Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Abortion Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kotori82

7,200 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:35 am
I believe abortion should happen if the mother is at risk of dying or the baby has a small percentage of suriving the birth.

If the woman gets rape it's up to her if she wants to have an abortion. She didn't want to be pregant and it might be too much for her to handle. Being pregant from being rape, she might harm the unborn baby even if it's unconcoius. It's too much for a woman mentally to care an unborn baby like that.

Those are the reasons fro abortion. Any other reason...they should have the baby.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:16 am
AninOnin
Charles Dodo
I see no reason a woman should be forced to use her body as life support for a fetus. This is as someone who has seen the torment that parents and child are put through when an unwanted life is brought into this world. Better by far to die unborn that to live with people who resent you simply for existing.

If you're insinuating that your parents consider you "unwanted life" and they "resent you simply for existing", you need to reevaluate your outlook on life. I'm sorry, but feeling sorry for yourself is not going to help.

I did not speak of myself, and I find your statement cold and cruel. Do not imagine that a child who is told "You were an accident and should never have been born" is merely "feeling sorry for himself". Even when grown it is no simple matter to simply move past the feelings of worthlessness that this kind of upbringing instills.

People incapable of offering children unconditional love should not have them. If this means that a fetus must, on occasions, be killed then so be it.  

Charlie Dodo

4,750 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

Edwin Dragonblade

Devoted Prophet

7,150 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Pet Trainer 150
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:43 am
Dylanthevyllan
In the word's of Jay, "A woman's body is her own ******** buisness!" (Quoted from Dogma)

Agreed. However, the debate is far too complex than to be summarized by that statement alone.

Let's start by making a necessary distinction- the way I see it, there are two types of abortions: The first, and one which usually comes to mind when the word is mentioned, is when the pregnancy is unwanted or unplanned. In such a case, the quoted statement above should, in my opinion, guide our decision making profess. Moreover, in George Carlin's (RIP) words: "when these people raised a couple of kids on minimum wages I'll be glad to hear what they have to say about abortions"

The second type, the one that is often overlooked, is the one in which the fetus isn't wanted (because of diseases, defects etc). This case is trickier, because it really does bring up the whole "who are we to decide who gets to live and who doesn't", and how do you determine which disease is bearable and which should result in terminating the pregnancy?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:37 am
i personally dont think abortion is the right way to do thingas if u dont wwant a baby there is always adoption. but if u kno thaat ull die from having the baby i think u have the right to choose if u want it or not. but then again is there ever a right or wrong way to do anything it depends on how u were raised and ur own personal opinion really. i dont like abortion i would never do it but those who have gotten an abortion i wont judge them its their right after all  

Ayame_M

4,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200

NoodlesandChips

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:58 am
It's the mothers choice in all cases. However i don't feel that an "accident" counts as a reason.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:34 pm
Unilover07
It isn't completely up to the woman. It is a decision that should be made carefully between both parents. That being said, there should be the right to choose. Government shouldn't have the ability to mandate every aspect of our lives.

The man does not have the final say on an abortion. The woman is the one who would have to go through the pregnancy, so she does and should get to choose whether or not to go through with it. The man, if he is staying with the woman and not running to the high hills when he finds out she's pregnant, can and ought to have an input with the woman, but ultimately the woman makes the decision.  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

momo the momi

Blessed Nerd

8,275 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:06 am
I guess the final say is up to the woman, but really, the father should at least have some input on the matter. It's his too. And a doctor should be able to choose whether or not to perform an abortion just as much as a woman should be able to make that decision or not. I think it's such a tough subject and nobody is going to completly happy no matter what. Personally, I think it should only be allowed under extreme cases, like stated earlier by others: Rape, Incest, Dying. That's it, for me. But I do want to say that I think it's awesome that everybody here can discuss this debate intellectually and we're not going off the deep-end.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:03 pm
I feel and strongly believe that people need to consider this deeply. You see, to me abortion after a certain amount of time is not okay. If any of you have seen Juno, she doesn't get an abortion because someone told her the fetus already had nails. Nails.

I am pro- choice. I believe that if a mother who is carrying the baby is allowed to get an abortion if she wants to. It is her body and she HAS the RIGHT.

No one ecspecially not the government can tell her she can't get an abortion.  

roses_diamonds

G0d_0f_R0ck

5,700 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:40 am
im pro choice there are laws protect the fetus so that it can not be harmed one it has a brain and actual feeling if there weren't id probably be against it but abortion is the mothers choice and since it affects me in no way i don't care what u do personally if i got a girl pregnant i would not want her to have an abortion i would want to put the child up for adoption but of course that wuoldn't be up to me. thats another thing to i think it is wrong that the father ultimatley has no say in the matter i mean it is his child to even if it isn't his body he should still have a say in the end i mean if the woman has an abortion and the man is strongly pro life it could devistate him  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff