Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Thank god. What idiots. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:43 am
well whatever people are realy stupid its a fact and the government may seem smart but theyre just people too or robots cheyney oh yeah he's and aliean android I just know it!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:15 am
0.o  

ZeeBunny

Dr. Awkward

Obsessive Cultist

10,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:23 am
Mrs Nightshade
I just read it on CNN news.
Oh! That explains it. If you want t know what's going on, without all the fear mongering, I suggest you look for an online European news paper. In absence of that, try http://www.japantoday.com. If you gotten it from any source other than American newspapers, you would know that these so-called "terrorists" were really entrapped, that the arrest was not justified and that those guys couldn't have blown up a bottle of club soda if they had access to a paint shaker.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:52 am
katsuhaiabi
Mrs Nightshade
Oh! That explains it. If you want t know what's going on, without all the fear mongering, I suggest you look for an online European news paper. In absence of that, try http://www.japantoday.com. If you gotten it from any source other than American newspapers, you would know that these so-called "terrorists" were really entrapped, that the arrest was not justified and that those guys couldn't have blown up a bottle of club soda if they had access to a paint shaker.
mentos work too.... then try capping it witha full pack in there then it will explode...  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

Dr. Awkward

Obsessive Cultist

10,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:59 am
FFXIsKegan
katsuhaiabi
Mrs Nightshade
mentos work too.... then try capping it witha full pack in there then it will explode...
True, true. It's just that those people couldn't EVEN have done that. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together could have blown up that building before the FBI could have known anything. They weren't good people, mind you, but they were NO terrorists.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:26 am
My dads side lives in Champagne Illinois and probably lives in Villa grove Illinois. I too never heard about it.  

Jacqueeeeline

Strideo
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:44 am
katsuhaiabi
FFXIsKegan
katsuhaiabi
Mrs Nightshade
True, true. It's just that those people couldn't EVEN have done that. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together could have blown up that building before the FBI could have known anything. They weren't good people, mind you, but they were NO terrorists.

Conspiring to commit a major criminal act is a crime Katsu, regardless of competence. It doesn't matter wether they could do what they intended but rather that they would if given the opportunity.
The truth is these men had murder in their hearts so don't you dare try to garner sympathy for these people who had pipe dreams of killing thousands of innocent people. mad  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:53 am
Strideo
katsuhaiabi
FFXIsKegan
katsuhaiabi
Mrs Nightshade

Conspiring to commit a major criminal act is a crime Katsu, regardless of competence. It doesn't matter wether they could do what they intended but rather that they would if given the opportunity.
The truth is these men had murder in their hearts so don't you dare try to garner sympathy for these people who had pipe dreams of killing thousands of innocent people. mad
If conspiring to commit a criminal act is a crime, don't you think the FBI informant who recruited those men should go to jail too? Since when did entrapment stop being a criminal act? I'm no fan of conspiracy, and these were not good men, but they did nothing wrong. Yes, they would if given the opportunity, but do you think people should start arresting for thought crimes? If so, most of us should go to jail for contemplating assault and battery.  

Dr. Awkward

Obsessive Cultist

10,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100

Khalida Nyoka
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:58 am
It is very hard to find actual physical evidence of anyone hiring someone. If he did hire them, and there is enough proof that he did so, then yes. The informant should. However, this country bases all of its guilty verdicts behind the idea of "beyond the shadow of a doubt". Not all judges and jurrors follow this idea, but they are expected to. The more severe the case, the more and less likely of that occuring.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:09 pm
katsuhaiabi
Strideo
katsuhaiabi
FFXIsKegan
katsuhaiabi
Mrs Nightshade

If conspiring to commit a criminal act is a crime, don't you think the FBI informant who recruited those men should go to jail too? Since when did entrapment stop being a criminal act? I'm no fan of conspiracy, and these were not good men, but they did nothing wrong. Yes, they would if given the opportunity, but do you think people should start arresting for thought crimes? If so, most of us should go to jail for contemplating assault and battery.

Can you tell me in what regard this informant "recruited" these men? It is my understanding that these guys were seeking a means to do harm by enlisting the material or financial aid of al qaeda.

I couldn't agree with you more on the idea of thought crimes, however there is a difference between thinking "Gee, I would like to rob that bank" and actually planning to and seeking a method to do so.  

Strideo
Crew

Khalida Nyoka
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:10 pm
Adding to my previous post:

It is also a possibility that the nation is currently witholding prosecution of the informant because they had been helpful at another time, or they think he might be. In the case that he is helpful in the future, they want him/her to be happy and willing to share the information. If not, then they will likely be picked at a later date, accused, and sent for trial.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:11 pm
If you folks want a somewhat more trust worthy source than myself, why don't you read this article?  

Dr. Awkward

Obsessive Cultist

10,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100

Khalida Nyoka
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:22 pm
it still sounds like they were going to act... they just didn't pay enough attention with whom they were dealing.

i wouldn't necessarily say entrapment... though it is close. The informant did not trick them into doing anything, merely made them think they had support.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:26 pm
The article you have provided doesn't make any mention of the FBI entrapping any would be terrorists. It does cover the opinions of several people who work at the Sears Tower and report on hoaxes prior to the current incident involving the Miami group, but it doesn't report this latest threat as a hoax. In all I can't say I find much to disagree with in the article.  

Strideo
Crew

Dr. Awkward

Obsessive Cultist

10,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:30 pm
Khalida Nyoka
it still sounds like they were going to act... they just didn't pay enough attention with whom they were dealing.

i wouldn't necessarily say entrapment... though it is close. The informant did not trick them into doing anything, merely made them think they had support.
Look closer. He made those kids pledge an oath of allegiance to Al-Qaeda. I doubt they would have acted; they had no real connection to Al-Qaeda, they had no access to any kind of explosives and they don't know how to make them. It was really nothing more than smoke, much less anything to worry about.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff