Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Riddles~! Riddles~! Riddles~! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 64 65 66 67 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

RIddle?
  My brains hurts
  It tickles ya brain
View Results

Symbolism of number One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:22 pm
OK, you are confusing me. I have drawn 12 possible ways on a piece of paper. And they're all different.
For example, what about: w1, h2, w4, h1, w3, h4, w2, h3?
Or: w1, h2, w3, h1, w4, h3, w2, h4?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:27 pm
About your next question, my guess is that you can't use division, because all the combinations (i.e. 5/2 2/3 3/5 5/4) give fractions and the result is supposed to be a whole number. If you can use brackets, you could do (2+3)/5 = 1, but you didn't say anything about using brackets. Are they allowed?  

Symbolism of number One

Lightwater2520

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:04 pm
Actually, you have to use one of each sign I put below the problem. for example, 1?1?1?1?1=1
1+1-1*1/1=1
Remember order of operations.
By the way, I think you are right, there is more than those two answers to that puzzle. Sorry.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:16 pm
If those question marks signify the place where the signs should be put, and if we're supposed to use each sign once, then I'm sure there's no answer to that question.

This time, I wasn't lazy and I tested all the options that can be done if you use each sign once on the places where you put the question marks.

So, I tried:
+-*/
+-/*
+*-/
+*/-
+/-*
+/*-

-+*/
-+/*
-*+/
-*/+
-/+*
-/*+

*+-/
*+/-
*-+/
*-/+
*/+-
*/-+

/+-*
/+*-
/-+*
/-*+
/*+-
/*-+

I believe that's all. None of them gives you 3. In fact, none of them gives you a whole number. Because there's a division in each one, you always get a fraction. (Don't worry, I had the order of operations in mind.)
I thought maybe I can put a minus in front of three after the =
for example 5 ? 2 ? 3 ? 5 ? 4 = -3 but there's no question mark on that side of the equals sign. I also thought that I might start by placing a minus in front of the first 5 like -5 ? 2 ? 3 ? 5? 4 =3, but there's no question mark there either.
My last idea was that I should omit putting a sign somewhere, like
52+3-54 = 1 but I couldn't get a 3 that way, and you put a question mark in between each two digits. So, I give up. sweatdrop  

Symbolism of number One

Lightwater2520

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:59 pm
It's (((5*2)-3)+5)/4=3

((10-3)+5)/4=3
(7+5)/4=3
12/4=3

Like i said, order of operations matters. note the parenthesis are for clarification purposes.

http://mathforum.org/alejandre/magic.square/4x4grid.gif

in the four by four grid above, how many perfect squares are there?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:27 am
(((5*2)-3)+5)/4=3

No fair. When I asked whether the brackets are allowed you didn't answer anything, you just said that we need to use each sign once. Without them it would be:

5*2 - 3 + 5/4= 10 - 3 + 1.25 = 8.25

The order of operations orders you to divide and multiply before you add and subtract. So, without the brackets, you can't get a 3.

(By the way, why haven't you accepted my request yet? xd
EDIT: OK, I saw that you sent me one, but I never got a notification. Never mind, I accepted it now. 3nodding )  

Symbolism of number One

Symbolism of number One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:29 am
And... is it 30 squares?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:43 pm
Here's a fun similar math one for you:

0 0 0 0 = 24

Yes, it's possible, no jokes or tricks. You can use pretty much any math operation, as long as you don't add or remove any numbers. There's no limit to where you put things or how many things you put.

Ofedoty

Symbolism of number One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:50 pm
Could it be that the answer is putting a stroke over the equals sign and thus making it

0 + 0 + 0 + 0 not equal to 24 (I don't know how to post the actual sign)

Although, I don't believe that it is the answer. But you said any math operation, so... Does that include logarithm and exponentiation? lol I'm confused.

Or... how about this:
cos (0) + 0 + 0 + 0 = 24 (on the zeroth degree) Each number exponented by zero equals 1. And the cosine of zero is 1.

so, it'd be 1 + 0 + 0 + 0 = 1

But I don't believe that's the answer either.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:08 pm
You're right about being wrong. ^.^

Nope, you can only change the left side. Yes, pretty much anything's okay, including logs and trig functions.

If you use exponents, you can only go to the 0 power because anything else would be adding numbers.

(0^0) + (0^0) = 2
But not:
(0^0)^2 + ...
Because you added a 2.

Basically what I'm saying is add symbols, not numbers.

Ofedoty

Lightwater2520

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:15 pm
The answer to my question is 30. Good job symbolism of number one.
16 1x1s
9 2x2s
4 3x3s
1 4x4

for ofedoty, that problem is simple if you can move the equal sign, ex.
0+0+0=0x24
If not, than it becomes illegal.
Ex. 0/0+0/0=24

It is more a question of getting 24 = 0 than the other way around.

continuing with the 4x4 grid, how many different ways can you divide the grid into two identical parts? Note, they have to be divided along the grid lines and rotations and reflections do not count as different ones.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:32 pm
Yay!

Hmm... is it 6?  

Symbolism of number One

Mad Haru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:00 pm
Lightwater2520
I think 1/1 12:00:00

by the way, That was how to put a giraffe in a fridge

2. How do you put an elephant in a fridge?

yes.
however, you have failed to specify the year.
the full answer is 1/1/01 12:00:00.
the new millenium starts at the year 2001.
the last year of B.C. was 00 B.C.
therefore, the first year of the first A.D. millenium was 1 A.D.
ha!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:10 pm
Hey, when did you become a vampire?

Or have you been one for the past .... period since I joined the guild, but I just didn't notice?  

Symbolism of number One

Ofedoty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:20 pm
Lightwater2520
continuing with the 4x4 grid, how many different ways can you divide the grid into two identical parts? Note, they have to be divided along the grid lines and rotations and reflections do not count as different ones.

Nope, you can't move the equal sign. And yes, it's possible to make four 0's into 24.

As for your grid dividing riddle... is it 10?

"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 64 65 66 67 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games