories were meant to scare children to behave. D'oh.

I still don't know the origin of One, two Buckle my Shoe though.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Nilly Tsegrah
maddog012
it is rediculus how parents don't tell their kids the meanings of them before they teach them to the kids. nursery rhymes are for creeps who like mice heads on their porch to eat for breakfast and the war stories of people of any culture, religeon, and country dying. plages and the depression should be poems about how people felt and the horror they went through for teens to recite in history class not for little children to learn about by accident in jolly little songs and games. the nerve of some people.

And then people wonder why the Brothers Grimm fairy tales got dumbed down so much. rolleyes Because of people like you who think children shouldn't be exposed. The stories were meant to scare children to behave. D'oh.

I still don't know the origin of One, two Buckle my Shoe though.

There is none. It's just a rhyme to help learn how to count.  

Deppfan

PelicanBlack

Dapper Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm
I love nursery rhymes.
They were used to scare children back in the day, but nowadays they're the candy-coated songs that the toy companies make baby dolls sing when you squeeze them.
I like them as they were meant to be.
Scary.
A warning spun into a little rhyme that you won't forget.
I like creepy stuff.
As for children learning them, it's not messed up.
Parents pass them on now, not to scare their kids into behaving, but as just little songs them and their kids can sing while they play with dolls.
The kids are unaware, and, through time, the rhymes lost their meanings to everyone anyway.
And, no matter how twisted you think it is, nursery rhymes will be around forever.
Get over it.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:45 pm
sometimes rhymes are good like for teahcing kids about snakes
like i think it goes
red and yellow kill a fellow
Red and black somethingsomething

for how to tell if it's a coral or a ring snake i think it was  

ggem3

8,700 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nudist Colony 200