Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Abortion? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Abortion?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Zzyli

Prismatic Unicorn

76,950 Points
  • Fairy bread fancier 500
  • Just A Regular User 500
  • Wing Mastery 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:16 am
Personally, I am against abortion. People talk about the woman's choice in the situation. I think about this unborn child who has no choice in the matter at all. I think that it is all the more important to speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. In my opinion, this child has as much right to a chance at life as anyone else who lives on this earth, whether they were 'an accident', a result of rape or incest, or even going to be severely disabled. I have friends who were 'unintended', adopted and an absolutely gorgeous friend who is mentally disabled. How do people have the right to end someone else's life without even giving them a chance? You don't know what kind of effect someone will have on the world before they are born. They may not necessarily end world hunger or discover a cure for cancer, but they could make a very big difference in the lives of people around them.

The only time I would even consider an exception to this rule, and incredibly reluctantly would be in situations where the birth was probably going to kill both the mother and the child, and in our countries with excellent health care, this is an almost unheard of situation.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:11 am
Well I'm personally against abortion. It's the slaughter of something that can't even defend itself. As some people (not talking about only here) say that if the baby isn't fully developed and born it's just an embryo/fetus or w/e but I think it's still a person. It has life in it and nobody should have the right to take life away from a baby. As I already said it's just slaughter...  

Emo Cloud of Doom

babipari

8,300 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:37 am
abortion is murder!!!!!!!
enough emo s**t, come get avi art!!!
free avi art  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:53 pm
I am against abortion, except in those cases of rape (in which the woman did not have a choice) or when either the mother's or the child's life is in danger.
Other than that, I think that there is absolutely no excuse to have an abortion. There are countless contraception methods, most of which are very reliable, and abortion does NOT count as one, altough, unfortunately, many people seem the think so.
Of course there are accidents, and those are unfortunate, but they are still not an excuse to take a life. There are always alternatives. If a woman can't take care of the baby, there are plenty of people who desperately want a child. Otherwise, it's a waste of oportunities, not just for the potencial adoptive parents, but also for the whole world, because every person that is born is a gift.
As to the much debated "choice" that every woman has, well, I'm a woman, and I've made plenty choices in my life: I choose to use contraception when I have sex, and if that isn't possible, I choose not to have sex that might get me pregnant. I am aware of the risks - that's called responsability - and if I do get pregnant, that's where my power to choose ends, because I don't have the right to take an unborn child's life, just like I don't have the right to shoot you in the head. I can do it, sure enough, but I don't consider myself to be God and decide on the life or death of another.
So, it boils down to this: abortion is not contraception and if you can't handle responsability, then you probably shouldn't be having sex in the first place. It's not all fun and games.  

Morwen Blackfyre

Obsessive Shopper

17,425 Points
  • Novice Egg Hunter 50
  • Determined Egg Hunter 150
  • Unstoppable Egg Hunter 250

Blackhearted_Sean

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:43 pm
hm... I personally don't care either way, not in the sense of apathy, but rather it's all up to the one that's pregnant. Granted, I don't like the idea of using it as a birth control. But I also don't like the idea of forcing someone to do something they don't want to do.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:46 pm
I'm Pro-choice, I undersand your points, but at least it should be legal, and infact, I believe you should have to be over your states or countries "legal" age to have an abortion, b/c like some of you have said, it's not a birth control, not even close. But also, the baby should be aborted (if it's going to be) it should be done in the 1st trimester, not after then, they've had time to think about this... unless there is some kind of extreme condition found out (about the mother, not the baby) later in the pregnancy.

but at the same time, it's a nessicary evil to have the thing legal, cause' if it's not and the woman wants the adortion that bad, she'll find a way or try to get rid of the baby, most likely injureing herself and the baby, making their lives even worse.

also, this is going to sound really cruel but I believe that until the baby is in the 2nd trimester, it's not alive. Basicly it's a parasite, I know that sounds very cruel, but w/o the mother b4 that it's completly depedant on her, for food, even for blood. I know someone's probably gonna' be really angry about it, but that's just my opinion, you don't have to agree with it, it's just that the whole issue is very grey...  

eyes-the-jonin

o-OausflippenO-o

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:32 pm
Squirty_chan

I applaud you!

Morwen_2

I applaud you also!

Really, I think this is a sad issue more than anything. Abortion is so ingrained in society, that it won't ever be thrown out. It always makes me sad to hear about abortions because I know that that fetus/embryo was not just a lump in some woman's utyrus- it was a human being that was deprived of the constitutional right that we all have: The right to LIFE, liberty, and the pusuit of happiness. That baby had the potential to be a great human being who could have effected so many people's lives (I believe that everything and everyone you meet has an effect on you, no matter how small). Yes, when you look at it and only consider the mother it does lean more towards choice, but considering the child who is denied even the right to live should be enough to make you cry. And in the case of disabilities-- their existence is not only pain and suffering. Did you hear about the girl who lived her life on the iron lung? Yeah, I'll admit, that would be horrible, but she inspired so many people and was able to accomplish a good deal before her very unfortunate death. Also, I know a woman who has a son with down syndrome, and he is one of the most adorable children ever known. He is happy and sweet and just makes you want to stop what you're saying and go "aaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwww!!" But her doctors wanted her to abort him, and she refused. I'm glad she did, and I know she's glad she did.

"And that's all I've got to say about that." - Forrest Gump  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:21 pm
In addition to my earlier point (Abortion should only be used if the mother and child are in danger if the birth takes place at the due date. Or if the child has potential to have a serious, painful defect or disease if the birth takes place.)
I would like to point out that if some teenage girl wants to abort an innocent baby because she couldn't keep it in her pants, maybe someone should at least know. Because if you are a teenager having sex, then that's a huge problem there.

Rape is entirely different, but even so, are these women aware of how many families dearly want a child?  

Musik des Mondes

Hygienic Vampire

5,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200

Ouroboros95

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:06 am
the babies doesn't deserved to be aborted but it should be the parents who is responsible for that.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:17 am
eyes-the-jonin
also, this is going to sound really cruel but I believe that until the baby is in the 2nd trimester, it's not alive. Basicly it's a parasite, I know that sounds very cruel, but w/o the mother b4 that it's completly depedant on her, for food, even for blood. I know someone's probably gonna' be really angry about it, but that's just my opinion, you don't have to agree with it, it's just that the whole issue is very grey...

The question of "when does a fetus become a human being?" is a very delicate one, and it's one of the main points of discord.
I don't agree with you, because I personaly think that life begins in the process of fecundation. Without that step, the rest wouldn't be possible. It's just another stage of the human being's development. Would you consider a child less human than an adult, just because it isn't fully developed? Or is someone vegetating in a hospital bed, with organ failure, less worthy of living than someone who is healthy? I don't think so. You don't have to be a "full human" to have a right to live.
And please don't call a fetus "parasite". Just because it's dependant on the mother, doesn't make it a parasite, and that dependency doesn't go away after the first trimester. And after birth, a child is still dependant on at least 1 progenitor, and that will last until, say, 30 years old in some cases.
And besides, a 1st trimester fetus is not so helpless. It has already won 1 prize: 1st place in the race to fertilize the egg!!! rofl  

Morwen Blackfyre

Obsessive Shopper

17,425 Points
  • Novice Egg Hunter 50
  • Determined Egg Hunter 150
  • Unstoppable Egg Hunter 250

monkeyman2552

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:52 am
Musik des Mondes
In addition to my earlier point (Abortion should only be used if the mother and child are in danger if the birth takes place at the due date. Or if the child has potential to have a serious, painful defect or disease if the birth takes place.)
I would like to point out that if some teenage girl wants to abort an innocent baby because she couldn't keep it in her pants, maybe someone should at least know. Because if you are a teenager having sex, then that's a huge problem there.

Rape is entirely different, but even so, are these women aware of how many families dearly want a child?

Ok so your saying since there's a bunch of families who want to adopt, a woman who got impregnated by rape should go through even more pain and suffering so one of those families can have a kid.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:49 pm
My religion instructs me to believe that we only have one life. We can't be reincarnated. Why steal that one chance of life from an unborn child? This is going to sound stupid, but...

What if that baby was you?

My friends always say "It wouldn't matter because I wouldn't exist. If I don't exist, then I can't feel the bite of not being born or anything..."
I can't say whether or not they are right.

When I was in seventh grade, I found out that one of the eighth-graders was pregnant. Now I'm in ninth grade, and I'm hearing that having a baby ruined her future. But she was the one who chose to have sex.

I know my point above doesn't apply to girls who were raped. I think they should be able to choose whether or not they keep the baby, because even if they don't abort it, the child will have to live knowing that it was not planned. It was a mistake, or even now a hindrance.

I'm forced to say that I am pro-choice in the way that John McCain is. Against abortion unless it is a tender case such as rape, or threat to the life of the mother.  

DIFFERENT ACCOUNT NOW

SilentSong32

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:52 pm
I am against abortion. I would never have one. Although, in cases like rape, insest, and danger to the mother I could understand why a woman would have it don't, but I still wouldn't.
Many would claim 'but there are so many kids that need adopting already'. There is some truth to that. However, babies easily get adopted and it doesn't take long for a baby to find a home. It is the older kids who have trouble getting adopted and those kids are ones taken out of homes because of problems with the guardians and such.
Those who say that the fetus isn't really life and that the life of a baby doesn't start until its born. Have you ever taken biology class? Or looked at the characteristics of what is needed for something to be considered life?
Well, if one has then one would see that a fetus IS life. It has all the characteristics that is needed to be considered life.
The main problem with abortion is that women are beginning to use it as a form of birth control. If she had enough 'fun' making the baby she sound deal with the 'fun' of giving birth to the child.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:41 pm
I'm pro-choice, I guess. I'm not for it, but not against it either. It's the mother's decision to have the baby or not... So I guess it depends on the situation.

I mean, usually you can't get pregnant unless you're being totally idiotic and not using any type of protection, but sometimes it doesn't work.

It really depends on if the person wants to give birth or not.  

Angry Citizen

Lykii

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:55 pm
I'm split over the issue of abortion.

Personally, I can't imagine getting an abortion unless having the child would kill me and the child.

However, I think the government should butt out of the issue and let women get an abortion if they want. Unless we begin to highly specialize and complicate the rules of abortion so that it couldn't be a form of birth control, it will never be fair to everyone. And even if we did make the rules that intricate, there would still be people who would oppose the rules for one reason or another.

But, to all the people who say that a woman should only get an abortion if she will harm herself bearing the child or was raped, think about this: Most teenagers who get pregnant cannot handle raising a child, could end up being kicked out of their home by bringing the child to term, and, also, the majority of underage women who get pregnant will not be able to settle for a private adoption, simply because options like that are not common. So, would you prefer the child be raised as unwanted and unloved and/or destroy the mother's life?  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff