Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ink_Weaver_Heart

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:14 pm
azrael the reaper
I am seeing many great ideas here.

I do not think just because you are "school" educated that you are necicarilly educated.
There are people who excelled in high school, but since 90% of high school teachings are pointless, they are out of their league in the real world. So they head to college, but never leave. They stay in college getting more and more, higher and higher degrees for the simple reason that they can not handle the real world, so they stay in the safety of the school system.
They are not educated in "the real world". They are so extremly learned in school survival and fear leaving its safety in which they always excelled. So therefore, those with high degrees are not necicarilly educated.

Pertaining to BOLD:
This statement is based upon your own thoughts and is entirely false. Nothing that is learned is useless or pointless. Nothing.

Education is based on two different standards, living, and societal. Living education standards are the standards of education that require us to survive and to function in our personal life. Societal education standards are the standards of education that people set forth to function in our community and society. Societal education consists of a schooled education and a factual base of knowledge. Living education consists of an either culturally learned or natural basis for survival knowledge.

Many people will challenge the societal education because they have not been taught beneath it, and do not wish to be measured in society wrongfully or be thought of as less. This is a natural acceptance response, though it will not be resolved through society's thinking. Society will not change its standards to fit everyone, because then they would not be standards. People have to either fall above it or below.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:24 pm
azrael the reaper
Gopher dude
An educated person is plain and simply.

Someone who has bine educated.

I.E they have gone to school and have bine taught up to and past a high school diploma.

no, that is a person who has been schooled. I mean educated. it has nothing to do with weather you can memorize a ton of "facts" taught by a school. (I have little faith in their "facts" as anything has the potential to be proven wrong)

You are catagorizing the school systems. And you are confusing "facts", as you call them, with the teaching of facts. It is true, almost anything has the ability to be proven wrong, but it is not up to the school systems to do that, or to deny that. Schools do not have the facts, nor do they create them.

Your challenging of facts is superficial in my opinion. Facts are only, in school, pertaining to classes that are not any music, math, science, languages, english (literary class), physical fitness, and styles of actions. Basically, history classes. These "facts" are called facts for a reason. They are believed by nearly everyone, and accepted also as a general truth.

Although when you speak of memorization, you speak of sciences, maths, and histories. Memorization is not what is learned by facts. You only practice memorization to learn and remember what you learned through memorization. You learn maths to deduce facts logically, and to function in society. You learn sceince to have a basic knowledge of why things are the way they are and how, which gives you more knowledge on how to react to different situations. You learn history to examine human behavior which will improve our future and communication and the ability to function with other people.

Just because you do not appreciate the knowledge that school provides, does not mean that it is not a good tool of education in today's, yesterday's, and tomorrow's worlds.

Ink_Weaver_Heart

Waiting for Lunch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:47 am
azrael the reaper
they should be sure you know the conventional answers, but should promote you to be open to alternative answers. in my experience, their answers are only correct until they end up proven wrong. i have been taught many things in earlier grades that were later taught to us to be incorrect later on in higher grades.
for example: negative numbers. in elementary, THERE WERE ABSOLUTLY NO NUMBERS BELOW ZERO!!!! but guess what? WRONG!!! so then, basically they waisted their time and mine getting it into my skull that there were no numbers below zero. I myself already knew there were, but i was in trouble if i argued that there were. not my fault if they are not ready to teach it to my classmates, but if i know about them, dont punish me........
that is fairly simple example, but you get the picture.

Haha, my poor sister knew about negative numbers in grammar school and was told she was wrong when she answered "2-3=?" with a negative number.

As far as I can see, an "educated person" defines himself by taking whatever knowledge he can get a hold of/is provided and taking something worthwhile out of it. I don't think that the things taught in the school systems are worthless to the people who will never use them in their future careers. The whole point is to give the opportunity to explore and find out more about oneself. If someone is forced to be in a course and doesn't take an interest, thereby shutting off any opportunity for growth, that could be considered a waste--the schools aren't perfect, of course--but at least the student knows that he'll have to look somewhere else to find something that does catch his eye.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:07 pm
Ink_Weaver_Heart
azrael the reaper
Gopher dude

I.E they have gone to school and have bine taught up to and past a high school diploma.

no, that is a person who has been schooled. I mean educated. it has nothing to do with weather you can memorize a ton of "facts" taught by a school. (I have little faith in their "facts" as anything has the potential to be proven wrong)

You are catagorizing the school systems. And you are confusing "facts", as you call them, with the teaching of facts. It is true, almost anything has the ability to be proven wrong, but it is not up to the school systems to do that, or to deny that. Schools do not have the facts, nor do they create them.

Your challenging of facts is superficial in my opinion. Facts are only, in school, pertaining to classes that are not any music, math, science, languages, english (literary class), physical fitness, and styles of actions. Basically, history classes. These "facts" are called facts for a reason. They are believed by nearly everyone, and accepted also as a general truth.

Although when you speak of memorization, you speak of sciences, maths, and histories. Memorization is not what is learned by facts. You only practice memorization to learn and remember what you learned through memorization. You learn maths to deduce facts logically, and to function in society. You learn sceince to have a basic knowledge of why things are the way they are and how, which gives you more knowledge on how to react to different situations. You learn history to examine human behavior which will improve our future and communication and the ability to function with other people.

Just because you do not appreciate the knowledge that school provides, does not mean that it is not a good tool of education in today's, yesterday's, and tomorrow's worlds.

actually, along with history, I ESPECIALLY include math and science in my issue on facts.
Science "facts" are constantly changing, as scientists make new disoveries. So, while we may be taught something about laws of nature, the workings of the human body, etc, it could very well be proven incorrect 5 minutes from now.

as to what is needed to learn: I am a computer major. why do I need biology?
I am not saying it is all TOTALLY pontless, I merely wish to say that some reqired things should be taught more detailed to certain people, depending on what they are actually doing with their lives.
ex: biology for doctors, zoology for vetrinarians, etc.

the only thing I truly believe is useful to everyone, beyond elementary school, is history. by the time elementary is over, we can read, spell, write, do the 4 basic maths (add, subtract, multiply, and divide). the core basics. From there, I believe we can begin to seperate out what is "required". I realize that not everyone knows what they want to do in life, not even by the time high school is over, but I believe that if you DO know what you want to do, you should begin to learn what is needed for it, rather than waste years of time learning things that you will NOT need. A vet needs zoology, not calculus. And a garbage man obviously does not need either.....  

azrael the reaper_95210

Your Random Lover

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:40 am
Their willingness to learn. If you don't want to learn then you don't.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:51 am
I think that someone who is educated understands the world and how it works (for example, knowing the history of the world to understand why they do certain things now). He or she also uses more logic than they would've and they would be much wiser through experience, such as with science.  

canadiane_sweetheart

SinginginSilence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:04 pm
SinginginSilence
azrael the reaper
Ink_Weaver_Heart
azrael the reaper
Gopher dude

actually, along with history, I ESPECIALLY include math and science in my issue on facts.
Science "facts" are constantly changing, as scientists make new disoveries. So, while we may be taught something about laws of nature, the workings of the human body, etc, it could very well be proven incorrect 5 minutes from now.

as to what is needed to learn: I am a computer major. why do I need biology?
I am not saying it is all TOTALLY pontless, I merely wish to say that some reqired things should be taught more detailed to certain people, depending on what they are actually doing with their lives.
ex: biology for doctors, zoology for vetrinarians, etc.

the only thing I truly believe is useful to everyone, beyond elementary school, is history. by the time elementary is over, we can read, spell, write, do the 4 basic maths (add, subtract, multiply, and divide). the core basics. From there, I believe we can begin to seperate out what is "required". I realize that not everyone knows what they want to do in life, not even by the time high school is over, but I believe that if you DO know what you want to do, you should begin to learn what is needed for it, rather than waste years of time learning things that you will NOT need. A vet needs zoology, not calculus. And a garbage man obviously does not need either.....

I fail to see the problem with scientists proving each other wrong. How else are we supposed to learn if no one tells us we are wrong? Everything is useful depending on how you look at it. A vet may not need calculus but he'll still need math in his every day work. As for a garbage man....you've got me there. I'm not sure everyone knows if they will be able to do what they want to do. That's why we must learn a variety of topics so if our #1 doesn't work we are sill equipped to find a #2. I wanted to be vocal performance major, there are a few thousand too many of those. I am a romance languages major and I love it. I would never have done so if I hadn't had a knack for it when I was forced to take a course.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:35 am
I think you can be educated by school get a degree.. But I think life experiences can make you educated as well. You can wisdom in life experiences as well as in college , school. You can be educated in math, science etc...but have the since to get out of the rain...Their are people who are street smart and handle what ever life throughs at them..  

ladyshari

Tasty Crayons

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:19 pm
Their choice in sunglasses.

Just joking.

What makes a person educated is how they live their life.

Saying that it is based on their college degrees, or their experiences, or their words seems to be too obvious. I figured I would try to throw out a different answer to ponder on tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:02 pm
What makes a person educated as for me is...being able to have a broader sense of self...it's not just the diplomas...! Hell! Even a scientist wouldn't still be able to understand the complexities of life itself, as a form and as a part of self...even I coudn't get it myself... xp Oh what the point is...it's not just the diploma, it's WISDOM what makes a person educated...and to tell you personally, it's higher than knowledge... biggrin

seriouscat_25

Mystical Cat

19,450 Points
  • The Committee Staff 25
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Cat Fancier 100

Shuyajin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:56 am
azrael the reaper
You heard me, what is it that decides whether a person is educated or not.

According to the lies that makes up society in our current world community, pieces of offical paper make you educated.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:04 am
Books...  

Lokhen

"PDF" § Philosophy & Discussions subForum §

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out