Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
The art of sounding smart....some people don't get it Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Battyish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:44 pm
Unfortunately, my mouth is a lot slower than my mind. Things come out in a jumble because I was going a mile minute. Damn. And spelling is not a good indicator of intelligence, I'm afraid. For instance, some doctors have the most atrocious spelling and handwriting ever known. But they have to learn a shitload to become doctors.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:03 pm
Quite frankly I don’t care if my doctor can’t spell vertebrae or syndrome or anything like that. As long as he/she knows what they are, can diagnose my symptoms properly, and has a steady hand when I need surgery then I’m content.

Besides, there is a world of difference between sounding or looking smart and being smart.  

SilentSong32

Battyish

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:43 am
That was my ******** point. neutral  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:15 am
Gah! I really hate chatspeak! I'll use it occiasionally when I'm texting someone but when you have a whole keyboard at your disposal I don't see what the excuse is.

I once tried to read someone's wall o' text that was pure chatspeak! I gave up trying to understand it when it turned into binary!

"fuk1n n008z!!!111 1 am t3h 1337!!1!!!!1111 lololololololololololololololol!!!11"

It just hurts my eyes. I also don't like it when people don't use full stops or commas. I don't mind if they're not fantastic spellers (I'm one of the few people I actually know who can spell well)
Also, when people start using yellow or bright green as their text colour!

Most of the time me and my friends on Gaia will try and imitate chatspeak for a laugh......but I usually feel cheap and dirty afterwards, like I lost a piece of my soul...... xp  

BabycakesFTW

SilentSong32

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:04 am
Battyish
That was my ******** point. neutral

I know and I was agreeing  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:25 am
Never actually had this kind of problem. But that's because I lock myself in private rooms when I play games all the time. XD I've heard of people being bashed for speaking in chat speak, but for actually typing out full sentences with proper capitalization and punctuation? That's new.

And I thought it was chat speak giving us headaches.. wonder what it's like for them to actually pick up a book and read? xp  

Azure Soulsteel

Anwell

5,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:07 pm
I completely agree.
But I can sympathize with the person.
Everyone makes mistakes.
n____n;;
I think that an extensive vocabulary is an essential component to 'the art of sounding smart'.
(As long as you spell things correctly, of course.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:13 pm
babycakes69other
Gah! I really hate chatspeak! I'll use it occiasionally when I'm texting someone but when you have a whole keyboard at your disposal I don't see what the excuse is.

I once tried to read someone's wall o' text that was pure chatspeak! I gave up trying to understand it when it turned into binary!

"fuk1n n008z!!!111 1 am t3h 1337!!1!!!!1111 lololololololololololololololol!!!11"

It just hurts my eyes. I also don't like it when people don't use full stops or commas. I don't mind if they're not fantastic spellers (I'm one of the few people I actually know who can spell well)

Most of the time me and my friends on Gaia will try and imitate chatspeak for a laugh......but I usually feel cheap and dirty afterwards, like I lost a piece of my soul...... xp

Ha!
I know how you feel.
What's really depressing is that highschoolers are using chatspeak in their papers, and on their tests.
D:
Chatspeak is the result of pure laziness.
However, there is a silver lining.
Can you imagine people trying to text each other in complete sentences while driving?
I can't condone texting and driving, but I'd rather them not try to be grammatically correct.
O.o

Anwell

5,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Battyish

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:44 pm
Then we're swimmin' mad  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:54 am
X_The Artful Dodger_X
babycakes69other

Ha!
I know how you feel.
What's really depressing is that highschoolers are using chatspeak in their papers, and on their tests.
D:
Chatspeak is the result of pure laziness.
However, there is a silver lining.
Can you imagine people trying to text each other in complete sentences while driving?
I can't condone texting and driving, but I'd rather them not try to be grammatically correct.
O.o

It actually against the law where I'm from....(having a phone in your hand while driving, not chatspeak! xp )
I'm perfectly fine with chat speak in text messages, it makes things quicker and easier, and you can keep things in the page limit. (I hate going over 1 page when texting....it costs more and I'M CHEAP! xp )
I just hate it when people use chatspeak at every oppurtunity. I have a cousin who actually SPEAKS in chatspeak! He says things like "lol" and "kewl" instead of "cool", "plz" instead of "please", "TTYL" and "pwnage".

I think a little bit of my soul died when you mentioned highschoolers using chatspeak in exam papers and essays..... burning_eyes  

BabycakesFTW

Homosexual Zombie

Tipsy Smoker

7,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:12 am
Chatspeak is annoying, but what is equally annoying are people who act so stuck up because they think they can spell better than everyone else, and insist on fixing their mistakes. I'm guilty of typos and grammatical errors, but you can still understand what I am trying to say. There's no need to be an a** and be all "Oh you spelt this wrong and the structure of your sentence is all wrong!" Unless I'm in a grammar class, and you're my teacher, just shut the ******** up.

People are allowed to make mistakes, and I don't see what is so bad about people "acting" smart. Some people really believe they are right, so they will voice their opinions. It isn't their fault, they might have the wrong information. It doesn't mean you need to get on their case about it. A simple "Hey, I know you said ____ but _____ says that _______ and more info can be found _____" Get what I mean?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:39 pm
Umm, what's 'leet speak'?
And secondly, I understand what you mean. I actually did too much text typing in chats. I ended up taking too much time on a school report because I kept accidentally typing in 'text talk'. It's better not to practice it.  

Kyakume

BabycakesFTW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:01 pm
Homosexual Zombie
Chatspeak is annoying, but what is equally annoying are people who act so stuck up because they think they can spell better than everyone else, and insist on fixing their mistakes. I'm guilty of typos and grammatical errors, but you can still understand what I am trying to say. There's no need to be an a** and be all "Oh you spelt this wrong and the structure of your sentence is all wrong!" Unless I'm in a grammar class, and you're my teacher, just shut the ******** up.

People are allowed to make mistakes, and I don't see what is so bad about people "acting" smart. Some people really believe they are right, so they will voice their opinions. It isn't their fault, they might have the wrong information. It doesn't mean you need to get on their case about it. A simple "Hey, I know you said ____ but _____ says that _______ and more info can be found _____" Get what I mean?

I see what you mean, some people can be really snooty. Although I don't see anyone correcting anyone else unless they're trying to be annoying. Or if the person being corrected was claiming to be "so intelligent" and they made a grammatical error, that;s when I tend to see people correct them....

I don't mind the odd speling mistake or typo as long as the sentance makes sense.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:54 am
I think that people need to read a little more, and memorize a few dictionaries, possibly in different languages.  

PeachOsaurus

BabycakesFTW

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Now.....I consider myself to be quite well read. I like to read a number of different books. But I don't think I will ever in my lifetime memorize dictionary in my own language! Never mind any other language!
Although I would like to learn another language.....

I think if kids can sit down and read a book or something for at least an hour a day, that's quite healthy. My dad did that with me. It was our "reading time".  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff