Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Oldies or the newies? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Twizzler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:14 am
I have weird taste in music. It's normally what the people I live with listen to. I must say, I'm going to kill whoever started the whole rap trend. Half the girls in my grade are obsessed about the same song that talks about a girl's butt. No thx. talk2hand
I like to know what a song is about, or at least the lyrics. I like Weezer, The Beatles, Green Day, The Smiths...It must be impossible to buy me music.

Just don't give me any of that "yoyo look at those butts omg" and I'll be happy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:48 pm
i like new and old rock my favorite old rock band is led zepplin and my new rock band is the used  

XxBrittnay_BrendaxX

Cornelius loh Quatious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:51 pm
Rap gets a bad reputation. What people don't realize is that there is far more to the Hip Hop movement than what people hear on the radio. For instance, I'm rather fond of FORCE OF NATURE, a Japanese duo in the scene. They were responsible for a number of the songs in Samurai Champloo, including the all awesome "Hiji Suru STYLE."  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:05 pm
I weird, because I'm 16, and I'm not really into music. Most of my friends have stacks and cases of cds, but me, I have like 5 or six. Most of them are Radio Disney Cd's. I listen to Radio Disney alot. But for my opinion, I like alot of the old stuff.  

nicksangel77

Day-Glo Fairy Snow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:47 am
I listen to few bands that are still currently together and still making music. Most of my faves have either broken up or died. So goes punk rock I suppose.
There are still good band out there, it's just that they are so mired in the crap that is spewed from the radio no one really finds out about them. I'm not a fan of hip hop at all, but the worst has to be the new pop-punk stuff that is so popular. It doesn't in the least resemble the roots it claims. It's just crappy 3 chord pop-rock with nothing behind it.
New, poplular music has lost it's meaning. What are they writing about anyway? I'm sick of hearing about sex and whining about some idiots girlfriend. Give me substance! Give me meaning!
I want back the times when people actually wrote music! The followed tradional musical formats and were revolutionary in their compositions. I can't say punk rock is the most formal of music but at least they have some feeling behind the music. It means something to them and their listeners.
Gods, my boyfriends little brother seemed to sum up the new age of music listeners. We asked him what the song he was listening to meant. "It doesn't have a meaning, it's just a song." Those words hurt my soul...
Television is dead and music is slowly decaying... what's next? Literature?  
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:57 pm
Both.  

Bugeera

Bugeera

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:59 pm
Heres some bands I like.
Beulah
Pavement
Foo Fighters
Flaming Lips
Ozma
The Mighty Mighty Bostones
Weezer
Five Iron Frenzy
REM
They Might Be Giants
The Deathray Davies
Man or Astroman
Brand New
Led Zeppelin
Apples in Stereo  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:57 am
Day-Glo Fairy Snow
New, poplular music has lost it's meaning. What are they writing about anyway? I'm sick of hearing about sex and whining about some idiots girlfriend. Give me substance! Give me meaning!
I want back the times when people actually wrote music! The followed tradional musical formats and were revolutionary in their compositions. I can't say punk rock is the most formal of music but at least they have some feeling behind the music. It means something to them and their listeners.
Gods, my boyfriends little brother seemed to sum up the new age of music listeners. We asked him what the song he was listening to meant. "It doesn't have a meaning, it's just a song." Those words hurt my soul...
Television is dead and music is slowly decaying... what's next? Literature?

For me the lyrics don't always have to have meaning. Sometimes I just like how the voice sounds. This is why I can enjoy J-pop. I like how the voice sounds and consider it another instrument. I look for the sound first then maybe the lyrics, sometimes the lyrics hit me first (a recent example is "You'll be There" by George Strait). My music intrests go pretty much across the board, but I was raised on country music.

If I'm looking for some meaning from the lyrics, there's a lot of country music I can choose from or if I'm so inclined, I'll go for the blues. No matter how they try to put thier emtions in there music, nobody can do it like blues musicians. Look at "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong, you can hear the smile on Ol' Sachimo's face. Country, espically older country can have a lot of meaning as well as it's often music about the common man.

I really dislike the cookie cutter music of today though. I can listen to today's country and find a dozen guys that sound the same. It used to be that everybody had their own distinct sound like Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Merle Hagard, Jonny Cash, Conway Twitty, and George Jones. I also miss hearing the four part harmonies like the Beach Boys. Today you can have a band of 5, 6, or even 7 and they're all altos.

I don't want to even talk about the lack of playing talent in mainstream today, but does anybody actually play anymore?

It's going to make this post way too long but I want to finish with some meaningful lyrics that I feel really apply to the topic. It's an old favourite, "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes" by George Jones, written by T. Seals and M.D. Barnes.

You know this old world is full of singers
But just a few are chosen
To tear your heart out when they sing
Imagine life without them
All your, radio heros
Like the outlaw that walks through Jesse's dream

No, there will never be another
Red-headed stranger
A Man in Black and Folsom Prison Blues
The Okie from Muskogee
Or Hello Darling
Lord I wonder, who's gonna fill their shoes

(Chorus smile
Who's gonna fill their shoes
Who's gonna stand that tall
Who's gonna play the Opry
And the Wabash Cannonball
Who's gonna give their heart and soul
To get to me and you
Lord I wonder, who's gonna fill their shoes

God bless the boys from Memphis
Blue Suede Shoes and Elvis
Much too soon he left this world in tears
They tore up the Fifties
Old Jerry Lee and Charlie
And old Go Cat Go still echoes through the years

You know the heart of country music
Still beats in Luke the Drifer
You can tell when hew sings I Saw the Light
Old Marty, Hank and Lefty
Why I can feel them right here with me
On this Silver Eagle rolling through the night

(Repeat chorus)  

KaguraOfTheWind

Miss Gish

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:43 pm
I like a lot of music, for the most part. But I prefer listening to oldies. Like old rock, old jazz, etc. etc.  
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:20 am
i like oldish stuff from about 2 or 3 years ago most rock music now a days is very emo  

NickCpointless

rose-kore

3,600 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:15 am
Its a shame most new music is over produced with little or no substance. The modern pop music is a 'get rich quick' scheme made by record companies to make heaps of dosh mad . Its stuff you can dance to, but honestly, the *BEEP* song is as about as shollow as shallow gets!

Like so many other people I turned off the radio a few years back when there wasn't anything on that I compared to what I was currently listening to. Thankfully there are good bands out there not comprimising themselves/their art for mainstream audiences or to become 'the next big thing'. I'll always be an alt-music fan 3nodding .

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:31 pm
I would say the oldies with a few expection of some new stuff. A lot of the older music had more feeling of being its own. The only one of todays music artist that is just as good as the oldies it the music writer for the Final Fantasy series.  

rockmanx

KaguraOfTheWind

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:49 pm
Nobuo Uematsu has been composing a long time. The first Final Fantasy game was released in 1987. As for still being as good, many to the pieces use variations on themes that have been in use since the first or second game.  
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:09 am
I am constantly made fun of for not liking the music that everyone else likes. I am a huge Barry Manilow fan, and the only people that like him are 50-year-old women. (I'm a fifteen year old GUY.)

I also love disco, mainly Donna Summer, Bee Gees, Earth Wind and Fire, and ABBA. And Barry Manilow's Copacabana.

I like Elvis, Sinatra and the Beatles.

I love the old music, and hate the new music. I agree with everything everyone else said about the new music, so I won't repeat it.

"maybe the old songs
will bring back the old times
maybe the old lines will sound new"

~ Barry Manilow's The Old Songs  

manilow

Cornelius loh Quatious

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:33 pm
How does a 15 year old even HEAR about Barry Manilow? I dig his stuff also, but I'm quite curious how you got into it. Parents are big fans?  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff