Reply "PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §
I'm honestly confused. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Can you? (Read my post first)
  Yes, it makes sense to me.
  No. If You're a Christian, you can't just pick and choose what you want to believe out of the Bible.
  Dunno/other
View Results

nacho 777

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:41 pm
i like what she just wrote! 3nodding 3nodding 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:16 am
I will just say. If it is between believing all the things god says, all the things in the bible and fallowing it all to a T, or going to hell.

I would rather go to Hell.

I refuse to fallow a god that condems a good person just because that person does not believe in that god.

Anyway, at least in Hell I can ATTEMPT and probally FAIL miserably at taking over.  

Kenutsu Yasashiku

Shedowolf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:07 pm
You can believe anything you want whether you pick and choose it or create something all your own.

Out of all the religions only one or maybe even none are true. It is impossible to know which one is the correct one, so you're not doing anything worse than not being born into Christianity and believing a different religion.

It is silly to get into arguements or to be in despair about a religion, because you can never know if one is correct. It is just as likely that a religion is wrong as it is that it's true.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:24 am
some fundies do think they know more of the mind of god than the deity does himself.

our sect has a bible hierarchy of how seriously we treat things.

first comes the sermon on the mount, then the rest of the gospels. we take those as seriously as possible, which is why we refuse to swear an oath or go to war.

then comes the rest of the new teatament.

after that are the prophets, then the wisdom writings like the psalms, then the law, and finally the histories.

that way we don't get bound by things like god telling his people to wipe out every man woman child, goat and cow in an enemy village, for instance.  

beaulolais

strange_dreams_512

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:44 pm
I don't know if this will help or not, but I thought I might mention:
God as the Creator of the universe has all authority as well as sovereignty to tell us how to live our lives. He gave us free will. It doesn't mean that he appreciates everything that everybody does with their life, but at least he gives us the ability and right to make decisions for ourselves. That's for ourselves though. When it comes to worshiping God, he gets to say how he wants to be worshiped. You believe that the bible is God's word, right? Well which translation of the bible can we trust? Obviously not all of them are right...that would be contradictory. If everything in a bible makes sense and the scriptures are in complete harmony with one another then you can expect that what it says is true. I think it's really frustrating that there are so many religions ((not pointing fingers)) that are watered down and mainly there to please the people...as in keep them at church instead of home watching football on Sunday. The original purpose by people's standards is to praise God...not simply for the purpose of being recognized for being in a certain group or not for the purpose of having spirituality in your life. What it all comes down to though, once again, is decisions. If someone decides that the bible is a fairy tale book or someone decides that one person's interpretation of the scriptures is wrong...well, obviously there's going to be conflict among people. Have you ever heard of Zealots? They killed people and their reasons was for the sake of their faith. Do you think that God was on their side when they were doing so? Like I said before there are some things that are unacceptable to God. Also like I said though, he wouldn't give us free will for no reason. We make a lot of our own decisions. It doesn't seem that your teacher at your school was respecting your decisions at all. So there are going to be things that you decide that people disagree with and vice versa. That's a given. Whatever you decide, I would encourage you to examine your decisions carefully so that you don't make a wrong turn. I wish you luck.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:46 pm
spiffyelgato
I go to a Christian school. In this school, they often say things like "If all the non-Christians knew God's love, they would be Christians (which I already don't totally agree with)

Well, I believe that Jesus is the son of God and he died on the cross for our sins. But I don't 100% know if I want to associate myself with it. It seems that most people think that Christians have to be either for or against God. but I don't agree with many things in the Bible. And in many cases, i'll denty what God says (just how is homosexuality wrong?).

People frequently say to me "You can't just pick and choose what you want to believe in the Bible!" Which I generally respond to by saying "Watch me".

I had a conversation with a teacher that went kinda like this the other day:

Teacher:Megan, do you KNOW that you will go to Heaven.
Me:I don't know, that's God's descision.
Teacher:Well, are you a Christian?
Me:I don't know. I like to think that I am, but there are plenty of bible things I don't agree with.
Teacher:Like what?
Me:Like homosexuality. People can do what they want, nothings wrong with that.
Teacher:But it's GOD'S will that they ot.
Me :*scauffing* Because we're all the experts on what GOD wants, right?
Same with people who ae of differnt religions: They don't deserve Hell for that. You shouldn't be damned for choosing the wrong lottery numbers; what religion you choose is your choice. Do whatt feels right.
Teacher:I'm sure some MURDERERS thought what THEY were doing was right.
Me biggrin id you just compare love and religion to murder?

LOng story short, she told me me& my non-christian friends were going to Hell if we didn't shape up. Eventually , this happened..

Teacher:I'll pray for you.
Me:Why? Nothings wrong, i'm fine.
Teacher:Your spiritial life isn't fine.
Me:Frankly, you don't have the authority to tell me about my life.

What do you think? Can you BELIEVE something like this is true, and still seperate yourself from it?

I've been considered Atheist in my school because I have the same views you do. And I have pointed out some flaws in the Bible, which makes me a satanist?!
I've spoken openly with my family and friends about this. I've been indifferent and argue about somethings. And if you seen the movie DOGMA really points out alot of things that you really had to ponder about.
And my mother said to me after we talked about religions and God(s), "I don't care if you convert to another religion or change Gods, as long as you have faith, that is what I think is really important." And she's right! Don't complain about your God and their God, or about after life, or anything else! Just have faith, and show love to others, and acceptance in differences.  

Jamais Vu Experience

Demonic Pup

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:12 pm
sorry i'm atheist u're like, talking to a cow(me, moo whee ) here.....

but this part:
Quote:
"You can't just pick and choose what you want to believe in the Bible!"

Well obviously the people in Rome, the church authorities were changing the bible so that it's what they want to hear, not what really happened.....  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:41 am
The thing about religion is this;
It's your belief. You can pick and choose and twist anything to your beliefs. It's yours. God is taught to be a forgiving being and I'm sure he/she/it will not mind if you skip a few parts...  

invisblebuddy

Xenephale Fairfeather

Devoted Defender

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:18 pm
I think a lot of what causes issue with the Bible is control. Elements got changed, verses added or lost, and ideals warped by the higher-ups in society as a method of controlling the masses. I find most organized religions to be a complete joke as many of them have been totally bastardized. This is all-encompassing, as I've even seen pagan "religious groups" that were pretty lame as well. I feel that believing what you feel is true embodies the ideals of the Bible because you still truly believe in God, yet at the same time you aren't denying the nature of your spirit. We believe certain things instinctively for a reason. If it doesn't sound right to us, it probably isn't. Now, I do think that it is a bad idea to be getting into arguments with your teacher, as when it boils down to it, she has a great deal of control over your comfort level while at school, but she's dead wrong. Don't let her get to you, though. I'm a Catholic school survivor, (I say this because it was a fairly extremist school) but I only recently became content with the way I believe things to be.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:46 am
I used to be Roman Catholic, so i know exactly where you're comming from. After all, look throughout history and you'll see just how serious people took thier own beliefs, such as 'Thou shalt not kill.' The Inquisition, the Crusades, the slaughter of the Native Americans that did not convert or give up, burning Wiccans and Hermetics at the stake...oh yeah, but 'Thou shalt not kill.' Christianity, I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but it has become a business, concerned with trying to force people to believe a certain way and asking for money all of the time, which by the way they don't get taxed on practically anything and the pope lives in a fricking castle of gold, marble and alabaster with artwork everywhere while some other people live in straw huts with virus-filled water streams. I'm not saying that Christianity as a faith, when followed with your heart is bad, but the whole system in power from the medieval times to today is corrupt. more people are killed 'in the name of God' throughout history and so many make a profitable living off of 'spreading the Word', it feels to me like it's nothing more than a corperate business than a religion. I am very happy now as a Kemetic Orthodox. There isn't any bs and cover-ups, the Gods and Goddesses have a direct, personal relationship with me and others, and the only time money is asked is for services that require the Nisut(AUS) to go out and purchase what is needed for the rituals and only asks for the amount to cover those costs, or for our yearly church function of taking 2 weeks to Egypt, to cover our travel, hotel and food costs.  

King Robert Silvermyst

shadow_demon_Kyo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:24 pm
I do believe that the teacher has absolutely no right to tell you what you can or cannot do. I don't agree with some things in the bible, but I'm catholic.

I was baptised Catholic, but there are holidays I don't celebrate, so does that mean I'm gonna go to hell?

I don't think that teacher remembers that theres forgivness. I mean really. I believe that the Lord will forgive you for thinking what you WANT to think. You have a right to your oppinions and that teacher NEEDS to see that.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:23 pm
Christianity is so confusing. I tend to evoid the whole thing and do whatever I want. Sometimes I'm glad that my parents never forced me to go to church.  

ArcadiaB

[~.Fallangel.~]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:50 pm
If god was really god, I believe he would want us to be ourselves and not alway follower what other people say just because they say so. Of coarse murdering people is still not right. But people should have the feedom to do what they want and not be suppressed by others.

If god wanted us to just follow what he says and not have a mind of our own then I don't think he should deserve to be called God  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:34 pm
spiffyelgato
I go to a Christian school. In this school, they often say things like "If all the non-Christians knew God's love, they would be Christians (which I already don't totally agree with)

Well, I believe that Jesus is the son of God and he died on the cross for our sins. But I don't 100% know if I want to associate myself with it. It seems that most people think that Christians have to be either for or against God. but I don't agree with many things in the Bible. And in many cases, i'll denty what God says (just how is homosexuality wrong?).

People frequently say to me "You can't just pick and choose what you want to believe in the Bible!" Which I generally respond to by saying "Watch me".

I had a conversation with a teacher that went kinda like this the other day:

Teacher:Megan, do you KNOW that you will go to Heaven.
Me:I don't know, that's God's descision.
Teacher:Well, are you a Christian?
Me:I don't know. I like to think that I am, but there are plenty of bible things I don't agree with.
Teacher:Like what?
Me:Like homosexuality. People can do what they want, nothings wrong with that.
Teacher:But it's GOD'S will that they ot.
Me :*scauffing* Because we're all the experts on what GOD wants, right?
Same with people who ae of differnt religions: They don't deserve Hell for that. You shouldn't be damned for choosing the wrong lottery numbers; what religion you choose is your choice. Do whatt feels right.
Teacher:I'm sure some MURDERERS thought what THEY were doing was right.
Me biggrin id you just compare love and religion to murder?

LOng story short, she told me me& my non-christian friends were going to Hell if we didn't shape up. Eventually , this happened..

Teacher:I'll pray for you.
Me:Why? Nothings wrong, i'm fine.
Teacher:Your spiritial life isn't fine.
Me:Frankly, you don't have the authority to tell me about my life.

What do you think? Can you BELIEVE something like this is true, and still seperate yourself from it?

And thus I've never gone to church.  

Coll Ohmsford

chobitsmangalover

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:48 pm
I agree with you completely there are things in the bible that I am not really sure about.

I agree with you there is nothing wrong with homosexuality. In addition, in my bible studies class there are many things I am questioning. I alsa agree with the person who posted the wise words that humans are sophists and everyone interpretation of the bible. THere is also alot of irrelivant thing in the old testament which don;t apply to modern life. For example in psalms there is a thing about girls being unclean every month after they have their period so wutever. I think it is good to truly examine what you believe and disbelive that is in the bible. ALso keep in mind that there are many translations of the bible circulation. Currently I am a lutheran. But, I believe than when I grow up amd get out of my parents house I want to be non-denomintaion meaning tht you believe in god but you dont have a specific type like catholic or protestant. As to regards with your teacher I do not think they have the right to tell u that your spritual life has gone awry. In conclusio I agree with yiou.  
"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff