could someone help me make a good pokemon team? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

disliker of the mary sue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:12 pm
@ nadian

wow that is complicated. well now i know i never be a great Pokemon player because not only do i have to go through hundreds of eggs i also have to put it through training until there level 100 in a complex method where you only fight certain Pokemon with the ev stats you want. that sounds like it would take forever just to make one good pokemon out of this methods.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:40 pm
When you understand the processes, you can optimize them so that you could make a viable (yet simple) competitive pokemon from scratch in a single day. Weavile or Gengar are good examples. (Although in Weavile's case you can't get Pursuit except via Egg Move, but it has viable movesets that don't use it.)

In the IV breeding case, if you have the Dittos I mentioned, the breeding can go pretty fast. 55 eggs to get a pokemon with two perfect IVs is fairly nice.

Let's say you're EV training Gengar. If you did it my way, you'd infect Gastly with Pokerus, give it 10 Carbos and 10... Calcium, I think? and give it a Power Anklet. Find a single Graveler for 2 Defense EVs, then battle the guy with two Alakazams 9 times. Switch the Power Anklet with a Power Lens and battle the Alakazam guy two more times and voila! Your Gastly (probably a Haunter now) has 4 Defense EVs, 252 Special Attack EVs, and 252 Speed EVs after only 12 battles (23 total pokemon.) It's done EV training. smile

(You want 252 in Special Attack and Speed because, although you can go to 255, you don't see any advantage above 252.)

Weavile would be similar... but probably fight a Gastrodon instead of a Graveler and when he switches to the Power Bracer he fights 7 more pokemon (for a total of 26 pokemon.)

After that, you teach your pokemon the appropriate moves and you are essentially done!

-Once you've got the EVs right, it can fight anything you want ; the EVs won't change no matter what you fight. That means you can use the Elite Four to level it up after EV training.

-Since there are Wi-Fi and Pokemon Battle Revolution rules that allow you to set a pokemon's level, sometimes you don't actually have to level it up. The games will automatically make all pokemon the same level for that battle.  

Nadian
Crew

disliker of the mary sue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:45 pm
Nadian
When you understand the processes, you can optimize them so that you could make a viable (yet simple) competitive pokemon from scratch in a single day. Weavile or Gengar are good examples. (Although in Weavile's case you can't get Pursuit except via Egg Move, but it has viable movesets that don't use it.)

In the IV breeding case, if you have the Dittos I mentioned, the breeding can go pretty fast. 55 eggs to get a pokemon with two perfect IVs is fairly nice.

Let's say you're EV training Gengar. If you did it my way, you'd infect Gastly with Pokerus, give it 10 Carbos and 10... Calcium, I think? and give it a Power Anklet. Find a single Graveler for 2 Defense EVs, then battle the guy with two Alakazams 9 times. Switch the Power Anklet with a Power Lens and battle the Alakazam guy two more times and voila! Your Gastly (probably a Haunter now) has 4 Defense EVs, 252 Special Attack EVs, and 252 Speed EVs after only 12 battles (23 total pokemon.) It's done EV training. smile

(You want 252 in Special Attack and Speed because, although you can go to 255, you don't see any advantage above 252.)

Weavile would be similar... but probably fight a Gastrodon instead of a Graveler and when he switches to the Power Bracer he fights 7 more pokemon (for a total of 26 pokemon.)

After that, you teach your pokemon the appropriate moves and you are essentially done!

-Once you've got the EVs right, it can fight anything you want ; the EVs won't change no matter what you fight. That means you can use the Elite Four to level it up after EV training.

-Since there are Wi-Fi and Pokemon Battle Revolution rules that allow you to set a pokemon's level, sometimes you don't actually have to level it up. The games will automatically make all pokemon the same level for that battle.

okay i think i do that once i catch a ditto and got a lot of free time.

any Pokemon you recommend?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:20 pm
If you're going to begin with one, it might be best to start with one that handles things on its own really well. I'd suggest Starmie except that pretty much requires that you have all the Dittos I mentioned. (Or at least a Modest Ditto and Dittos with 31 in the Special Attack and Speed stats.)

Porygon-Z comes to mind as well, but it's got the same problem.

Maybe Gengar would be good... give it Thunderbolt, Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, and... I'm not sure what the fourth one would be.  

Nadian
Crew

disliker of the mary sue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:39 pm
Nadian
If you're going to begin with one, it might be best to start with one that handles things on its own really well. I'd suggest Starmie except that pretty much requires that you have all the Dittos I mentioned. (Or at least a Modest Ditto and Dittos with 31 in the Special Attack and Speed stats.)

Maybe Gengar would be good... give it Thunderbolt, Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, and... I'm not sure what the fourth one would be.

what about an alakasam it has one of the highest special attacks ever for a non legendary and has some great speed.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:57 pm
disliker of the mary sue
Nadian

what about an alakasam it has one of the highest special attacks ever for a non legendary and has some great speed.

I didn't suggest him because his coverage isn't as superb as Gengar's so he usually takes advantage of Trick and is relegated to a Choice Specs role. His newest "toy" in Platinum is Signal Beam, but that's not a ground-shattering addition.

He's not a bad choice ; it's just that Gengar seemed like it'd be more universally useful after being trained.  

Nadian
Crew

disliker of the mary sue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:00 pm
Nadian
disliker of the mary sue
Nadian

I didn't suggest him because his coverage isn't as superb as Gengar's so he usually takes advantage of Trick and is relegated to a Choice Specs role. His newest "toy" in Platinum is Signal Beam, but that's not a ground-shattering addition.

He's not a bad choice ; it's just that Gengar seemed like it'd be more universally useful after being trained.

hm gengar always seemed a bit useless to me as a ghost pokemon since psychics can kill it easily with it toxic type. but i do know that gengar does have a variety of moves and apperintly has alot of people using it.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:14 pm
disliker of the mary sue
Nadian
disliker of the mary sue
Nadian

hm gengar always seemed a bit useless to me as a ghost pokemon since psychics can kill it easily with it toxic type. but i do know that gengar does have a variety of moves and apperintly has alot of people using it.

He might see less use in Platinum because of Hypnosis's drop in accuracy, but I believe he has been enjoyed because of his immunity to three whole types, fighting and ground being particularly common. His immunity to normal-type attacks allows him to block Rapid Spin, his Ghost-type being dangerous to Starmie. He can learn Energy Ball and Thunderbolt which are dangerous to many other Rapid Spinners, too.

But I think people mostly liked the fast Hypnosis?  

Nadian
Crew

disliker of the mary sue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:41 pm
Nadian
disliker of the mary sue
Nadian
disliker of the mary sue
Nadian

He might see less use in Platinum because of Hypnosis's drop in accuracy, but I believe he has been enjoyed because of his immunity to three whole types, fighting and ground being particularly common. His immunity to normal-type attacks allows him to block Rapid Spin, his Ghost-type being dangerous to Starmie. He can learn Energy Ball and Thunderbolt which are dangerous to many other Rapid Spinners, too.

But I think people mostly liked the fast Hypnosis?

hm okay thanks for the advice./  
"PPP" Peoples' Pokemon Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces