Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Global Warming? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you think global warming is a threat?
  yes
  no
View Results

METRO SKiiES

Romantic Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:19 pm
Kazenge
Yea I can see what you're saying. It's like the whole December 21st of 2012 which is supposedly "The end of the world." But that is a diff topic in this thread. But yes, there are people who make hella profits off this stuff. As I may have said before, I think this is blown all out of proportion. It starts out small, and as people think more into it they get weird theories they put out, which makes people panic, thus leading up to the conspiracies about the end of the world through flooding or something. I think that truly 70% at least is just hype about global warming, and not really true.

For all we know, December 21st 2012 could be the end of the world because of the damage we are doing to our planet. Species that have walked the earth for millions of years before we did are dying off because of our actions in our miniscule time period. Global warming can trace back to the Industrial Revolution 200 years ago, and the huge damage we are doing has escalated in the last 50 years. Compare that to the four-and-a-half billion year age of the planet, and you have to see how bad our actions are. This is not normal.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:32 pm
Nature always finds a backdoor to retribute the taken. The global warming WILL kill important streams of the oceans, due to an overfeeding with unsaltedwater. The lack of transported temperatures will lead to the icing of other regions, such as a creation of a new "arctic" area.

Also, the CO2 gas needs about 40 years to take effect on earth, that's why there has not been a lot of effects in recent times, the earth is a lot more industrialised than 200 years ago. Even if they are more ecological than 100 years ago, their amount still sums up in infesting the environment, it's just a drop of water on a hot stone!  

Verderbnis

PelicanBlack

Dapper Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:09 pm
Of course Global Warming is a threat! Maybe it isn't a threat to us in the present, but in the long term, it'll destroy the world!  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:23 pm
well if you want to stop global warming now it is probably too late cause us human been on the planet for so many years and we are trying to clean up all the mess we made in a few years that isnt possible and another thing is this is a global issues not national so you have to get other countries to help out too but yeah that isnt gonna happen very soon  

milennasogno16

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:36 pm
Kazenge
From what it seems like we are on opposite sides of the spectrum and we will accomplish nothing by competeing against eachother. We would need other peopels inputs in order to make this a civilized convo. Two people bickering over their beliefs does nothing. We would atleast need a third person with a point of view. Until we get that there is nothing really we can talk about on this.

We will accomplish nothing by not conversing with people of different opinions. neutral

All we need to "get anywhere" in this conversation is facts, so find some and continue the conversation. I didn't perceive our conversation as bickering. Just because 2 people disagree doesn't mean their conversation is an argument. It's called a debate, and it can be perfectly civil and constructive.

You can argue against my opinions, but facts speak for themselves.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:26 pm
I think global warming is an unnecessary hype. I think there is more evidence to the fact that warming and cooling goes in stages, from warm to cool, warm to cool. I think we are just in one of those stages. I don't think there is a big thing to go ape about global warming. But taking care of our planet should still be a big deal.  

Knatalie9

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:32 pm
Something that some people don't seem to understand is that the issue is not that the Earth's climate is changing (as this has obviously happened before) but rather the rapidity with which these changes are occurring. The speed of these changes is what is causing enormous natural disasters like Katrina and Ike.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

http://www.whrc.org/resources/online_publications/warming_earth/scientific_evidence.htm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:46 am
I believe in global warming ... and i believe that only us can defeat it !!
I know all of u can do something ... and each of you can do something ... if we did all this mess ... we must have to repair it ...
U can start by taking care off what is around u.

What do u see around u ?

I know u can see all the problems ... some of them are impossible to resolve [for our age], but u can do small things right ? u can be an example to your friends and be popular too razz
... and if u really wanna save this planet and ... if u really wanna save yourself ... DO SOMETHING !!! don't just sit there !! ...u are better than that!! >(^.^)<

otilia17

a scawy ghost

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:00 pm
Yes I believe global warming is a problem, yes I think humans are at least partly to blame for most of what's going on.

But seriously even if this IS a natural cycle of things, why should we keep on the track that we're currently on, our industries harm the environment will it cost money to change that? Yes, but future generations will benefit from the cleaner earth.

Whether or not we're causing THIS period of change shouldn't be the only thing we worry about, we should worry about what will happen to future generations if we CONTINUE along this path and things get beyond our control.

*I apologize if I repeated something anyone has already said*  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:47 pm
Global Warming is a threat, I mean. Look around you, What it has caused amoungst the people and the world these days. The Climate is changing so rapidly, and For all we know we can't do anything about that.
I think if we do something about it now, It whould be a waste, Because there are to many things wrong now as it is, We should have done something about it years ago. Instead of waiting for it to blow over like so many do.  

Danse-de-Macabre

Sparkly Prophet

Kaze_no_Hibiki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:14 pm
I do believe in Global Warming.
That is, I believe in Global Warming, the natural process.

It exists, but is no where near as bad as Al Gore wants us to believe.
Also, by the way, Al Gore make a whole lot of money off of this....
Have you seen An Inconvenient Truth?
Its a simple slide show that he sells for $10 apiece!
Meanwhile, John Colemen, founder of The Weather Channel, and former weatherman on Good Morning America, (that is to say, an experienced professional) says that Global Warming is a scam, and has shown proof.
Around 97% of the CO2 in the atmosphere is produced by nature.
And the increases in CO2 that are the result of humans has been coupled with a DECREASE in solar radiation!

So, I think I'd rather believe a professional who gains nothing either way, than a politician (who are trained at talking to people, and getting them on there side) who gains a ton off of this!  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:30 am
I don't think its a real threat at this point. yes we do need to start thinking about what we're doing to the world, but the earth goes through warming and cooling trends. When the climate lowers, its called an Ice Age, etc.

Protecting the environment, sure, but don't go over the top with it. Start with recycling and work your way up.  

Siren Avalon

Invisible Hunter

12,150 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Starstruck Rainbow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:44 pm
Ok, seriously, two degrees people. Yes, ice is melting, yes, the world is warming, but I believe we didn't cause it. We're certainly not contributing, but we're not causing it. The world is changing. The world changed to kill the dinosaurs so we could take over for a while. Maybe the world is changing so the fish can rule. Change isn't bad. Just let the world do it's will.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:48 am
it is very true that it has gets warmer and that part of the ozone deteriorates every year but it is also true that as the earth becomes more populated this effect gets worse and worse when the earth had only neandrathals on it this effect was very minimal which was the reason for the ice age but as more advance civilizations started to form the effect became worse eventually putting us in the situation we are now in  

G0d_0f_R0ck

5,700 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Esme Eames

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:33 pm
The problems happening now can be a cycle the Earth goes through. We don't know because we don't know that far back. It could also be a real problem. My psych professor thought it was bunch of bull. That was his opinion, not mine. I think it is a problem, but I don't know if it will naturally go away or we need to take protective actions against it. I don't think preventive actions will hurt.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff