Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
What's scarier: Eternal life, or death? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ultra Sarah

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:10 pm
locke317
I just thought of something. So, now that we live forever, what is our motivation for doing anything. We have all the time in the world to do whatever we want, but what is there to motivate us to do anything?

We would motivate our selves ... just like we do now.  
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:55 pm
Ultra Sarah
locke317
I just thought of something. So, now that we live forever, what is our motivation for doing anything. We have all the time in the world to do whatever we want, but what is there to motivate us to do anything?

No, we do not really motivate ourselves. If you really think about it, it usually comes down to time. I want to do well in school. Why? Because that will let me get a high paying job. Why do I want a high paying job? So I can buy things, and retire. Why do I want to retire? Because I want to enjoy the time that I have and not have to work for very long. I don't think that we really do motivate ourselves at all.  

locke317

Ultra Sarah

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:37 pm
locke317
Ultra Sarah
locke317

No, we do not really motivate ourselves. If you really think about it, it usually comes down to time. I want to do well in school. Why? Because that will let me get a high paying job. Why do I want a high paying job? So I can buy things, and retire. Why do I want to retire? Because I want to enjoy the time that I have and not have to work for very long. I don't think that we really do motivate ourselves at all.

YOU want a high paying job. YOU want things. YOU want to retire.  
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:39 pm
Ultra Sarah
locke317
Ultra Sarah
locke317

YOU want a high paying job. YOU want things. YOU want to retire.

Yes, but don't the majority of people want to retire at some point in time? I was just using myself as an example.  

locke317

xiaryth

6,250 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:48 pm
well in my case what would motivate me to live are basically the need/my wish to see new things, meet knew people, and learn. For some reason those are my priorities in life, I just want to do that since I often feel like everything seems to be the same and if I do those things it might make my life more interesting/fun.  
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:55 am
As I see it so far, the people who love new things and exploration will like living forever.  

Ultra Sarah

minka18

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:33 pm
eternal life.. ok it doesn't sound so bad for the whole learning and going everywhere speech. BUT heck i don't want to live forever if i have to see everyone i love just die.

and if everyone was to have eternal life.. we would over populate the earth even if we find another planet we would over populate it as well.

so no way to eternal life.

I WILL RATHER DIE xp  
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:09 am
And the people who are afraid to lose some friends every hundred years would rather die.  

Ultra Sarah

minka18

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:07 pm
Ultra Sarah

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:25 pm
As I see it so far, the people who love new things and exploration will like living alone forever

Ultra Sarah

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:39 pm
And the people who are afraid to lose loved ones every hundred years would rather die.

see, you yourself got the answer ( made some corrections)  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:41 pm
Um .... okay. (This is to minka, by the ways.)

I wouldn't like living alone. But I think that at least after the first couple hundred years that you would get used to people dying. Even those you love dearly. People die all the time. It's just something we have to get used to. It's not that bad. It's been happening for ever, and will continue to happen and happen to you. I mean ... I'd rather not die, but I know it's gonna happen. As long as you don't dwell on your loved ones deaths, you'll be okay, make new friends, and be happy living for ever.

Also ... the point of this discussion is not that everybody would live forever ... just you. I realize that we would overpopulate.

(There's a good sci-fi about that. I don't remember what it's called though. But the scientists made the "rejoo"-the stuff that is injected in you to make you live forever- stop reproducability. So some people would go off of rejoo and have babies, but they'd be killed. That's the premise ... not the story. The story is interesting too ... but anyways ...)

So would you live forever if one person of your choice could live with you forever?  

Ultra Sarah

minka18

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:12 pm
mms, you will probable get used to your love ones dying i agree with that. but if you get use to it then... you will end up having no feelings at all, which is good if your going to leave forever.

so no, even i had a person of my choice to live with me forever, i wouldn't.
i would probably end up losing the feelings i have for that person or get born of them eventually.

and well, what is the point of living forever and knowing everything if your not going to be able to find out what is after death?.

(about the show, i think i saw some episodes, i can't quite remember though)  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:39 pm
I don't believe there is anything after death so why should I care? But that might be important to some people.

I don't think you wouldn't have feelings if you got used to death. You can still be sad, but you wouldn't dwell on it. People die around us all the time too. But we have feelings. It's not common, doesen't happen every day, but it happens.

(It's not a show. It's a short story. ^^ It's called Pop Squad. I remembered.)  

Ultra Sarah

chessiejo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:04 am
death to me means peace and release.

life can be rewarding but the longer you live the more burdensome it gets.

eventually everything would get stale, repetitive and boring.

you would be too tired and feeble to work, your money would run out, you would be poor and helpless...forever?

and if not, how are you going to arrange it so that none of those bad things happen?

look at the world; everything dies, even mountains. it's how things are made, it's nature.  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:46 pm
chessiejo
death to me means peace and release.

life can be rewarding but the longer you live the more burdensome it gets.

eventually everything would get stale, repetitive and boring.

you would be too tired and feeble to work, your money would run out, you would be poor and helpless...forever?

and if not, how are you going to arrange it so that none of those bad things happen?

look at the world; everything dies, even mountains. it's how things are made, it's nature.

Be smart about yourself and it won't happen.

And ... I know everything dies. But that's not the point of this discussion.  

Ultra Sarah

locke317

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:43 pm
chessiejo
you would be too tired and feeble to work

That is a good question. Are we hypothetically aging slower, or does our body still age at the same rate as normal?  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff