Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Feelings on Gay Marriage? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gay marriage?
  Yay!
  Nay!
View Results

Sweet Falling Snow13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:17 am
I really think there is nothing wrong with gay marriages. I mean if A man and a woman can get marry than why not a man and a man. There's nothing diffrent with it. If the person you love dearly and the person loves you back than they should be together no matter what sex they are.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:38 pm
To protect those precious to me... heart

I am not gay and I don't really like the fact that some people are...however, that is there choice and it doesn't change who they are. I say that if thats how they feel, then they should be able to make their own decisons.

heart ...that is my dream.

KyuubiFoxGirl9

6,000 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Team Jacob 100

lahdolphin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:28 pm
Not to hurt feelings but I say nay.

For one main reason and serval small ones dealing with my values.
It will causes chaos with so many religious (super religious) people

I am not opposed to it itself but due to our current government it will to much controversy. I will say I have nothing wrong with homosexuals it is just not something that a lot of people can accept right now.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:20 pm
User Image
Enough Said.

Aikoginshika

Goddess-Azuna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:40 am
i'm 200% for gay marriage. to me marriage is about loving someone more then anything and wanting to spend the rest of their lives together. sure people can do that regardless but something about marriage, like it's the final step in any relationship. and anyone should be able to take that final step. so why can't a man marry a man or a woman marry a woman? people get so uptight about religion they forget about the real meaning of marriage.

yay gay marriage!!  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:53 pm
Aikoginshika
User Image
Enough Said.

Unless I am mistaken, it is for each state as an individual to decide whether to legalize gay marriage, much like the death penalty is up to each state, and not President Bush.

Nice icon though.

I am for gay marriage all the way!! heart heart I believe that gay marriage is another relationship made complete. You can't take away some one's right to love, but you can recognize and respect it by allowing them to be married. As for the religious view, I'm Christian, and i believe that if God is a God of love, then why would he codemn two lovers, even if they are of the same gender? God loves everyone.
YAY GAY MARRIAGE!!!

Ame Annexe

monster_bunny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:39 am
I have nothing against gay people. It's homosexuality that I dislike. People are free to do as they please and if they want to marry someone of the same sex, that's their freakin' choice! Love the person, hate the performance. 99.9% of my friends, and my mom's friends, are homosexual or bisexual. I don't think less of them for it. It's just not for me. Hell, my little brother is named after a gay friend of my mom's!!!  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:58 am
I feel thats u should do wat makes u happy! No matter wat other ppl say.Its ur life.Live how YOU want! Do what makes u happy and BE with who makes u HAPPY!I think that if it makes u happy forget the world! U cant change how u feel! ITS JUST YOU!  

Mara the Ice Princess

ScardyG

4,950 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:15 pm
It seems to me that those against homosexuality are just an extremely vocal minority.
I don't see why anyone should have a problem with with same-sex marriage.
These people aren't hurting anyone.
It's just another prejudice. I think the real motive behind anti-gay sentiments is fear. The fear against what is different. People fear what they don't understand.
Homophobia is really based on the fear of being different, of not being accepted.
When I was younger, I used to feel weird about singing along with songs about loving a woman. If I sang along with it, did that mean I was less of a girl?

Now I don't care anymore. Sometimes I change around the words, sometimes I don't. I'm more secure in my femininity now that puberty is over.
I believe the discomfort towards different sexualities can be traced to puberty.
On top of one's body changing in unexpected and often grotesque ways, one is under heavy pressure to be accepted by their peers. It is a traumatic, overwhelming time.
In school situations, you always find kids who deal with this by taking it out on others. Teens will move in packs, bearing down on the meeker students in order to secure their own place in the school society.
By picking out the weaknesses of others, you can turn attention away from your own.

And since "high school never ends" this carries right on into the adult world. That's why you get politicians like Bush trying to bar the rights of others.
(I don't hate Bush, I just hate what he does)
Politics in government are exactly the same as the ones in high school, only politicians are in the positions of power. (A dangerous situation. That's why the world is screwed up. You've got high school bullies running the show.)

Sex and sexuality is a primal force. Good people can make terrible decisions when sex enters the equation. For example, President Clinton perjured himself over a fling with one of his employees. He nearly got himself kicked out of office over it.

These factors all are part of why the question of gay marriage (which honestly doesn't have that big affect on anyone but the couples in question) has become such a controversy. The religious aspect is minor next to these!

So why do people turn to religion over this?
People justify themselves, their choices, and their place in the universe through religion. When we cannot find the answers for ourselves, we turn to religion.
Wars have been fought in the name of religion. Not because the teachings urged them to wipe out their neighbor, but because religion is the perfect scapegoat for questionable actions.
If you convince yourself that your god is behind you, then whatever you do is righteous and correct.
Throughout history people have used religion to cover up selfish motives.

So if you decide to oppress the rights of a group of people, just twist a phrase or two from the religion of your choice and use that as your carte a blanche to say and do whatever you want.

To sum all that up, the opposition of same-sex marriage can be attributed to prejudice, fear, the search for acceptance, the drive for power, sexual confusion, and selfish motives.

In other words... people are jerks.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:27 pm
I think that you should be able to marry whoever you like, because love is love, and gays are not that different from the straight people...... aside from the fact that they're gay. What does it matter who people love as long as it's still love?

I've got no religion, but I don't think that people should be prejudiced against gays just because they think their God hates the gays. My (Christian) friend told me that God loves all humans the same. If that's the case, why does God hate gays? Their human too, and really, none of them have done anything to deserve this prejudice towards them.

Random thought: Is it normal for a 13-year-old to put things like this in a forum? Especially if it's this long and contains a lot of opinionated views and philosophy-type-stuff?  

Mini Harmonoid

Sage Mage

6,350 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Tsukinoki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:35 pm
Same gender marriages should be aloud. They say God doesn't want us to do it but i haven't read anything about that in the Bible. I think that the priests are just making this up because they rather listen to their own biased decisions than God.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:53 pm
Only stupid people believe people unlike them should be denied human rights.  

Tasty Crayons

Ophelianime

Chatty Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:06 am
I'm sorry but, I'm against it  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:13 pm
lahdolphin
Not to hurt feelings but I say nay.

For one main reason and serval small ones dealing with my values.
It will causes chaos with so many religious (super religious) people

I am not opposed to it itself but due to our current government it will to much controversy. I will say I have nothing wrong with homosexuals it is just not something that a lot of people can accept right now.

In America, at least, I think that Scardy is right. Those who oppose gay marriage are NOT in the majority, they are just the ones yelling the loudest. That just means that the rest of us who see gay marriage as acceptable need to stand up and say so.  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:15 pm
Ophelianime