Whats your opinion on Time Travel? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:42 pm
meleny7
ive had this discussion in the past with some friends, and we came to the conclusion that there is a present. by present we mean what is happening right now it doesnt really have to have a time. yes a few second ago was the past and a few minutes from now will be the future but there is a present. just had to get that out of my chest please dont flame me sweatdrop just sharing knowledge. as for time machines my opinion is that its possible. the only problem is that if it happens we will all be screwed and then that will lead to the end of the world(most likely) sweatdrop

no, you are absolutely correct! even if one *could* travel back in time physically, once they're there guess what... it's the present for them. no matter where you are it's the present moment. dates dont matter, they're not real anyway. 'time' is a human concept that measures change. nature doesnt keep time, only we do. we might have a date set on the calander as to when the first day of a new season is, but nature isnt going to necessarily go by that. it will change when it's good and ready to. it has no agenda.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:40 pm
Alright!!^_^ i thought i didnt make any sense right after i wrote it sweatdrop  

Anabethe

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:16 am
meleny7
Alright!!^_^ i thought i didnt make any sense right after i wrote it sweatdrop

it made perfect sense. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:51 pm
That is a good idea. I will time travel from now on. No need to wait for the arrival of magical equipment or machines. IT all goes on in our mind!  

Duchessa

2,250 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:08 am
Duchessa
That is a good idea. I will time travel from now on. No need to wait for the arrival of magical equipment or machines. IT all goes on in our mind!

I'd rather be in the present. it's where life is really happening.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:39 pm
I've got to jump in and weigh in, here. Before I get started, this is my first post in "Why Not?" and I'm pleased to be here. It's good to be here. Now, on to matters at hand:

There have been several misconceptions made here pertaining to the actual, observed fabric of space-time. First, I'll attempt to address each of these in turn, then put forth corrections, along with reference material, where available. Once that is established, I'll offer up my hypotheses regarding space-time, as well as my hypotheses on travel through time.

Please recognize that some of the things I'm stating here will be redundant, but in order to try and get all of the pieces together in one place, I feel that this is necessary, that I might have a proper stepping-off point for further discussion in this conversation.

Current Misconceptions:

--- "Everyone says time travel is impossible, but we're constantly performing it."

This is correct, in that we are physically passing through time. We are constantly traveling over time. The four dimensions of measurement as currently understood are height, width, depth, and time. We can see how high something is, how wide it is, how far into our frame of reference it travels, and we can see it act over those distances over time. By the very nature of physical existence, we have to be capable of moving forward with time just to be able to interact with our surroundings.

When people discuss 'time travel,' however, most of them are talking about being able to interact with time. Given a drawing of a plane in three dimensions, we can change our vertical or horizontal position. We can how far out we are on that plane.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. We're able to move around within that three dimensional space. What allows that movement, though? How do we actually move from one point to another? As the movement within those three dimensions, it is allowed by time--the stringing together of several physical events, and keeping them in a sequence--but we lack the ability to interface with time.

To continue my talking points, I will work with the assumption that the term "time travel" in fact references "the individual's ability to interface with and make changes to their position within the dimension of time." This is generally agreeable with the original post's statement that, "Everyone says time travel is impossible, but we're constantly performing it," and "People always think of time traveling as going to the dinosaur age or to the future and seeing flying cars and s**t like that."
--- The truth is, every second of our lives we are both in the past and future. There is no present. That’s just the name we give to the act of both being in the past and future at once.

This is most certainly not the truth. As defined by science, neither the past nor the future exist, as they have no physical being, cannot be observed, and cannot be interacted with. The only thing that does exist is the present, and we can only perceive the immediate. We can perceive nothing before us or past us, not even events that are only one yoctosecond from happening, or only happened a single yoctosecond before. We have memories, which are physical changes to the neurons in our brain, which store sensory data for use. When those neurons are called upon, they send signals to other parts of the brain to recall a past event. The only thing with which we can interact is what is immediately, precisely, here and now.
--- So if you have memories of even a few seconds ago, you been to the past.

I merely want to point out that this is either a dramatic, figurative statement, or grammatically incorrect. Based upon a scientific understanding of time, people's memory grant some recognition of having been IN the past, but not TO the past. To have been TO the past, person must have left the present, visited that point in time, and returned to the present. This is not currently possible, and the very point of the discussion. I do recognize that this talking point is somewhat asinine, but it's important to remain objective.

--- It means having memories. It means being aware of the fact that you're constantly moving forward in life, constantly moving into the unknown future and leaving the past behind. The future is now, the past is now, there is no way to distinguish the difference between these. They're one and the same! The past is the future and the future is the past, the names we give to them mean nothing! ... Each second that passes was the future two seconds ago.

Again, perhaps the author is looking to be figurative in their writing. If this is the case, then scientific observation is a futile effort, and this material should be disregarded. However, given that the purpose of the thread was to offer personal opinions on time travel, hence my entry here.

It is understood that what was the future transitions into the past

(( Have to leave the house suddenly. I'll come back and finish this later. >_< ))  

Uriel of Lost Eden

Mythic-TwilighT-Venom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:59 pm
imposible tim can not be altered only ones oreception of it  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:20 pm
It's a nice idea, and good for entertainment... but it's another one of those things that HUMAN BEINGS SHOULD NOT BE MESSING WITH....
I like the original poster's thoughts on it, though....
"7  

Virtus Fierkin

350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

dark lord toilet scrubber

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:15 pm
i like this its kinda like im still living but when i die its already in the past even though its not going to happen for a a while  
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:06 pm
Nice thinking biggrin
And it's true, we should learn to appreciate the fact that we ARE already time-traveling, just not in the way you'd think it would be.  

RiziN-ergeez

"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces