Submit

alchemy?
  :)
  :(
View Results

Dreamer Aura Laforest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:46 pm
nacho 777
you guys are tying FMA into this waaaay too much. in there, it makes no sense....i like to consider it a modernkind of alchemy.
when i say equivelent exchange, i mean, for example, the burning of a log would give you heat. or when someone dies, someone else is born.....that type of thing mrgreen .

Isn't everything like that? It's not just Alchemy or Lavoisier, everything is cause-consequence.

Personally, I find alchemy rather spooky and never try to do it. Writting "EMET" on a stone tongue and get a golem? Nice, but how do you control the golem? You let it work work and work, then take its tongue out, erase the "E" to get "MET" and it becomes a pile of rock again. Wow. Thanks, but I think it's easier to do the work myself. Getting all the rocks and writing and erasing the magical word will probably take more time and effort.

It's like the gold-making. Someone did make gold, but the cost was much more than the gold's worth. Why don't we just build a gold-finder instead?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:57 pm
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel.........achemist aprentice here........you screw all of your lil theories.........i know the facts .......both magic and science part..............mauahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...........im serious stare  

RONIN_13X

[Kuro senshi]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:53 pm
nacho 777
............... nothing ever happens without something else happenig in the opposite meaning. an equal passing of an action regarding another......

a.k.a. : equal exchange! xd when u give something up 4 something else!

wut r YOU'RE theorys???

karma?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:06 pm
nacho 777
............... nothing ever happens without something else happenig in the opposite meaning. an equal passing of an action regarding another......

a.k.a. : equal exchange! xd when u give something up 4 something else!

wut r YOU'RE theorys???

stare
I love Fullmetal Alchemist just as much as anyone else, but I have sense to research.
Alchemy was done a LONG time ago by people who wanted to be rich. In despair, they did "Magic" and Chemisty ((really)) to transform other worthless metal to silver or gold, or whatever currency they used.

That's what I learned, if you have another history report...
post it stare  

Jamais Vu Experience

Demonic Pup

shadow_demon_Kyo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:50 pm
Back in the Medeivil times, peasants were payed large amounts of gold to transform substances such as lead into gold. They never succeded no matter how many times they've tried.

I do agree that the law of equivalent exchange should be followed but often is not. If someone is willing to give up something important to them for another thing, then go ahead, wish upon a star. If not, then whats the point of wishing upon a star if your going to lose something valuable.

i'm studying alchemy but i've currently had to umm...stop for a bit... but i'm getting into it again.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:54 am
dreamer_aura_laforest
nacho 777
you guys are tying FMA into this waaaay too much. in there, it makes no sense....i like to consider it a modernkind of alchemy.
when i say equivelent exchange, i mean, for example, the burning of a log would give you heat. or when someone dies, someone else is born.....that type of thing mrgreen .

(edited)
Isn't everything like that? It's not just Alchemy or Lavoisier, everything is cause-consequence.

To start off, equivalent exchage doesn't exist, in my opinion.

Equivalent exchange basically ONLY works in Chemistry, but then again, it doesn't. Only example that comes to mind right now is like with Atomic bombs and stuff. All you have to do is split one single atom, and you got a massive explosive reaction. Little effort and big bang.

Okay, I agree with the wood thing, but we should all know about the 'when someone dies, someone else is born' is just idealistic, and not everything is cause-consequence.

Some people NEVER have to work for anything, and have everything, while other people kill themselves to just barely scrape by. If the exchange was REALLY equivilent, the people with everything would be the ones that kill themselves.

Just a thought.

Princess Shiiori

Charitable Millionaire

10,225 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Millionaire 200

Dreamer Aura Laforest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:17 pm
princess_shiiori

To start off, equivalent exchage doesn't exist, in my opinion.

Equivalent exchange basically ONLY works in Chemistry, but then again, it doesn't. Only example that comes to mind right now is like with Atomic bombs and stuff. All you have to do is split one single atom, and you got a massive explosive reaction. Little effort and big bang.

Okay, I agree with the wood thing, but we should all know about the 'when someone dies, someone else is born' is just idealistic, and not everything is cause-consequence.

Some people NEVER have to work for anything, and have everything, while other people kill themselves to just barely scrape by. If the exchange was REALLY equivilent, the people with everything would be the ones that kill themselves.

Just a thought.

No, it's not equivalent as in fair, but it is cause-consequence. If we get a massive explosion (consequence), it's because there was energy in that atom (cause). When one existences ends (death of an animal), another starts (this is now a corpse). Some people are born with everything (consequence) because their parents were rich (cause). It's not fair, but it is cause-consequence. Nothing exists alone.

Sad.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:25 pm
EXACTLY!!...lol. no seriously though.  

shadow_demon_Kyo

[~.Fallangel.~]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:22 am
Alchemy is like a cross between magic and science. You use formulas and such to turn one element into another but there is no real explination on how it happens.

And personally I don't think you can turn lead into gold with Alchemy or science and magic hasn't been proven to exist so we don't know if they can us spells or potions or something to turn the lead into gold.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:23 am
dreamer_aura_laforest
nacho 777

Personally, I find alchemy rather spooky and never try to do it. Writting "EMET" on a stone tongue and get a golem? Nice, but how do you control the golem? You let it work work and work, then take its tongue out, erase the "E" to get "MET" and it becomes a pile of rock again. Wow. Thanks, but I think it's easier to do the work myself. Getting all the rocks and writing and erasing the magical word will probably take more time and effort.

It's like the gold-making. Someone did make gold, but the cost was much more than the gold's worth. Why don't we just build a gold-finder instead?

Agree...  

[~.Fallangel.~]

Dirzdra

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:02 pm
Grypesagon
When a person dies there is not an equivalent burst of life.

Actually, the growth rate is kinda higher than the death rate. Even still, the start of life and end of life have very little to do with each other. Or, if you want to think in a more spiritual view about it, there is reincarnation. No soul is ever started or ends because, once the life ends, it will, at some point in time, start anew. I don't believe this, but it works to connect the start and end.

Grypesagon
If you light something on fire and burn it to the ground something else isn't constructed.

This is a ridiculous statement. What is burned is turned into energy. I'm not giving some BS answer, either. Rub your hands together enough and you'll feel heat. That heat is energy produced by friction. That energy never disappears, either. The atoms simply spread apart, giving the illusion of creating and and disappearing energy. Not to mention the gases that comes from burning something.

Also, don't forget the ashes. Even though it may not be "nice and shiny," it is physically making the object into something else even though the atoms are the same.

Yes, you have permission to make me look like an idiot, after all I'm only 16 and sleeping in my science class.

nacho 777

From my understanding, you got it wrong. The certain atoms used in an atomic bomb actually holds mass amounts of energy. When the atom is split and the energy released, it also manipulates other atoms around it, causing a domino effect. Of course this energy can only expand so far because it is never being created or destroyed. It's like a light, spreading and thinning. That energy will stay there for quite some time, too. Of course, radiation poisoning isn't unyheard of. Also, the size has very little to do with anything, and that's all your saying.

nacho 777

As I have said before, why does everyone assume that the start and end of life are related. The only way the could be is through reincarnation, which I don't believe in anyways.

nacho 777

I don't get your explanation. You're not talking about any sort of exchange, you're comparing two dramatically different lifestyles.

Also, no one could ever possibly have everything in a literal sense. Where is the rich people's experience that the poor have gained???

princess_shiiori
No, it's not equivalent as in fair, but it is cause-consequence. If we get a massive explosion (consequence), it's because there was energy in that atom (cause). When one existences ends (death of an animal), another starts (this is now a corpse). Some people are born with everything (consequence) because their parents were rich (cause). It's not fair, but it is cause-consequence. Nothing exists alone.

Sad.

I agree with you completely!!

As for the topic at hand, I have learn that alchemy is about change.

It's also a very early form of Chemistry.

Turning one thing into something of a different element is impossible, but the atoms can be manipulated into changing to appear and function as something else even though it still contains the same atoms. Hence the term equivilent exchange. I would consider photosynthesis and respiration good examples of this.

I've heard the idea of the philosopher's stone has actually existed for centuries. Now, a simple object that is able to defeat equivilent exchange is and always has been a fantasy. Now, does anyone remember the name of the guy that claimed to have made the philosopher's stone with his wife and is currently believed to have lived for centuries by many??? I know he was used in Harry Potter, but my head is in the clouds today.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:33 am
I don't no anything about what your talking about, but my little brother likes full metal alchemist but I don't think that has the same meaning... sweatdrop  

QueenAngel242

ohemgeefersure

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:32 pm
alchemy the mix of science and magic belief and logic to hope to break through the natural laws of the universe to unlock the secrets of the world  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:00 am
yes.. when we want something that badly.. it is a must that we sacrifice something which is of equivalent value of that matter...
hence this form of balnce of nature gives us the sense of limitations.. we cannot rule everything on our hands at the same time.. and we must always know what we want.. and never regret it once we've claimed it...

Ok let's face it.. life is not that easy.. so don't just chill out... work hard everyone... but don't forget to enjoy it too lol  

chronoramb

[Don Quixote]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:56 pm
This thread has everything to do with philosophy!  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff