Reply "FLC" Foreign Languages and Cultures
Sarcasm? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

cjrox10045

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:15 am
well sarcasm , in my opinion was created by the lords of humor, irony, and all other such languages including cold shoulder, obvious, and even stupidity, they are the one the only MONTY PYTHON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but seriuosly, I speak sarcasm, some french, and 'the tounge' a language made by yours truly, it consists of written and oral communication, but anywas, I simply love sarcasm, my mom always gets mad at me when i mouth her off in 'the tounge' and calls me ignorent which just sets me off on her for the improper use of the english language.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:41 pm
Chiru-pon
Ulterior_Motives
Different...Very.
Is sarcasm a universal thing? I'll have to watch some foreign films to lose my ignorance to this, but where did sarcasm origin? Is is most prominent in America or some other country? Hmmmmm.....

I'm not really sure. I know there's alot of sarcasm in the british comedies I watch, and it's obviously used alot in America.

It's not used at all in Asia, or at least Japan. I had to watch how I used it, because every time I did, they thought I was being sinscere. V-V

That's not true at all. You probably just suck at it. Because whenever I smack talk my mom in Chinese, she says, "Don't be sarcastic." And my Japanese friends do it all the time.

First, don't be rude. This is a discussion. What I said was based off my my experiences. I drew my own conclusions due to my ideas and interpritations of the conversations I held in Japan. You have your own experiences. No one is completly right or wrong.

My parents were commenting about how sarcastic I was at the age of 10. I don't suck at it.

I was in Japan, and they definatly didn't get it. Some of my classmates tried to be "sarcastic" by telling me their siblings went to Harvard and such, but that was a bunch of goofy freshman. I even asked my school's JET and another teacher who had gotten her degree in America about it, and they both agreed that barely anyone used sarcasm. Akiko-san said that moving back to the conservative Japan was quite a shock, and even years after moving back, she still has to tell people she's joking when she's being sarcastic. Maybe it's different in the big cities, but no one seemed to get it where I lived.

My Japanese teacher, after 13 years in America doesn't understand sarcasm. My friend and I were being sarcastic talking about the summer reading, and she sincerly commented on how lovely it is that we get into our homework. We leanred hella quickly not to be sarcastic about homework, because she takes us seriously and amps up the load.

Honestly, using sarcasm over the internet is difficult. There's no inflection of voice or change in tone, which are the biggest hints at sarcasm. Unless you capitalize, bold, or underline certain words. Emotes definatly help too... It's easier with people you know, because you've heard their voice and how they vary tone.  

Ulterior_Motives

Different...Very.

Distinct Dabbler

16,000 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Team Josie 25
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:26 am
Ulterior_Motives
Different...Very.
Is sarcasm a universal thing? I'll have to watch some foreign films to lose my ignorance to this, but where did sarcasm origin? Is is most prominent in America or some other country? Hmmmmm.....

I'm not really sure. I know there's alot of sarcasm in the british comedies I watch, and it's obviously used alot in America.

It's not used at all in Asia, or at least Japan. I had to watch how I used it, because every time I did, they thought I was being sinscere. V-V
Lol. Your last post was so interesting that my eyes flew right past it... from reading it so fast.

No, but seriously, it's too long, and too early in the morning (for me) to read paragraphs.

Chiru-pon: Are they in Japan? Or Japanese-Americans? Or something...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:18 am
Ulterior_Motives

I don't know... I know they use sarcasm in anime and manga. But then, it's not that unusual in anime for characters to get in a huge argument in public, or for grownups to be wearing shorts, etc. (Things which would not go over well in real-life Japan.)  

Arachnakid

Arachnakid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:29 am
1.) ADD (As far as I can tell, this is it's own language lol. Nobody who isn't ADD can attempt to follow it.)
2.) Sister (My sister has language issues, 'nuff said)
3.) English
4.) Spanish
5.) ...I don't speak Sarcasm. exclaim hint hint exclaim It too closely resembles the local dialect of Stupidity.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:16 am
Arachnakid
Ulterior_Motives

I don't know... I know they use sarcasm in anime and manga. But then, it's not that unusual in anime for characters to get in a huge argument in public, or for grownups to be wearing shorts, etc. (Things which would not go over well in real-life Japan.)

Be careful of translations, in my experience, the sarcasm is a device the translators used to convey the original intent if the direct translation seems awkward or strange do to culture or just differences in language.  

Ulterior_Motives

mommadee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:42 am
Nogoal113400
My first language is Sarcasm, my second is English and 3rd is Spanish

my first language consists of one word, that NO ! my second 2 phrases : Because i said so! and I dont care what your daddy said!
And my 3rd consists of phases like "go to bed~! and its your turn to do the dishes! and no no no no NO!!!!!!! hmmmm like the pattern ????? lol
3 kids under 8 and 2 teenagers in the house wonder where i devoloped these "languages??!?!?!?!?!??!  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:13 pm
Haha, awesome topic. Yes, sarcasm is pretty high on my list, 1 or 2.  

Graysin13

Cyrstiana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:37 am
me

1) sacrasm
2)English
3) my own language which are words like "nea," "eh" poking, and other random stuff i do.
4)Spanglish
5) Spanish (that i'm trying to learn)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:05 pm
My entire family is fluent in sarcasm and dry humor. It's a real laugh fest at reunions when they're not completely snockered.  

SinginginSilence

"FLC" Foreign Languages and Cultures

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces