Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "EGG" Electronics, Gizmos and Gadgets!
PC or Mac? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

counter
  +
View Results

Wolfen Gamer T.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:42 pm
i would possibly say pc, no reason, its just pc ITS LIKE PC-ISH LOL, i have no technological things i know about a computer, except that there is a monitor, tower, motherboard, fan, and disc drives lol  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:12 pm
Nadian

Linux is kind of a mysterious glob. Its kernel has many eyes on it, possibly even more than OpenBSD. Heck, I, myself, have done work in the Linux kernel. Out of experience, I can definitively say that Linux is really good for a code savy individual. Lots and lots of work has been going into making it ready for average-user use. However, I don't have enough experience with the various Linux GUIs to tell you how effective they are compared to OSX.

I can say that the XandrOS distibution is very simple to use. It automatically downloads the dependencies for a program, and just has a very simple interface that, in my opinion, is better than any other I have come across.

At the XandrOS website, you can't find the free version, but there is a free copy that is ditributed with the book Linux Made Easy.  

locke317

Okami Ameras
Crew

Evolved Mystic

27,825 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Advent Attendee 50
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:08 pm
From my experience with Macs and PC's, I'll always go for the PC. I find that Mac's are slower, cause if you take good care of your PC it will always run fast. (of course, that applies to the Mac as well-- but PC's are far easier to take care of) I also find that PC's are easier to understand and use--- plus better graphics, better sound quality, and my PC has the ability to play games that no other computer in the house can play... mrgreen Can't say ease of care for the mac. I couldn't imagine where to start to take it apart to clean it, Firefox doesn't work correctly on macs, (and face it--- Gaia works best on Firefox).  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:16 pm
User Image
---------||..::Vote For Me?::.. ||---------

Well, with Macs, you might want to get
used to it first, so download the thing
that makes a Windows desktop look
like a Mac one. After you get used to it,
you can do things easier with a Mac.
Also depends on your budget. xDD

Etoile.Heureuse

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:44 am
I love my Mac. heart

This may not be helpful in your desicion, but oh well! biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:02 pm
I have both. For games it is definetly pc but you can get parrels on the mac which lets you use windows. Now I ust go beg my parents to let me get that.  

Coll Ohmsford

Son-El 4474

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:12 pm
Nadian
randomperson4474
if you acually read what i wrote and belived it like a smart person you would know that macs arnt always faster!!!!!!!
it bothers me greatly when people dont know what they are talking about, i agree that linux s a good system nd macs are good sytems but they both can be out done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess what? A Windows machine can be out done too! Le shock! (It's like you made absolutely no valid point what-so-ever, only very very very vague claims.)

Hardware most definitely makes a huge difference, but the choice of OS is no small matter. A badly designed OS could bring your system to a halt in many different ways. Insecure OSes can introduce malware that takes up processor time. Who cares if your CPU has a quad-core 2 GHZ processor when the machine spends most of its processor time serving as a botnet. rolleyes

The very question of this thread has become confused by the fact that Apple now uses x86 chips in their laptops, meaning a new Mac is essentually the same as a PC. It's just a matter of what you want hardware-wise and OS wise. (My exploration of Mac prices suggested that Macs really aren't much more expensive than PCs.)

However, the popular commercials are really about the OSes that usually ship with these products. You have many choices, but usually they come down to the following:

-Windows
-OSX
-Linux

Windows is, by far, the bloatiest, least secured, and most locked-down of the three. Oh, but why is it the most used? Illegal monopoly practices, mostly. (It's not illegal to be a monopoly, but it is illegal to use your monopoly in anti-competitive ways, of which Microsoft continues to be found doing in court.) Unfortunately, this might mean that you need this OS, anyways. If you're primarily looking for a computer to do web and e-mail you don't need this. The main problem with getting a PC with Windows right now is Vista, possibly more secure (it sounds like it but that's a horrible metric to use) but also the most bloated and locked-down version of Windows yet.

OSX is in-between Linux and Windows in terms of ease-of-use. Apple added a GUI to OpenBSD (an open-source Unix implementation) ; this means the kernel has been around for a looooooong time and looked over by many people. People like it because it is well polished. An older Mac laptop (six years old?) is also capable of running the latest versions of Mac OSX.

Linux is kind of a mysterious glob. Its kernel has many eyes on it, possibly even more than OpenBSD. Heck, I, myself, have done work in the Linux kernel. Out of experience, I can definitively say that Linux is really good for a code savy individual. Lots and lots of work has been going into making it ready for average-user use. However, I don't have enough experience with the various Linux GUIs to tell you how effective they are compared to OSX.

It might be possible to run Windows programs under Linux and OSX... I've heard of Wine a lot... it's an attempt to emulate windows enough to run windows programs from Linux. As far as I know, it's not 100% compatable, though.

Personally, I still use Windows at home, but I will not switch to Vista (which sounds quite horrible) and if I switched to anything it'd be to Linux (since I don't plan on buying new hardware.) I've quite enjoyed using my Mac, though, and if I decided to buy a laptop in the future it'd probably be a Mac.

that is what i mean windows cn be out done as well, it is what you put into the computer, it mainly depends on the RAM, CPU, somewhat the graphics card, and the motherboard.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:47 pm
Which ever is faster, xp xp  

HappyPotato789

anisasierra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:36 pm
heart  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:31 pm
i love my mac  

ladyred69

sohnyong

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:00 pm
If you're into serious gaming, I recommend a Microsoft OS.

If you just need a computer for browsing the net, doing homework, and chatting, choose a Mac. <3<3

I hate making generalizations like these, but nyah, I'm no tech whiz and this is the best I can come up with. =DD  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:02 pm
If you want to use the internet and different files/programs alot i would go with PC. For programming/speed, use mac.  

Areaki1

zenyk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:41 pm
YES! I got my mini mac yesterday. And it's A LOT faster than my ol' computer XP and looks pretty cool.

It looked like most of you suggested mac, so I checked it out at the store.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:44 am
GNOME  

Khalida Nyoka
Vice Captain

maelene

4,850 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:56 pm
I recommend a Mac if you have the money, other wise go for a Gateway PC or laptop.  
"EGG" Electronics, Gizmos and Gadgets!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff