No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §
I have a question! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

So the person in the alien clinic is . . .
  a new person even if they are a perfect copy.
  the same person, they're consciousness is continued.
  very lucky the aliens have taken an interest in them.
  a computer simulation.
  someone I don't know.
  me.
  I don't know.
View Results

Strideo
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:59 am
Alone in the Bright
Strideo
I think I must conclude that the copy is a new person.

I found it tempting to believe that the copy might be a continuation of the original but here's the problem. What is to stop the aliens from producing as many copies as they please? What if they made two copies instead of one? Could you argue that one is a continuation of the original and the other is a new individual? Or are they both continuations of the original? If they both are then we would need to believe that there can be multiples of ourselves all of whom would diverge and become different.

But to the person who is a copy if they were never told that they were a copy they would believe they were the original. They would never know the difference. In fact no one would if the whole thing were kept secret. Hmmm. confused
That last question is similar to "if a tree falls and no one knows, does it make any sound?" the not knowing you are copy doesn't make you the original, because the fact that the original is now been eating by worms and the copy living makes the different.
I did not say that if nobody knows the truth that it changes reality. I was just pontificating a bit on how no one would really know and I was thinking about how it's a bit of a dark concept really. It would be a concerning matter if it were possible, no? My original conclusion above still stands. The copy is not the same person as the original even if they believe it to be true themselves.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:43 am
i guess it's a new person even if it remembered all your memories...the real you, died..and that can't be changed...it's only that, your brain lives in another body...and besides, it was a clone...even your peers can distinguish you from that perfect clone...so, it's a new person and it's definitely not you... blaugh exclaim mrgreen  

poponara

5,750 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Strideo
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:30 am
pixie_jem2, if it really were a perfect copy you wouldn't be able to tell. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:38 am
I'm going to have to say that it's going to be a copy.
Even though it will have the same memories, it won't necessarily be the same person.
Additionally, even though the copy won't know that it's a copy, that won't change the fact that it's not the original.

pixie_jem2. If it's a perfect clone, then no one would be able to tell. the keyword there is perfect, which means it would think it is you as well, and if it has all your memories, it would also have all your memories and actions duplicated perfectly because it thinks it's you as well.  

wellwisher
Vice Captain

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:11 am
Body = Different

Mind = Same

Soul = Debatable. Did the soul get transplanted? Does the soul exist? Etc.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:14 am
Strideo
I think I must conclude that the copy is a new person.

I found it tempting to believe that the copy might be a continuation of the original but here's the problem. What is to stop the aliens from producing as many copies as they please? What if they made two copies instead of one? Could you argue that one is a continuation of the original and the other is a new individual? Or are they both continuations of the original? If they both are then we would need to believe that there can be multiples of ourselves all of whom would diverge and become different.

But to the person who is a copy if they were never told that they were a copy they would believe they were the original. They would never know the difference. In fact no one would if the whole thing were kept secret. Hmmm. confused

Thus why the "soul" arguement must come into play, imo.  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

Rokvothzin

Prophet

7,250 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:19 am
It's someone new because They would have to not only transplant the concious but the whole brain or thy new person would be braindead with a concious  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:20 am
Kinda like that Gantz manga...  

KingJack!

5,850 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • First step to fame 200

KingJack!

5,850 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:21 am
Think of it like photocopying a piece of paper with words and information on it: Does it have the same words and information on the copy? Yes. Is it the same paper? No.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:24 am
KingJack!
Think of it like photocopying a piece of paper with words and information on it: Does it have the same words and information on the copy? Yes. Is it the same paper? No.

Okay okay, Strideo didn't specify HOW the perfect body was reconstructed. Did they morph a generic human body type to match yours? Did they use your original DNA? Did they use both DNA and the original molecules/atoms from the old body?

There are a number of possibilities on the regrowth of the body, and each of those possibilities bring it closer to the "original" body.  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

lazy bonz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:51 am
Strideo
What is to stop the aliens from producing as many copies as they please? What if they made two copies instead of one?

What is to stop the aliens from duplicating you while you are still alive and well?

And in my view, memories isn't everything. If the aliens created multiple copies of me, each will have it's own unique soul, and each will want to live a different life.

Heck! If I were perfectly duplicated (including the soul), it's possible that each individual copy will make different choices as their lives progressed.
(how many roads have I not taken that I wish I had? TOOO MANY!)  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:53 am
Identity theft! xp xd  

quick12

2,900 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200

Strideo
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:57 am
zphal_girl87
KingJack!

Okay okay, Strideo didn't specify HOW the perfect body was reconstructed. Did they morph a generic human body type to match yours? Did they use your original DNA? Did they use both DNA and the original molecules/atoms from the old body?

There are a number of possibilities on the regrowth of the body, and each of those possibilities bring it closer to the "original" body.
I guess it would be as similar as is possible by whatever craft the aliens have, including the DNA. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:04 pm
...one moment.
*wakes up*
Woah...what's up with these memories...I died, right? Just feel...different.

No, I wouldn't be the same. Even with the same memories...it would be different. I don't know how to explain it though. It's just...the last memory there and then waking up. You'd know that body died. Even if you looked exactly the same, the mind would have changed. Knowing that you had died...
You'd change. Even with those same memories still in your head. But...you'd be alike.

Sky of the Silver Ocean

5,600 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Brandisher 100

Verderbnis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:38 pm
The person will not be the same just because of some memories, they'll rather be just another individual with foreign memory. Their perception will be another than from their original.

There's more than memory defining a person.  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff