No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "FLC" Foreign Languages and Cultures
Zomg the American Sign Language thread. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you think ASL is cool and interesting?
  Yessum. ^^
  Nopeum. ( D:<)
  Umm.... goldeum.
View Results

BUNNYshine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:03 pm
LOVE heart ! I amnearly fluent!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:02 am
I was excited this past Friday when I got to use some of what I knew and remembered about sign language. I think it's an amazing language and it's probably the only fully universal language. The customer was so good though that I had no idea he was Deaf until I was almost done with his transaction. I'm studying to be a speech pathologist but I also want to learn more sign language.  

GemEncrustedEarth

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:22 am
My friend has been learning ASL for the past couple of years, so she's tought me a few signs. I'm not fluent by any standard, though.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:01 pm
I heart heart heart ASL!

So much fun... I really miss signing every day. Anybody know of a good deaf social culture spot in San Diego County? biggrin  

Neo-chaning

nobodys0somebody

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:31 pm
i know how to ask:
What class do you have now?
are they a speaking person?

and i know the whole alphabet  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:57 am
This thread has kinda died, but oh well I'll bring it back. I graduated with a degree in sign language last year. i love the language. so expressive  

Deppfan

The_GhostlyGirl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:34 am
I'm taking ASL once school starts up again along with Latin. I really got intrested in it while I was in Elem. School and since then I made it a goal to learn it. So far I can sign my name, both of my sisters' names, book, and stars... sweatdrop weird I know, but languages have always intrested me. Ish why I'm going to take a Language minor once I start college! 4laugh I'm already bilingual, and I hope that by the time I finish HS I can at least say I'm trilingual. sweatdrop But I guess that's too much to hope for, ah well, I'll keep working to become a polygot... ^^  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:00 pm
Next to finishing up Spanish and continueing with Japanese I want to start up ASL again. I was in an after school class for it back in 2nd grade. But I have since moved from that school and haven't gotten back to it. Though I do have a book and some CDs that can help teach it. So I hope to get time to start it up. The only thing I remember is the alphabet.

~Buwie  

buwieshingo

Durem Shapeshifter

Super-Appy-Juice

Fashionable Genius

4,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:42 pm
i wish i could learn i remember when i was younger i would watch my mom's cousin and his mom converse and i would try to understand but i couldnt

i new a few things... mom, dad, smart, dog.. hehe i really want to learn biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:02 pm
I really like ASL and find it interesting but I have trouble learning something so physical.

I learned a few signs from a children's show called Signing Time.
It's really cool. It teaches you signs and incorperates them into songs.
But I could only remeber a few signs, like "shoes," "room," or "want."  

pandaWaffle

Deppfan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:58 pm
pandaWaffle
I really like ASL and find it interesting but I have trouble learning something so physical.

I learned a few signs from a children's show called Signing Time.
It's really cool. It teaches you signs and incorperates them into songs.
But I could only remeber a few signs, like "shoes," "room," or "want."

My mom told me about that show. It's cute.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:36 pm
Oh... sign is FUN. It's a really neat thing to have, and important too for those who can't hear. Personally I haven't really gotten that much into it, but the alphabet, a few songs, and a collection of random words I learned from my mom. Hey, when I first clicked on this thread I was a expecting something a bit different...
Is there a way that people can practice sign in threads like this? Like post pictures of the hand signals or something? I'm not really sure... I think that would be cool though... if it's done right at least... or... well... I guess I mean in a way that other people can understand and actually have conversations like that. Idk... any one wanna pick up this idea? I think it'd be cool. I can't really start much of it though since i don't know much ASL... =/  

strange_dreams_512

Diabetic-kun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:18 pm
Ahh, the good old ASL. It's really not hard if you know how to do it, I taught myself and others by memorizing new pop songs off the radio; you learn them, you hear them on the radio and sign along, It gets caught in your head and you remember the signs. Signing and singing have the same letters after all!
I love all of my deaf friends and they're signing-swears.
People get pissed at me when I accidentally sign when I talk... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:20 pm
Diabetic-kun
Ahh, the good old ASL. It's really not hard if you know how to do it, I taught myself and others by memorizing new pop songs off the radio; you learn them, you hear them on the radio and sign along, It gets caught in your head and you remember the signs. Signing and singing have the same letters after all!
I love all of my deaf friends and they're signing-swears.
People get pissed at me when I accidentally sign when I talk... sweatdrop

But the thing you have to remember when signing songs is, if it's ASL, it's not exact English order. You can't just always sign out all the lyrics. You have to know what they really mean, then translate that to ASL word order.

It is fun to goof off that way though.  

Deppfan

Diabetic-kun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:22 pm
That's what makes it so interesting, finding new ways to sing the song and still get the point across. To be able to use your mind in such a way is so great, so refreshing. It's not just common English, it's a WHOLE OTHER LANGUAGE. Exciting isn't it?  
"FLC" Foreign Languages and Cultures

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff