Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Can you define someone's soul in less than 10 words? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Freebie Gold
  Oh snap!
View Results

Ultra Sarah

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:56 pm
locke317
Sarahgal55
locke317
Sarahgal55
locke317
Sarahgal55
Prove that you have a soul.

To prove that someone does or does not have a soul, requires soul to be defined first.

Then define a soul.

That is what my question is to the person who started this thread. I don't think I could describe what a soul is. It could be a person's personality, or it could be something that does not manifest itself often in everyday living.

I think that once you prove you have a soul, you will be able to define. In the meantime all your thoughts are nerve impulses.

I agree that all thoughts are nerve impulses. However, how can you prove something exists without defining what it is first?

If you discovered a new animal, that was unlike anything you've ever seen, and you brought it to the zoo, you'd have proof. You wouldn't know what it was but you would know that it's there.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:59 pm
Sarahgal55
locke317
Sarahgal55
locke317
Sarahgal55

Then define a soul.

That is what my question is to the person who started this thread. I don't think I could describe what a soul is. It could be a person's personality, or it could be something that does not manifest itself often in everyday living.

I think that once you prove you have a soul, you will be able to define. In the meantime all your thoughts are nerve impulses.

I agree that all thoughts are nerve impulses. However, how can you prove something exists without defining what it is first?

If you discovered a new animal, that was unlike anything you've ever seen, and you brought it to the zoo, you'd have proof. You wouldn't know what it was but you would know that it's there.

Isn't that more of it just hasn't been named? You know that it exists because you have seen it with your own two eyes, and that is how you would define the new species. However, how could you define something that you could not see?  

locke317

Ultra Sarah

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:02 pm
locke317
Sarahgal55
locke317
Sarahgal55
locke317
Sarahgal55

Then define a soul.

Isn't that more of it just hasn't been named? You know that it exists because you have seen it with your own two eyes, and that is how you would define the new species. However, how could you define something that you could not see?

We've defined oxygen and hydrogen, haven't we? And we're starting to learn about dark matter.

I would think that a soul would have been discovered by now if it had been discovered.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:06 pm
Sarahgal55
locke317
Sarahgal55
locke317
Sarahgal55

We've defined oxygen and hydrogen, haven't we? And we're starting to learn about dark matter.

I would think that a soul would have been discovered by now if it had been discovered.

But Oxygen and Hydrogen we can see. We need powerful microscopes, but we can see them. Dark Matter, from what I know of it, is considered a hypothesis. There is not a lot of evidence supporting it to the best of my knowledge. A soul could go very well undiscovered because we have very little information about how the brain works. We know that it is electrical impulses, but we do not know how memory works, nor how personality works as well. I soul could very well be hidden in there.  

locke317

Ultra Sarah

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:11 pm
locke317
Sarahgal55
locke317
Sarahgal55
locke317
Sarahgal55

But Oxygen and Hydrogen we can see. We need powerful microscopes, but we can see them. Dark Matter, from what I know of it, is considered a hypothesis. There is not a lot of evidence supporting it to the best of my knowledge. A soul could go very well undiscovered because we have very little information about how the brain works. We know that it is electrical impulses, but we do not know how memory works, nor how personality works as well. I soul could very well be hidden in there.

Dark matter is an infernace. And so far as I can tell, so are souls. Something created to explain something that nobody really understands. Except, of course, neurologists.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:12 pm
I gotta go ... I'll try to cont. the discussion later.  

Ultra Sarah

locke317

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:13 pm
Sarahgal55
locke317
Sarahgal55
locke317
Sarahgal55

Dark matter is an infernace. And so far as I can tell, so are souls. Something created to explain something that nobody really understands. Except, of course, neurologists.

Even then, very little is known about the brain. We know what different parts of it do, but we don't know how. Truth to be told, I don't think souls exist as something that leaves the body when we die. I would classify a soul as a person's personality that makes him/her unique.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:21 am
locke317
Sarahgal55
locke317
Sarahgal55
locke317
Sarahgal55

Even then, very little is known about the brain. We know what different parts of it do, but we don't know how. Truth to be told, I don't think souls exist as something that leaves the body when we die. I would classify a soul as a person's personality that makes him/her unique.

In that way a soul exists, coexisting with every part of the mind that makes you "human". But it isn't seperate or otherworldly or anything.  

Ultra Sarah

locke317

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:20 pm
Sarahgal55
locke317
Sarahgal55
locke317
Sarahgal55

In that way a soul exists, coexisting with every part of the mind that makes you "human". But it isn't seperate or otherworldly or anything.

Yes, but we do not know if that part is otherworldly or not. That is the big question. It may be hardwired into the brain, or it may be something seperate that is otherworldly. We have no proof either way.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:47 am
if the human body is just impulses then why do we have such strong emotions like fear, hatred, love, regret etc. if their was no soul in your body you would be a empty shell kinda like a zombie, but humans have a self reilization which means they know they exsist and where their place is in the world. that is how i know souls exsists  

idiotic randomness

Ultra Sarah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:29 pm
dreams into nights yami
if the human body is just impulses then why do we have such strong emotions like fear, hatred, love, regret etc. if their was no soul in your body you would be a empty shell kinda like a zombie, but humans have a self reilization which means they know they exsist and where their place is in the world. that is how i know souls exsists

Scientists have discovered the hormones that cause those feelings.  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:54 am
the you who deeply senses your existence

that to me is what soul is

feeling and self awareness

the greek word translated in the Bible as "soul" is actually psyche. which should give us a clue.

it's not a thing to be measured and observed, but to be felt and experienced.  

chessiejo

Tanguerro

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:03 pm
Pure. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:00 pm
Defining my soul. All I have to do is list my spiritual Mother (Creator of my ba (true soul), and my Beloveds (Those who help form my personality))

Child of Sekhmet-Hethert, Beloved of Amun, Djehuty, and Wepwawet-Yinepu

From there, you'll have to learn about those listed Netjeru to actually try to piece together my personality and idea of 'soul'  

King Robert Silvermyst

Raige No Kaze

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:00 pm
I think that a soul is one of five parts that make up a person. Body, heart, mind, soul and dreams.

To define a soul completely is impossible.. I doubt you'll ever find a definition that everyone will agree with... this is just my thought.

Body - The shell that allows you to move

Heart - Your emotions. - that which you feel.

Mind - The part of you that stores your experiences.. that remembers what you are taught.

Soul - That which makes you 'You'. (Without it, you're nothing but the shell)

Dreams - that which gives you a reason to live.. without dreams, the soul has nothing to breathe.

It's my belief. Without the other four things, each individual part doesn't seem to work.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff